Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2022, 08:07 PM

1,348 posts, read 633,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post

Incidentally, I read that the original Olivier salad was far more exotic when invented by the chef, and included obscure meats like grouse. I don't even know if grouse is commercially available in any country, but I'd be curious to try the original nonetheless.
In principle, now it is not a problem to make Olivier according to the original recipe. I can buy all the ingredients that were originally. And grouse and capers and olives and everything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2022, 08:50 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,252,062 times
I might get roasted for this but in my opinion outside of France and Italy, European cuisine is fairly unremarkable. Even in Spain, where I used to live, it wasn’t particularly impressive especially when compared to Latin American cuisine. So I don’t get why Eastern European cuisine is getting singled out here. And England? I’m an Anglophile to the core. The food is not why I love England.

Old 01-13-2022, 10:25 PM

17,874 posts, read 16,034,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
What is Ukrainian about cabbage soup?
They eat a lot of it. Even cold sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I've always thought of that as Russian. I guess it is common to several countries/regions in the area; anyway it is not specifically Ukrainian any more even though Google says it may have originated there.

Borscht is made from beets, not cabbage.
Its Slavic. But all nearby countries have a variation. Even the Romanians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrus.vanholst View Post
I lived in Central Europe and I am familiar with the food in the area.

I do not know Eastern European food though because Russian/Ukrainian/Belarus food is different from the food you find in Hungary, Czech Republic etc.

The issue with the food from those regions it's how heavy it is.
Everything must have fried pork in it.
Bloating vegetables often pickled.
Large amounts of fatty sauces.
Potatoes in all of their varieties.

It is more comfort food if anything.

Chefs upgrade foods to make them more suitable to the modern days. Less calories, more balanced etc.
Western European food such as the Spanish and French have gone through such upgrades. However Eastern European food is in need of an upgrade. Not sure it's happening.
There is a lot of overlap. Czech those has a lot of German influence, but so does Poland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrus.vanholst View Post
Pork is common in Central Europe due to Germanic influence which Russia lacks.

German cuisine has a lot of pork in it.

We can convey Eastern European food simply does not suit 21st tastes where people are looking to eat healthier, less caloric, smaller portions.

Tapas, Sushi, Tacos, Vegetarian, and more.

Hungarian food for example is amazing and Hungarian chefs are reinventing it to make it less hearty and more modern.

But it's a process the French and Spanish started decades ago with their food, so it will take time.

Peru for example reinvented its cuisine and now has Michelin star restaurants based on Peruvian cuisine everywhere.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...mageBasicHover
Russia has a ton of Germanic Influence just like the Baltics. Catherine the Great herself is German. One of the place the Russians looked to in order to become more modernized during the Renaissance, and after was German States like Prussia.

Old 01-14-2022, 03:12 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,632,216 times
In the elite circle of flagship New Orleans restaurants, four of them were German: Fabacher's, Vonderbank's, Gluck's and Kolb's. I've eaten at Kolbs, -- I think they're all gone now.

Old 01-14-2022, 03:32 AM

14,824 posts, read 12,080,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I might get roasted for this but in my opinion outside of France and Italy, European cuisine is fairly unremarkable. Even in Spain, where I used to live, it wasn’t particularly impressive especially when compared to Latin American cuisine. So I don’t get why Eastern European cuisine is getting singled out here. And England? I’m an Anglophile to the core. The food is not why I love England.
I am a huge fan of Chinese food, Italian food and of course Indian food (VERY popular here in the UK), but I have to say that my mothers Sunday roast and a properly done full English breakfast is a match for any of those! A quick tip, fish and chips in the UK can be very hit and miss but if anybody wants to try 'proper' British fish and chips then the best chance for a decent example would be to (unsurprisingly) head to the coast, you have to have fresh fish, freshly cooked in the right amount of batter and the chips have to be a decent size and cooked properly. There is a place in Eastbourne that does fabulous fish and chips and they make their own fabulous tartare sauce too, there is also a place in Eastbourne where the fish and chips are nothing special, I won't mention names.

Old 01-14-2022, 08:15 AM

14,392 posts, read 11,811,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
There is a place in Eastbourne that does fabulous fish and chips and they make their own fabulous tartare sauce too, there is also a place in Eastbourne where the fish and chips are nothing special, I won't mention names.
Well, that's not very helpful, is it? Why not mention names? I'm sure anyone going there would want to try the good place.

Old 01-14-2022, 08:23 AM

6,859 posts, read 4,312,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post

It's funny that we say Latin American cuisine when really it's 99.9% Mexican cuisine and usually an American-influenced version of it that is eaten in the U.S. It's not impossible to find food from say El Salvador or Venezuela especially in the neighborhoods where there's many immigrants from those places, but they have about as much of an impact on American eating in general as the more obscure European cuisines.

I also think it's funny that French keeps getting mentioned when I'd argue that well over 90% of the population does not eat at French restaurants. Even here in a major East Coast metropolitan area with a very international touch and a sizable community of French people there aren't a *lot* of French options and if we discount the bars and bistro-style offerings we're left with a handful of sit-down places with pretty high prices that automatically exclude a large % of the population.

And that's really the rub of it. French cuisine is influential because it has prestige and many ambitious chefs go to France to train as a result, but it's not really popular which is after all derived from the Latin "popularis" meaning "belonging to the people, general, common".

Old 01-14-2022, 08:37 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,146,785 times
Ukrainian Food trucks have been having a good run of it lately here in my local area in Alabama as people discover the food. I would say that people just had never heard of it or ever had it around here much. People go and visit places like France, Italy, etc... and come back with a penchant for the food. I almost never hear someone say.... I'm going to visit Ukraine or Czechoslovakia much (well, never) or even Poland (my roots) so they largely remain unaware of the foods there so there's no trying to replicate it here. If there were the draw for tourism in those places like there are for some of the others, it might be a different story. And like someone else said, it's relatively unremarkable. Tasty (much of it anyway) but just doesn't have the presentation as the other European food. And for places like Poland, in much of the US... you just can't even find anything close to the sausages from there.

Old 01-14-2022, 09:38 AM

26,847 posts, read 22,665,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
They eat a lot of it. Even cold sometimes.

No, that would be "svekolnik."
Or it can be "okroshka."

That's when Russians discover that it's kinda hot outside ( summer) and they need to switch their soups from hot to cold versions)))

( Actually, I found the page in wiki with the description of typical Russian cuisine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Russian_dishes

Quote:
Russia has a ton of Germanic Influence just like the Baltics. Catherine the Great herself is German. One of the place the Russians looked to in order to become more modernized during the Renaissance, and after was German States like Prussia.
Yes.

The sausages ( and by that I don't mean American kind of sausages - those go under a different name in Russia - mostly "sardelka,") but the kinds that you'd find in Germany ( and the rest of Central/Eastern Europe.)
(Closer to "summer sausage" kind, but huge varieties of it - cold smoked, hot smoked, cured, boiled, and so on.)
And "schnitzel" is called the same in Russia ( I am sure there are other German names of the dishes in Russia, I just don't remember off top.)

And that's when we are talking CUISINE only.

Old 01-14-2022, 11:05 AM

14,824 posts, read 12,080,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Well, that's not very helpful, is it? Why not mention names? I'm sure anyone going there would want to try the good place.
Am I allowed to though!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe