Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2022, 11:07 AM

86 posts, read 46,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I might get roasted for this but in my opinion outside of France and Italy, European cuisine is fairly unremarkable. Even in Spain, where I used to live, it wasn’t particularly impressive especially when compared to Latin American cuisine. So I don’t get why Eastern European cuisine is getting singled out here. And England? I’m an Anglophile to the core. The food is not why I love England.
Well, you could do a similar point for Latin American cuisine, You have Mexican and Peruvian cuisine, the rest lag million of years behind, what is special of Chilean, Paraguayan or even Argentinean cuisine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2022, 11:11 AM

3,494 posts, read 2,836,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel4Food View Post
Well, you could do a similar point for Latin American cuisine, You have Mexican and Peruvian cuisine, the rest lag million of years behind, what is special of Chilean, Paraguayan or even Argentinean cuisine?
You are just as likely to find pasta dishes on an Argentinian restaurant menu as you are grilled meat.

Old 01-14-2022, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
You are just as likely to find pasta dishes on an Argentinian restaurant menu as you are grilled meat.
Yes but it is overall quite simple food, nothing extremely elaborated or "Special", Argentinean restaurants are renowned for having "The best quality of red meat" but not the elaboration of the dish or the widest array of different products..

The most Rich and complex cuisine lays around the European Mediterranean areas, the Near East, North Africa and the Middle east

Old 01-14-2022, 11:17 AM

14,823 posts, read 12,076,009 times
Quote:
Yes but it is overall quite simple food, nothing extremely elaborated or "Special", Argentinean restaurants are renowned for having "The best quality of red meat" but not the elaboration of the dish or the widest array of different products..

The most Rich and complex cuisine lays around the European Mediterranean areas, the Near East, North Africa and the Middle east
Sometimes the simplest of ingredients make the best food, it doesn't have to be a lot of messing about to be nice, some of the nicest dishes on the planet are very simple to make.

Old 01-14-2022, 11:20 AM

The Eastern European cuisine Americans are most familiar with - even if they don’t recognize it as such - is Ashkenazi Jewish cuisine.

Old 01-14-2022, 11:24 AM

Quote:
The Eastern European cuisine Americans are most familiar with - even if they don’t recognize it as such - is Ashkenazi Jewish cuisine.
Sure, but it would be like having as Romanian good the Gypsy Food, Ashkenazi Jews are not Ethnically Eastern Europeans.

Old 01-14-2022, 12:07 PM

6,849 posts, read 4,306,547 times
Quote:

That's why if you're of Central or Eastern European extraction, Jewish delis can be an acceptable substitute if you have no option for your own cuisine near you. It's certainly much closer than what you get at the Italian-American delis.

Old 01-14-2022, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Sure, but it would be like having as Romanian good the Gypsy Food, Ashkenazi Jews are not Ethnically Eastern Europeans.
Why wouldn’t they be? They have been there since who knows when.

Old 01-14-2022, 04:14 PM

14,390 posts, read 11,802,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Am I allowed to though!?
Of course you can mention restaurants by name!

Old 01-14-2022, 04:36 PM

102,263 posts, read 108,293,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post

Russia has a ton of Germanic Influence just like the Baltics. Catherine the Great herself is German. One of the place the Russians looked to in order to become more modernized during the Renaissance, and after was German States like Prussia.
Russian engineering used to be among the best in the world. Because they brought it in from Germany. I'm not sure, but this may have been Catherine's doing, too. After a couple of generations of the Soviet period, I have no idea if they retained the high standards they had before. They did their best to maintain ties with Germany, but after 1917, it was East German engineering, whatever that is.

Sorry, I didn't mean to wander off-topic...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe