Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2022, 04:01 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,016,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I am not tempted by fast foods, ( may be slice of pizza here and there,) but what are "Cornish pastries"?
They are pastries but the official term is Cornish pasty (no R), they were traditionally made for the tin miners of Cornwall, the shape of the pasty is 'half moon' with a crimped edge, the crimped edge was called the 'Oggie'. They threw away the oggies' thick, wide pastry edges after eating the rest of their meal, to avoid being poisoned by tin or copper dust (which contained traces of arsenic) from their fingers. I've heard that they were sometimes baked with a 'savoury' half and a 'sweet' half, effectively it was a meal that a miner could fit into his pocket.

https://www.historic-uk.com/CultureU...Cornish-Pasty/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasty

The pasty was taken to the US and Australia by emigrating miners there are Cornish pasty restaurants in these countries too:-

https://www.cornishpastyco.com/
https://www.properpasty.com.au/

Like many simple foods found throughout the world a pasty was simple 'working class' food originally made from easy to source cheap ingredients that has now become a bit of a 'delicacy'.

My favourite pasty's - Steak & ale, lamb & minted peas, cheese & onion and the traditional which consists of beef, onion, swede (turnip) and potato.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2022, 07:59 PM

77 posts, read 35,256 times
reason is not big in west east/balkan food is because it is meat and bread based. on top of that it is amazing and it is full of carbs. and west want more veggies and east europe is more of dairy and meat

Old 01-19-2022, 08:09 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,526,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
They are pastries but the official term is Cornish pasty (no R), they were traditionally made for the tin miners of Cornwall, the shape of the pasty is 'half moon' with a crimped edge, the crimped edge was called the 'Oggie'. They threw away the oggies' thick, wide pastry edges after eating the rest of their meal, to avoid being poisoned by tin or copper dust (which contained traces of arsenic) from their fingers. I've heard that they were sometimes baked with a 'savoury' half and a 'sweet' half, effectively it was a meal that a miner could fit into his pocket.

https://www.historic-uk.com/CultureU...Cornish-Pasty/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasty

That's interesting, because as I once discovered they were using similar concept in Russia ( back in Tzarist times,) with the famous "kalach" ( ch as in "chair") bread.

"Kalach usually looks like a circle, but one part of it is significantly thinner, and the other is significantly thicker. The traditional explanation is that the thinner part was used as a "handle" so kalach could be eaten even by workers who had no time to wash their hands. After eating, the handle was thrown away or given to the poor. Because only desperate people ate the handles that had been thrown away, this is thought to be the origin of the Russian saying "go down to the handle" (дойти до ручки, doyti do ruchki) meaning to experience a profound setback, to hit rock bottom"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalach_(food)

But that's still when Russian bread was of awesome quality ( probably the best in the world,) not today, obviously, including that "kalach."

Quote:
The pasty was taken to the US and Australia by emigrating miners there are Cornish pasty restaurants in these countries too:-

https://www.cornishpastyco.com/
https://www.properpasty.com.au/

Like many simple foods found throughout the world a pasty was simple 'working class' food originally made from easy to source cheap ingredients that has now become a bit of a 'delicacy'.

My favourite pasty's - Steak & ale, lamb & minted peas, cheese & onion and the traditional which consists of beef, onion, swede (turnip) and potato.
And what is "minted peas" and what is "steak and ale" please?

Old 01-19-2022, 08:13 PM

61,650 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starigrad View Post
reason is not big in west east/balkan food is because it is meat and bread based. on top of that it is amazing and it is full of carbs. and west want more veggies and east europe is more of dairy and meat
That's traditional cuisine and not that common anymore. Like everywhere else, central European cuisine is evolving and introducing new trends of cooking. Since the end of Communism more fruits and veggies are imported, people travel and bring their experiences and expectations into cooking.
The times when we only relied on cabbage, carrots and potatoes are long over and people are more conscious about their weight and healthy eating.
Even meat consumption is much lower than decades ago. Actually much lower in Eastern Europe than the West:

https://eu.boell.org/en/2021/09/07/c...nd-luxury-good

Last edited by elnina; 01-19-2022 at 08:25 PM..

Old 01-19-2022, 08:42 PM

1,348 posts, read 623,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
That's traditional cuisine and not that common anymore. Like everywhere else, central European cuisine is evolving and introducing new trends of cooking. Since the end of Communism more fruits and veggies are imported, people travel and bring their experiences and expectations into cooking.
The times when we only relied on cabbage, carrots and potatoes are long over and people are more conscious about their weight and healthy eating.
Even meat consumption is much lower than decades ago. Actually much lower in Eastern Europe than the West:
I don't understand why vegetables and meat have suddenly become an unhealthy diet. I think just the opposite. Any nutritionist will tell you that there are so-called "fast" (simple) carbohydrates, i.e. quickly digestible. They are easily digested and dramatically raise blood sugar levels.
And there are "slow" (complex) carbohydrates.
Fast carbohydrates are mainly found in foods, containing sugar: pastries, fast-food, sweet vegetables and fruits, sweet soda.

Slow carbohydrates are contained in cereals, vegetables such as cabbage, carrots, cucumbers, radishes, etc., pasta from durum wheat, in products where there is a lot of fiber. And in lean meat, like lean beef, chicken or turkey, there is only benefit.

Old 01-19-2022, 09:23 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,526,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimogor View Post
I don't understand why vegetables and meat have suddenly become an unhealthy diet. I think just the opposite. Any nutritionist will tell you that there are so-called "fast" (simple) carbohydrates, i.e. quickly digestible. They are easily digested and dramatically raise blood sugar levels.
Fast carbohydrates are mainly found in foods, containing sugar: pastries, fast-food, sweet vegetables and fruits, sweet soda.

Slow carbohydrates are contained in cereals, vegetables such as cabbage, carrots, cucumbers, radishes, etc., pasta from durum wheat, in products where there is a lot of fiber. And in lean meat, like lean beef, chicken or turkey, there is only benefit.

Zimogor, I already arrived to the conclusion that Russian ( specifically Russian) traditional diet is actually VERY healthy in its own unexpected way, the way that doesn't include the traditional "eat your veggies" kinda thinking, so popular in the US.

Check out the buckwheat.

Check out the damn Kefir

That Russian staple, herring?

It's PACKED with Omega-3 ( which is all the rage in US now.)

Cold-smoked scombre that's yet another staple, available for everyone because of its price?

Even more so; in fact, it's the ULTIMATE source of Omega 3, plus the natural intake of the fish oil.

Vegetables?

But cabbage is one of the most sophisticated and versatile vegetables out there that you can get, that is dirt cheap and easily available.

Red beets? ( yet another Russian staple) - check it out yet again.

So what might be initially perceived as "backwards, poor man's diet," turns out to be actually a very healthy thing in disguise.

It's the "survival kit" of a soldier; unpretentious, but carefully thought through - that's the best way I can put it.

( And yes, I hated it all ( except for the fish part,) but then, again, I was never a soldier)))

Old 01-19-2022, 10:09 PM

1,348 posts, read 623,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Zimogor, I already arrived to the conclusion that Russian ( specifically Russian) traditional diet is actually VERY healthy in its own unexpected way, the way that doesn't include the traditional "eat your veggies" kinda thinking, so popular in the US.

Check out the buckwheat.

Check out the damn Kefir

That Russian staple, herring?

It's PACKED with Omega-3 ( which is all the rage in US now.)

Cold-smoked scombre that's yet another staple, available for everyone because of its price?

Even more so; in fact, it's the ULTIMATE source of Omega 3, plus the natural intake of the fish oil.

Vegetables?

But cabbage is one of the most sophisticated and versatile vegetables out there that you can get, that is dirt cheap and easily available.

Red beets? ( yet another Russian staple) - check it out yet again.

So what might be initially perceived as "backwards, poor man's diet," turns out to be actually a very healthy thing in disguise.

It's the "survival kit" of a soldier; unpretentious, but carefully thought through - that's the best way I can put it.

( And yes, I hated it all ( except for the fish part,) but then, again, I was never a soldier)))
You are absolutely right. I will even say more: we have a widespread diet of "buckwheat with kefir". Pour the dry buckwheat grits with kefir overnight and put them in the refrigerator. During the night, it swells and becomes soft. Without salt and sugar. It doesn't taste too good, but you can eat it. Extra pounds fly away like a bullet.

Old 01-20-2022, 08:03 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimogor View Post

Vegetables and meat haven't become an unhealthy diet. It's meat and starches, like the traditional meat and potatoes, or meat and bread, that's considered unhealthy. (This type of diet is not exclusive to E Europe, as I pointed out earlier in the thread. It's big in much of W Europe, too. Still. Today.) Russia (I don't know about Poland), being self-classified as a "northern" country, has trouble producing a wide variety of green veggies. For example, you're very unlikely to find zucchini or other small, tender squash varieties, in the markets. Or green beans (string beans), asparagus, etc.

Some traditional E Euro fare is starchy, some isn't. Meat pies, for instance (pirog). (This is a staple in parts of the UK, too.) Although Mexican food is also very heavy and starchy. Anything wrapped in a flour or corn tortilla will cause blood sugar to spike. So the only way to explain the popularity of Mexican food vs. E European is the convenience factor, I think. Although piroshki have a similar convenience factor, and they're yummy! This is why piroshki shops are popular in Seattle.

Potatoes, white rice, and most breads cause the blood sugar to spike, Zim. You may have a point about products like buckwheat, though. And the ubiquitous brown bread in Russia...maybe.

Old 01-20-2022, 08:13 AM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times
Health has nothing to do with whether a cuisine got popularized or not to be honest. Chinese food is greasy as eff and pretty much served with carb-heavy rice or noodles. Indian dishes usually are served on rice and many of those sauces are heavy and greasy. Mexican of course is another one of those 'could be healthy in theory' but in practice is usually served with tons of carbs (tortillas) and fat (cream, cheese, fatty meat). Adding a slice of avocado and some lettuce to it doesn't make it healthy.

I think it's way more about the 'exotic' appeal than anything else. Those cuisines use ingredients and spices not 'typical' for people raised on old home-style American or European cooking. Many of the ingredients and spices in Central and European cuisine have the ring of the familiar, of grandma's cooking. And that just doesn't have a ton of appeal for a lot of people for now. I think it will be eventually 'rediscovered' and people will act like it's the greatest and most novel thing ever. It's more about the way it's framed and branded than anything.

Old 01-20-2022, 08:31 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Health has nothing to do with whether a cuisine got popularized or not to be honest. Chinese food is greasy as eff and pretty much served with carb-heavy rice or noodles. Indian dishes usually are served on rice and many of those sauces are heavy and greasy. Mexican of course is another one of those 'could be healthy in theory' but in practice is usually served with tons of carbs (tortillas) and fat (cream, cheese, fatty meat). Adding a slice of avocado and some lettuce to it doesn't make it healthy.

I think it's way more about the 'exotic' appeal than anything else. Those cuisines use ingredients and spices not 'typical' for people raised on old home-style American or European cooking. Many of the ingredients and spices in Central and European cuisine have the ring of the familiar, of grandma's cooking. And that just doesn't have a ton of appeal for a lot of people for now. I think it will be eventually 'rediscovered' and people will act like it's the greatest and most novel thing ever. It's more about the way it's framed and branded than anything.
You have a point, but I disagree that Chinese food, if done well, is greasy. It's not. Same with good Indian food. And many Chinese restaurants now offer a choice of brown rice along with white.

Mexican food as presented in the US is extremely carb-centric (the beans and white rice, not just the tortillas.) Mexican food in Mexico includes regional cuisines, which have very good, light fish dishes, meat in mole and other sauces, etc.

But yes, Thai, Chinese and Indian are popular because they're exotic. I notice sushi has become popular in some areas, too.

Back during the Cold War, Russia and its food were perceived as "exotic", too. People did used to search out Russian restaurants, and look forward to experiencing dishes like Chicken Kiev (OK, it's not Russian, but they served it anyway, and people loved it), Beef Stroganoff, and even the lowly cabbage rolls. It just wasn't a mass phenom, like Thai, Chinese, Indian, Mexican.

And frankly, the Russian community from those days wasn't interested in popularizing their cuisine. They weren't interested in opening restaurants, not like other immigre communities have done. Maybe because way back in those days, the Russian communities had a high percentage of professionals, who were able to get good jobs. Doing service sector work didn't cross their minds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe