Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2021, 09:06 PM

15,609 posts, read 15,743,509 times

Advertisements

And, at the moment, France is roiled over a "non-binary pronoun." It's: iel.

And blames us.

In a Nonbinary Pronoun, France Sees a U.S. Attack on the Republic
When a French dictionary included the gender-nonspecific “iel” for the first time, a virulent reaction erupted over “wokisme” exported from American universities.

Perhaps France was always going to have a hard time with nonbinary pronouns. Its language is intensely gender-specific and fiercely protected by august authorities. Still, the furor provoked by a prominent dictionary’s inclusion of the pronoun “iel” has been remarkably virulent.
https://unforumnet.com/in-a-nonbinar...-the-republic/
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2021, 07:22 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,302,244 times
Default Great...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post

And blames us.

When a French dictionary included the gender-nonspecific “iel” for the first time, a virulent reaction erupted over “wokisme” exported from American universities.

Perhaps France was always going to have a hard time with nonbinary pronouns. Its language is intensely gender-specific and fiercely protected by august authorities. Still, the furor provoked by a prominent dictionary’s inclusion of the pronoun “iel” has been remarkably virulent.
I think what France is doing to protect their language is the right thing in this case. I am of Mexican heritage myself, and am also a US citizen, and I find what is happening in the US is complete bullshyt. The arrogance of the Left in the US is beyond reason as they try to change the language and culture to suit some fantasy that they live in without regard to the languages of the rest of the world who assign a gender to most objects. What bothers me the most is being 'corrected'. If I think in Spanish, how the hell am I supposed to drop gender when there are no such words, or means to describe objects in Spanish, unless Spanish speaking countries try to assign 'wokeism' words like the US doing?

France is correct on this one, don't buy this bullshyt from the United States. Here is the other thing that gets me... how many people do you know who are sincerely offended by these words? Or calling one him/her, or saying he/she? I have friends/family on both sides politically, and I have gay family members, and friends. Not one person I know is offended by it, it is just made up bullshyt from the Left, usually by a professor, or student in academia. Most of the US population just sits back, not wanting to offend anyone, so don't speak up. But most don't buy this new 'enlightenment', just FYI.

Old 12-20-2021, 06:18 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,153,281 times
Quote:

And blames us.

It's unquestionably a storm that arrived from the US or at least the Anglosphere. It's basically an attempt to find a French equivalent to "they".

Though in French it's a million times more complicated as not only are inanimate objects gendered (une table, un magasin) but so are a whole bunch of things associated with people: a man is "grand", a woman is "grande". A male lawyer is an "avocat", a female lawyer is an "avocate". And they're pronounced differently too. And when I conjugate a verb the ending is sometimes different depending on whether a male or female is involved.

Just got me thinking: I wonder how the Portuguese are dealing with "obrigado" and "obrigada", their word for "thank you" which is different in the case of males and females.

Old 12-21-2021, 11:57 AM

26,843 posts, read 22,665,634 times
Quote:

And blames us.

If the Latinos with their "gender-specific" Spanish could come up with Latinx, the French can bear "iel."

You can do it France!

Old 12-21-2021, 12:03 PM

Now when I think about it, Russians will have hard time (more so then other nations,) to come up with that "neutral gender" thing.
The problem is, it already exits in Russian language as it is, (on top of the feminine and muscular genders,) but in English its equivalent is "it" and can't be normally used for living breathing thing, other than "the monster."

I kid you not)))

Old 12-21-2021, 12:16 PM

14,391 posts, read 11,811,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Now when I think about it, Russians will have hard time (more so then other nations,) to come up with that "neutral gender" thing.
The problem is, it already exits in Russian language as it is, (on top of the feminine and muscular genders,) but in English its equivalent is "it" and can't be normally used for living breathing thing, other than "the monster."

I kid you not)))
German has three genders as well, and they're somewhat more cavalier about allowing humans in the "neuter" category (e.g. das Mädchen, das Fräulein, das Kind--all neuter, although they refer to a "girl, young woman, child" respectively). I suppose people who want to can request to be called "es" (technically "it"), rather than "er" (he) or "sie" (she).

Old 12-21-2021, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
German has three genders as well, and they're somewhat more cavalier about allowing humans in the "neuter" category (e.g. das Mädchen, das Fräulein, das Kind--all neuter, although they refer to a "girl, young woman, child" respectively). I suppose people who want to can request to be called "es" (technically "it"), rather than "er" (he) or "sie" (she).

I know.

But not the Russians and not the Russian language.
Both are not *cavalier* in this matter at all)))

Old 12-22-2021, 10:24 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,316,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's unquestionably a storm that arrived from the US or at least the Anglosphere. It's basically an attempt to find a French equivalent to "they".

Though in French it's a million times more complicated as not only are inanimate objects gendered (une table, un magasin) but so are a whole bunch of things associated with people: a man is "grand", a woman is "grande". A male lawyer is an "avocat", a female lawyer is an "avocate". And they're pronounced differently too. And when I conjugate a verb the ending is sometimes different depending on whether a male or female is involved.

Just got me thinking: I wonder how the Portuguese are dealing with "obrigado" and "obrigada", their word for "thank you" which is different in the case of males and females.

yeah, and also there's no such thing as neutral in French.

I guess as with some other debates, it is seen as something that works in the context of the anglosphere societies but not so much in the french society for various reasons, which means it must be adapted in some way.

Personally I don't really care all that much, and I don't think it will catch on soon, but I also don't live in France anymore.

In Italy there's a debate about the "schwa" sound which apparently is the french "e" sound, but I have yet to hear anyone pronounce it because it does not exist phonetically in italian. It's also a language where everything is gendered so it's kind of a challenge.

Old 12-22-2021, 11:30 AM

529 posts, read 558,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
In Italy there's a debate about the "schwa" sound which apparently is the french "e" sound, but I have yet to hear anyone pronounce it because it does not exist phonetically in italian. It's also a language where everything is gendered so it's kind of a challenge.
Oh yes, Michela Murgia and her followers… che puttanata colossale!

The schwa sound doesn’t exist in Italian but it’s pretty much one of the main defining features of Southern dialects (those spoken in Abruzzo, Molise, Campania, Basilicata, Calabria, Sicily).
Think for example of /‘napulə/ (Naples) in Neapolitan.

Old 12-22-2021, 07:37 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,153,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
yeah, and also there's no such thing as neutral in French.

I guess as with some other debates, it is seen as something that works in the context of the anglosphere societies but not so much in the french society for various reasons, which means it must be adapted in some way.

Personally I don't really care all that much, and I don't think it will catch on soon, but I also don't live in France anymore.

In my observation, a lot of "changes" that have been made to French over the years have been slow to catch on, or have not caught on at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe