Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2022, 11:46 AM

24,508 posts, read 10,825,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimogor View Post
For historical reasons, Russian, Ukrainian, Belarusian, Polish, Lithuanian cuisines are all mixed up. And that's why there are identical dishes in different variations in these kitchens. The same borscht is available in Russian, Ukrainian and Polish cuisines. Or dumplings - there are both in Russian tionand in Ukrainian and in Belarusian and in Polish. Although Polish cuisine is more different than Russian, Ukrainian and Belarusian.
And what does this have to do with my question? Cabbage is cabbage but what is special about food from the Ukraine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2022, 12:03 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel4Food View Post
Why does Polish, Czech, Russian or Ukranian cuisine is by no means as widespread as Italian, French, Spanish or even German cuisine.

Do those countries lack of distinctive Dishes?
That's changing. Polish restaurants, Russian cafes, Czech, even Lithuanian eateries are growing in number across the US. Just today, someone sent me a link to a tourism website that was featuring a newer Polish restaurant in Seattle, for one of their weekly featured destinations. Denver and suburbs have over a half-dozen Russian delicatessens and restaurants. The Russian Tea Room in NYC has been a popular place to see-and-be-seen for generations. (A celebrity hangout.)

I could go on. I don't know what part of the US you're in (if you're in the US), but these cuisines have been around for a long time. There are a number of midwestern cities that have large Romanian, Serbian and Croatian populations, and they have their restaurants. The popularity isn't limited to the coasts as all.

And btw, I've never heard anyone say, "Let's go out for German tonight." German bakeries are popular where they exist, but there aren't too many German restaurants, AFAIK.

Old 01-11-2022, 12:53 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,534,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel4Food View Post
Why does Polish, Czech, Russian or Ukranian cuisine is by no means as widespread as Italian, French, Spanish or even German cuisine.

Do those countries lack of distinctive Dishes?

You've never heard of caviar?

Bliny with caviar for example?

How about borsh or Stroganoff?
Never hear of it?

That's Russian.

But overall, I don't know about other cuisines mentioned here, but Russians are definitely slacking when it comes to opening restaurants in other countries and making their cuisine to be known internationally.

Because they COULD of figured out what would be popular elsewhere, they just don't care to get into this kind of business.

Old 01-11-2022, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrus.vanholst View Post
In big part Western European cuisine is far more renown because of the reason you state.

1. Colonization: The world was colonized by Spain, France amongst other Western European powers. Italians migrated worldwide so did Greeks.

That gave Western Europe more projection.

2. Prejudice towards the Slavic world as you point out: Then there is the eternal Western European (Germanic/Latin) superiority complex/prejudice towards the Slavic world. That disregard still persists up to this day.

3. Eastern European food looks outdated to 21st century foodies: Someone mentioned Caviar, but Caviar is Central Asian. Russians eat it because of the Soviet Union expanding to Central Asian republics and adopting it. But yes, borscht and whatever. The point is Eastern European food is relatively outdated for 21st century cuisine, very heavy, starchy, fattening.

I lived in Central Europe and the cooking will give you a heart attack. (Beer, fried pork, mash potatoes, and giant piece of bread), if that does not destroy your arteries nothing will.

As for Northern Europe, their cuisine is like their culture, relatively modest. (Salmon and some fruit sauce with mash potatoes) yay.

That "someone" would be me, and you are talking nonsense.

This is the map of the Russian Empire ( do you even know the difference with the USSR, or you are not educated enough?) And of course caviar goes back to Imperial Russia, not Soviet times.
Now if you'll look into Russian cuisine, it probably has at least three layers to it.

The original one, (that dates most likely back to the times of the Kievan Russia, hence borsh is a common dish for both Russians and Ukrainians alike,) 2. then the dishes "borrowed" from the incorporated/conquered Asian population and tweaked to Russian liking, and 3. -old European cuisine (this goes to France and Germany first of all, since a lot of French/Germans moved to Russia/served at the Russian Imperial court, served Russian nobility and so on.

And yet again - tweaked for Russian taste.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-11-2022, 02:32 PM

6,789 posts, read 4,230,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
And btw, I've never heard anyone say, "Let's go out for German tonight." German bakeries are popular where they exist, but there aren't too many German restaurants, AFAIK.

Most bigger U.S. cities will have a few German restaurants, often tied into beer gardens and German stores. But it's most certainly not comparable to say Mexican or Chinese food in terms of density (but then what is?) If we don't count dedicated pizza places (which aren't very Italian if we are honest) then even Italian restaurants aren't that common anymore.

In truth, all European cuisines have become less popular in the U.S. amidst the rise of Mexican food and the various Asian cuisines. Part of it is that the more popular dishes from European cuisines became very Americanized a long time ago, and there just isn't the presence of recent immigrants to keep the more authentic stuff present on a large scale.

I myself am guilty as charged as I probably get Mexican or Asian 9 out of 10 times when eating restaurant food.

Old 01-11-2022, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Most bigger U.S. cities will have a few German restaurants, often tied into beer gardens and German stores. But it's most certainly not comparable to say Mexican or Chinese food in terms of density (but then what is?) If we don't count dedicated pizza places (which aren't very Italian if we are honest) then even Italian restaurants aren't that common anymore.

In truth, all European cuisines have become less popular in the U.S. amidst the rise of Mexican food and the various Asian cuisines. Part of it is that the more popular dishes from European cuisines became very Americanized a long time ago, and there just isn't the presence of recent immigrants to keep the more authentic stuff present on a large scale.

I myself am guilty as charged as I probably get Mexican or Asian 9 out of 10 times when eating restaurant food.

Of course.

Northern European cuisine is much closer to "American cuisine," so chances are, Americans will forgo it and will go for the generic "American cuisine" - that kind of places, if they are not into spicier foods.

But if they are - then Oriental or Mexican it is. ( Although I am not well familiar with the latter one to be honest.)

Old 01-11-2022, 03:00 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
3. Eastern European food looks outdated to 21st century foodies: Someone mentioned Caviar, but Caviar is Central Asian. Russians eat it because of the Soviet Union expanding to Central Asian republics and adopting it. But yes, borscht and whatever. The point is Eastern European food is relatively outdated for 21st century cuisine, very heavy, starchy, fattening.

I lived in Central Europe and the cooking will give you a heart attack. (Beer, fried pork, mash potatoes, and giant piece of bread), if that does not destroy your arteries nothing will.

As for Northern Europe, their cuisine is like their culture, relatively modest. (Salmon and some fruit sauce with mash potatoes) yay.
Excuse me, but your "whatever" is my comfort food! And beef Stroganoff, and stuffed cabbage rolls are not heavy or starchy. And in case you hadn't noticed, everyone relies heavily on potatoes: the French (though in a more refined form), the Germanic cultures as you pointed out, and Scandinavians fill up on potatoes, too, as well as bread. While Russians use potatoes, they enjoy rice as an alternative, which tends to come from the Central Asian and Near Eastern influences, but remember: rice pilaf is a Russian dish (via Central Asia/Near East).

Old 01-11-2022, 03:03 PM

24,508 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Quote:
In big part Western European cuisine is far more renown because of the reason you state.

1. Colonization: The world was colonized by Spain, France amongst other Western European powers. Italians migrated worldwide so did Greeks.

That gave Western Europe more projection.

2. Prejudice towards the Slavic world as you point out: Then there is the eternal Western European (Germanic/Latin) superiority complex/prejudice towards the Slavic world. That disregard still persists up to this day.

Did you post with an other Nick in the past?

Old 01-11-2022, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Did you post with an other Nick in the past?

Can it be our friend Irene then, reincarnated?

( I might be wrong of course, but... )

Old 01-11-2022, 04:13 PM

403 posts, read 221,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
That "someone" would be me, and you are talking nonsense.

This is the map of the Russian Empire ( do you even know the difference with the USSR, or you are not educated enough?) And of course caviar goes back to Imperial Russia, not Soviet times.
Now if you'll look into Russian cuisine, it probably has at least three layers to it.

The original one, (that dates most likely back to the times of the Kievan Russia, hence borsh is a common dish for both Russians and Ukrainians alike,) 2. then the dishes "borrowed" from the incorporated/conquered Asian population and tweaked to Russian liking, and 3. -old European cuisine (this goes to France and Germany first of all, since a lot of French/Germans moved to Russia/served at the Russian Imperial court, served Russian nobility and so on.

And yet again - tweaked for Russian taste.

Hope this helps.
Hope this, photo circa 1891? helps too:

https://twitter.com/elabuzhanin/stat...224064/photo/1

and this:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/8c/61...2e2304fd10.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe