Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2022, 12:06 AM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times

Advertisements

Gotcha.
Looking good.

In my case - I was talking about this one

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...al_Russia.html

and this one ( fish, sea food only)

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1...UkQoip6BAgyEAM

Am still on a fence regarding the first one...

P.S. Holodez - that's aspic here.

(Just not as good...)

Last edited by erasure; 01-12-2022 at 12:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2022, 12:23 AM

2,219 posts, read 1,324,871 times
Besides Ukrainian and Russian sausages, we also have Polish delicacies.
https://sikorski.ca/

Old 01-12-2022, 12:28 AM

1,348 posts, read 624,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Gotcha.

P.S. Holodez - that's aspic here.

(Just not as good...)
No that's not holodez. It's aspic (заливное). It are very similar, but it are different things.

https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%A5...B4%D0%B5%D1%86

Old 01-12-2022, 12:50 AM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimogor View Post
No that's not holodez. It's aspic (заливное). It are very similar, but it are different things.

https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%A5...B4%D0%B5%D1%86

No wonder I couldn't figure out why one (back in Russia) was better than the other, since I thought it was one and the same thing)))

This should tell you right there, how much I pay attention to what I eat)))
I rarely put my mind into these kind of things, unless I am really, really impressed; sometimes it comes as *surprise* sorta...

French cuisine comes to mind, and some exotic stuff - Africa, Philippines - somewhere in that direction...
That's when I finally might start paying attention.

Old 01-12-2022, 07:58 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrus.vanholst View Post

3. Eastern European food looks outdated to 21st century foodies: Someone mentioned Caviar, but Caviar is Central Asian. Russians eat it because of the Soviet Union expanding to Central Asian republics and adopting it. .
The Central Asian territories were annexed by Russia during imperial times, most in the 19th Century. Central Asia's influence on Russian culture and cooking goes back much farther than the USSR, and through trade, predated even the area's annexation by Russia.

Where are you getting your so-called "information"?

Old 01-12-2022, 10:00 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Fast food?

Was it any good I wonder?
Ukranian food is pretty common in parts of Canada. On the prairies especially. Some refer to Edmonton as
Edmonchuk.

Even in Vancouver every grocery store is going to be selling perogies of various fillings in the frozen food section.

Polish or Ukranian? Most here think of them as Ukrainian, but of course the Poles do have a valid claim, and we tend to use the Polish rather than the Ukranian name(s) like Pedaheh.

There was a chain of fast food joints.

https://hunkybills.com

Old 01-12-2022, 10:14 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrus.vanholst View Post
Actually outside southern Europe (The Latin one), European cuisine is hardly known.

Greece, Italy, France, Spain is what people think about when they say European cuisine.

When was the last time you heard someone say:

- Let's go to a nice Norwegian restaurant!
- I am craving Austrian food!

Can you name a Dutch dish?

European food = French, Spain, Italy, Greece.
Sure! kool sla, anglicized to cole slaw.

I'm of Dutch descent. We ate fairly bland meals of meat, potatoes, and vegetables. Dutch baking is really good, but the food itself was a lot of stews and pot roasts (hence the cooking pot called the Dutch oven). I grew up in northern NJ, 30 miles from the city (NY), in a town where so many people were of Dutch descent that the town hall and the fire house have little windmills in front. I was astonished to see "Dutch" listed on the supermarket aisles in rural Ontario along with the Asian and other foreign foods. It's mostly cookies, but there are Holland rusks, too, which we ate as kids for breakfast.

But the premise of the OP is true. I am 63, and it's only in the past seven or eight years that I ever ate a perogi. I heard the word, but I didn't really know what they were until a Jewish friend had me over for dinner and made some as a side dish. Then I met a Canadian of Ukrainian descent for whom perogies (yes, I know the plural is wrong) who considered them a meal in and of themselves along with bits of some kind of bacon thing I can't pronounce and doesn't have enough vowels.

And to my amazement, his sisters actually made perogies at home and brought us a bag, along with some cabbage rolls. I also got their late mother's borscht recipe and made some.

Then to top it off, the Uke-Canadian makes this thing his late Polish wife taught him. Phonetically, it's called stujenitz. You boil down pork and beef bones, skim the foam off the top, let it cool, pull out the bones, and let the remaining bits of meat and broth jell in the fridge. Then you peel away the top layer of fat, put some in a bowl with salt, pepper, and vinegar, and eat it cold.

I used to be a vegetarian, and the first time I saw that stuff, I was horrified...and now I love it.

This is a good thread.

Old 01-12-2022, 10:15 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel4Food View Post
Yes I know Stamppot or whatever the name it is, smashed potatoes with vegetables and a sausage.

You also have several food consisting of herring and onion in the nordsee, Frikandelle speciaal,

I know more sweet things like oliebollen, stroopwafells and appelflap.

So Actually the Name European would be quite inaccurate, I´d rather decribe those cuisine as "Mediterranean Food"
I think that's accurate.

Old 01-12-2022, 10:20 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Sure! kool sla, anglicized to cole slaw.

I'm of Dutch descent. We ate fairly bland meals of meat, potatoes, and vegetables. Dutch baking is really good, but the food itself was a lot of stews and pot roasts (hence the cooking pot called the Dutch oven). I grew up in northern NJ, 30 miles from the city (NY), in a town where so many people were of Dutch descent that the town hall and the fire house have little windmills in front. I was astonished to see "Dutch" listed on the supermarket aisles in rural Ontario along with the Asian and other foreign foods. It's mostly cookies, but there are Holland rusks, too, which we ate as kids for breakfast.

But the premise of the OP is true. I am 63, and it's only in the past seven or eight years that I ever ate a perogi. I heard the word, but I didn't really know what they were until a Jewish friend had me over for dinner and made some as a side dish. Then I met a Canadian of Ukrainian descent for whom perogies (yes, I know the plural is wrong) who considered them a meal in and of themselves along with bits of some kind of bacon thing I can't pronounce and doesn't have enough vowels.

And to my amazement, his sisters actually made perogies at home and brought us a bag, along with some cabbage rolls. I also got their late mother's borscht recipe and made some.

Then to top it off, the Uke-Canadian makes this thing his late Polish wife taught him. Phonetically, it's called stujenitz. You boil down pork and beef bones, skim the foam off the top, let it cool, pull out the bones, and let the remaining bits of meat and broth jell in the fridge. Then you peel away the top layer of fat, put some in a bowl with salt, pepper, and vinegar, and eat it cold.

I used to be a vegetarian, and the first time I saw that stuff, I was horrified...and now I love it.

This is a good thread.
https://www.cbc.ca/arts/how-a-giant-...town-1.5285906

Old 01-12-2022, 10:42 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Name something Ukrainian that stands out.
Chicken Kiev
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe