Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2021, 07:43 PM

3,875 posts, read 4,712,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I think what France is doing to protect their language is the right thing in this case. I am of Mexican heritage myself, and am also a US citizen, and I find what is happening in the US is complete bullshyt. The arrogance of the Left in the US is beyond reason as they try to change the language and culture to suit some fantasy that they live in without regard to the languages of the rest of the world who assign a gender to most objects. What bothers me the most is being 'corrected'. If I think in Spanish, how the hell am I supposed to drop gender when there are no such words, or means to describe objects in Spanish, unless Spanish speaking countries try to assign 'wokeism' words like the US doing?

France is correct on this one, don't buy this bullshyt from the United States. Here is the other thing that gets me... how many people do you know who are sincerely offended by these words? Or calling one him/her, or saying he/she? I have friends/family on both sides politically, and I have gay family members, and friends. Not one person I know is offended by it, it is just made up bullshyt from the Left, usually by a professor, or student in academia. Most of the US population just sits back, not wanting to offend anyone, so don't speak up. But most don't buy this new 'enlightenment', just FYI.

I call bs on your invocation of politics into this and also on your over-generalization as well.

What the heck "fantasy world" (to use your own term) may I ask are you living in?

You write as though there's a great conspiracy suddenly afoot actively intent on changing language in the U.S. with a singular focus on pronouns.
In case you didn't know it, the Romance languages have been in an ongoing state of flux for eons.

Some language examples in point: Old world English has notable differences from our English as it is used here in the new world and the same thing goes for both French and for Spanish in terms of how they are spoken in the old world and in the new world.
And German has even changed in my lifetime from what what was spoken and how it was used when I worked there. What once was one of the most common female pronouns has been dropped from use over there.

None of what you claim is happening via leftists trying to change the language & that you also claim you are experiencing, as in being "corrected", ever happens anywhere in any business, academic or social circles in which I engage. Not.once.period!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2021, 07:56 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,144,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
I call bs on your invocation of politics into this and also on your over-generalization as well.

What the heck "fantasy world" (to use your own term) may I ask are you living in?

You write as though there's a great conspiracy suddenly afoot actively intent on changing language in the U.S. with a singular focus on pronouns.
In case you didn't know it, the Romance languages have been in an ongoing state of flux for eons.

Some language examples in point: Old world English has notable differences from our English as it is used here in the new world and the same thing goes for both French and for Spanish in terms of how they are spoken in the old world and in the new world.
And German has even changed in my lifetime from what what was spoken and how it was used when I worked there. What once was one of the most common female pronouns has been dropped from use over there.

None of what you claim is happening via leftists trying to change the language & that you also claim you are experiencing, as in being "corrected", ever happens anywhere in any business, academic or social circles in which I engage. Not.once.period!
Yes, of course. It couldn't possibly have anything to do with that.

Old 12-24-2021, 10:34 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,314,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Heat View Post
Oh yes, Michela Murgia and her followers… che puttanata colossale!

The schwa sound doesn’t exist in Italian but it’s pretty much one of the main defining features of Southern dialects (those spoken in Abruzzo, Molise, Campania, Basilicata, Calabria, Sicily).
Think for example of /‘napulə/ (Naples) in Neapolitan.

Actually I read one of her books on another subject and I found it interesting.

About that sound, it's weird because I've never paid attention to it in southern dialects which to me have more defining features like the silent single S, the shift from C to G and from T to D, the general dropping of the final consonant, the weird rhyming, the "sh" sound in the Naples dialect....

About that sound, it's just a hassle to change the whole language and I'd rather say something like "buongiorno tutte e tutti" which is far easier.

Old 12-26-2021, 11:45 PM

16,726 posts, read 29,606,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I think what France is doing to protect their language is the right thing in this case. I am of Mexican heritage myself, and am also a US citizen, and I find what is happening in the US is complete bullshyt. The arrogance of the Left in the US is beyond reason as they try to change the language and culture to suit some fantasy that they live in without regard to the languages of the rest of the world who assign a gender to most objects. What bothers me the most is being 'corrected'. If I think in Spanish, how the hell am I supposed to drop gender when there are no such words, or means to describe objects in Spanish, unless Spanish speaking countries try to assign 'wokeism' words like the US doing?

France is correct on this one, don't buy this bullshyt from the United States. Here is the other thing that gets me... how many people do you know who are sincerely offended by these words? Or calling one him/her, or saying he/she? I have friends/family on both sides politically, and I have gay family members, and friends. Not one person I know is offended by it, it is just made up bullshyt from the Left, usually by a professor, or student in academia. Most of the US population just sits back, not wanting to offend anyone, so don't speak up. But most don't buy this new 'enlightenment', just FYI.
Very smart post. Spot on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe