Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2022, 03:40 AM

86 posts, read 45,877 times

Advertisements

Why does Polish, Czech, Russian or Ukranian cuisine is by no means as widespread as Italian, French, Spanish or even German cuisine.

Do those countries lack of distinctive Dishes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2022, 06:58 AM

86 posts, read 45,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrus.vanholst View Post
Actually outside southern Europe (The Latin one), European cuisine is hardly known.

Greece, Italy, France, Spain is what people think about when they say European cuisine.

When was the last time you heard someone say:

- Let's go to a nice Norwegian restaurant!
- I am craving Austrian food!

Can you name a Dutch dish?

European food = French, Spain, Italy, Greece.
Yes I know Stamppot or whatever the name it is, smashed potatoes with vegetables and a sausage.

You also have several food consisting of herring and onion in the nordsee, Frikandelle speciaal,

I know more sweet things like oliebollen, stroopwafells and appelflap.

So Actually the Name European would be quite inaccurate, I´d rather decribe those cuisine as "Mediterranean Food"

Old 01-10-2022, 11:22 AM

5 posts, read 2,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel4Food View Post
Why does Polish, Czech, Russian or Ukranian cuisine is by no means as widespread as Italian, French, Spanish or even German cuisine.

Because eating out is a part of cultural prestige western nations (especially former colonial powers) diligently protect. So it's perfectly predictable they certainly can't allow some Slavistan xyz country beating them at that.

Or anything else for that matter.

Old 01-10-2022, 12:50 PM

6,819 posts, read 4,267,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrus.vanholst View Post
Actually outside southern Europe (The Latin one), European cuisine is hardly known.

Greece, Italy, France, Spain is what people think about when they say European cuisine.

When was the last time you heard someone say:

- Let's go to a nice Norwegian restaurant!
- I am craving Austrian food!

Can you name a Dutch dish?

European food = French, Spain, Italy, Greece.
Austrian food is pretty popular, it's just typically called German food. Apfelstrudel is famous enough that it has its own Wiki page in two dozen languages: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_strudel.

Old 01-10-2022, 05:38 PM

24,632 posts, read 10,958,690 times
Name something Ukrainian that stands out.

Old 01-10-2022, 06:09 PM

14,343 posts, read 11,738,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel4Food View Post
Why does Polish, Czech, Russian or Ukrainian cuisine is by no means as widespread as Italian, French, Spanish or even German cuisine.

There are certainly parts of the US where many people of Polish, Russian, etc. descent live, and in those areas the cuisine of their native countries are prominent to this day. I had a friend with a Polish last name who came from Wisconsin. She was always talking about pierogis...I had to ask her what they were the first time, as living in California I had never encountered them. She was shocked to hear that, as they are very common in her part of the Midwest.

I think one reason those foods are not as widespread as Italian, etc., is that until comparatively recent times, the countries were not very open for other Westerners to visit. And even when they opened, they were not high on the list of tourist spots compared to France, et al., so the cuisine is just not widely familiar.

And, to be honest, if people think about it at all, they think of Eastern European food as being "heavy" and uninteresting, basically meat, potatoes, cabbage and bread. This may very well be wrong, but it is the stereotype (German food also has this stereotype). So maybe what Eastern European food needs a PR campaign.

Old 01-10-2022, 08:54 PM

7,376 posts, read 4,159,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
There are certainly parts of the US where many people of Polish, Russian, etc. descent live, and in those areas the cuisine of their native countries are prominent to this day. I had a friend with a Polish last name who came from Wisconsin. She was always talking about pierogis...I had to ask her what they were the first time, as living in California I had never encountered them. She was shocked to hear that, as they are very common in her part of the Midwest.
Just adding: There are tons of Polish restaurants in NYC. Throughout NYC, pierogis are pretty common.

Even in Williamsburg VA, there is a Polish food store with imported food from Poland and Greenpoint, Brooklyn.

I made Danish smorgasbord open sandwiches (non meat, only fish/eggs) on Christmas Eve. We had
Speculoos cookies from Belgium too.

Old 01-10-2022, 09:04 PM

1,348 posts, read 628,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Name something Ukrainian that stands out.
For historical reasons, Russian, Ukrainian, Belarusian, Polish, Lithuanian cuisines are all mixed up. And that's why there are identical dishes in different variations in these kitchens. The same borscht is available in Russian, Ukrainian and Polish cuisines. Or dumplings - there are both in Russian and in Ukrainian and in Belarusian and in Polish. Although Polish cuisine is more different than Russian, Ukrainian and Belarusian.

Old 01-10-2022, 09:17 PM

13,080 posts, read 7,541,093 times
Eastern Europe: The past month we made Borscht stew 2x. Each making is good for 3 days for the 2 of us.
ox-tail now at $12/# cheap. Add in cabbage at $1.29/#, carrots, turnips, potatoes, and what ever, Borscht becomes a very expensive dish.

We also prefer the heavier, multigrain breads.

Last edited by leastprime; 01-10-2022 at 09:26 PM..

Old 01-10-2022, 09:24 PM

2,409 posts, read 1,534,852 times
Des Moines, Iowa of all places has a bunch of Bosnian restaurants. Saw them on a road trip a few years ago. I found that peculiar. Now I wish I had eaten at least 1 meal there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe