Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2022, 07:27 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,224,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Name something Ukrainian that stands out.
Well, the US fast food is world famous.
However, the first fast food - the French bistro - is actually started by the Russians cavalryman in Europe during Napoleonic wars: it comes from the Russian word for “fast”.
They would stop at the eateries and demand the food “bistro”

What they call pierogi in Poland has a different name in Ukraine and Ukraine has more varieties - including some fruits and berries and a special variety cheese in it.
Sounds like it came to Poland by the way of Ukraine - both were part of the Russian Empire for a very long time.
The dish is extremely popular in Russia too

The Jewish dishes- like potatoes pancakes are actually from Belorussia- their national dish- they have more variety of those too.
The bagel is actually from Russia, but has a different name there and slightly different.
Russians have more different varieties of those- some tiny and crunchy- good with tea or as a snack, cheap.
The beet soup - is a bastardized cheaper version of some original vegetable Russian soup.
The blintzes- is from Russian word for it. Stuffed crapes.

The French crapes is a national dish in Russia- not sure who started it first.

Split peas soups might have come from Russia as they have more dishes with split peas - including small pies and side dishes.
American kasha - is actually a Russian collective word for a dish made from cooked grains - eaten hot or cold.
So oatmeal here - would be oatmeal “kasha”

The Chinese dumplings are called Siberian dumplings in Russia - wrapped differently and only have meat in them and grated onions, no other vegetables in it. Not sure who made it first- the Chinese? As the older nation?

The most interesting varieties and tasty breads come from Russia.
They have the most unusual and numerous varieties of pickled vegetables and mushrooms - prepared in a lot of different ways.
There sauerkraut is the best I ever had - could be easily eaten as an appetizer- by itself - it is not too sour- an if I remember correctly might have some carrots in it - very pretty looking - the German one can’t even stand close.

I was amazed at smoked fish varieties and their varieties of different prepared cold cuts - more than I have seen in Germany and or Scandinavian countries.

Overall, I think the Russian, Ukrainian, etc cuisines are very international, but we are not aware that it comes from Russia, Ukraine, etc?
Or other nations in the eastern parts of Europe?

At the very minimum- a lot of dishes were developed simultaneously in different nations and we just picked one nation to describe it?
Not necessarily Ukraine or Russia- as not many people used to travel there?

Last edited by L00k4ward; 01-22-2022 at 07:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2022, 08:08 AM

24,769 posts, read 11,112,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
Well, the US fast food is world famous.
However, the first fast food - the French bistro - is actually started by the Russians cavalryman in Europe during Napoleonic wars: it comes from the Russian word for “fast”.
They would stop at the eateries and demand the food “bistro”

What they call pierogi in Poland has a different name in Ukraine and Ukraine has more varieties - including some fruits and berries and a special variety cheese in it.
Sounds like it came to Poland by the way of Ukraine - both were part of the Russian Empire for a very long time.
The dish is extremely popular in Russia too

The Jewish dishes- like potatoes pancakes are actually from Belorussia- their national dish- they have more variety of those too.
The bagel is actually from Russia, but has a different name there and slightly different.
Russians have more different varieties of those- some tiny and crunchy- good with tea or as a snack, cheap.
The beet soup - is a bastardized cheaper version of some original vegetable Russian soup.
The blintzes- is from Russian word for it. Stuffed crapes.

The French crapes is a national dish in Russia- not sure who started it first.

Split peas soups might have come from Russia as they have more dishes with split peas - including small pies and side dishes.
American kasha - is actually a Russian collective word for a dish made from cooked grains - eaten hot or cold.
So oatmeal here - would be oatmeal “kasha”

The Chinese dumplings are called Siberian dumplings in Russia - wrapped differently and only have meat in them and grated onions, no other vegetables in it. Not sure who made it first- the Chinese? As the older nation?

The most interesting varieties and tasty breads come from Russia.
They have the most unusual and numerous varieties of pickled vegetables and mushrooms - prepared in a lot of different ways.
There sauerkraut is the best I ever had - could be easily eaten as an appetizer- by itself - it is not too sour- an if I remember correctly might have some carrots in it - very pretty looking - the German one can’t even stand close.

I was amazed at smoked fish varieties and their varieties of different prepared cold cuts - more than I have seen in Germany and or Scandinavian countries.

Overall, I think the Russian, Ukrainian, etc cuisines are very international, but we are not aware that it comes from Russia, Ukraine, etc?
Or other nations in the eastern parts of Europe?

At the very minimum- a lot of dishes were developed simultaneously in different nations and we just picked one nation to describe it?
Not necessarily Ukraine or Russia- as not many people used to travel there?
Simple question - what food stands out as Ukrainian?

Old 01-22-2022, 08:54 AM

88,772 posts, read 85,174,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
In Brighton Beach, AKA "Little Odessa", Brooklyn, NY you can buy them for a buck each. Very tasty.

I love borsch. Not understanding how it's hated.

I have a friend from Uzbekistan who makes pilaf. Other than carrot/raisin salad, a white fish salad and some other salads, it's the only Uzbek dish he's made.

There is a Georgian restaurant in Westchester NY. Never tried it. https://www.badageoni.com

As for English food - I love it. There are fewer good English restaurants than good Russian ones in the USA. As a result, most people haven't had a real English meal. Beer battered fried fish is great! English Sunday dinners with roasts and Yorkshire pudding are wonderful.

Maybe I just like food
Me, too. I've never had Yorkshire pudding, nor have I seen it on a menu in the few Brit restaurants I've been in. Bangers and Mash is a favorite, though. There was a place in Manhattan called Pound and Pence we used to go to for lunch sometimes. It's closed now.

Old 01-22-2022, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
I disagree. I think most nationalities open restaurants for their own immigrant group in their own neighborhoods. The cuisine becomes popular when people outside their ethnic group begin coming. For instance - Italian restaurants were originally for Italian immigrants who miss their homeland's cuisine.

The Russian Tea Room was opened in 1927. It had a Russian staff back then.

Ukrainian restaurants located in the East Village

Began 1954 - https://www.veselka.com

Began 1957 - https://www.tastingtable.com/691702/...t-village-nyc/

There is over a dozen Russian restaurants in Brighton Beach, Brooklyn. Russian began coming in large numbers to Brighton in the late 1980's/early 1990's - after the fall of the Berlin Wall.

It's pretty hard to find good Chinese outside of NYC. Certainly there is a lack/shortage of it north of the City. I had great Chinese restaurant with healthy and fat-free food in Boston and I've not found another as good since.
There are a couple of good places in Albany, where a Chinese immigrant population has grown, especially from the Sichuan province. There was a real Sichuan place near Grove Street in Jersey City for a while when I was working there ten years ago, but I haven't been in the neighborhood since then.

Old 01-22-2022, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
From my personal experience most of the Russian/Ukrainian immigrant families that I know including my own rarely ever went out to restaurants and especially not Russian/Ukrainian restaurants. Going to a restaurant was seen as a waste of money, we were very frugal when it came to food. The train of thought was if we can cook the same dish for less money and make it taste even better, then why even go to the restaurant? So we if we ever did go it would a fast food place like McDonalds on a road trip, and even then we often packed our own food. Or we would go out for Asian restaurants to try something new and to learn from it and incorporate into our own dishes. Not sure if this mentality exists with other immigrant families but that’s how it was in our family. It was considered a big dishonor and shame if a wife couldn’t cook a high quality meal.
We weren't immigrants in my family (I'm fourth and fifth generation from the Netherlands and England) and we still didn't go out to restaurants because it was seen as a waste of money. Of course, my generation gave that up. I love to go to restaurants and try different foods.

Old 01-22-2022, 09:02 AM

102,266 posts, read 108,310,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I haven't read the thread but I want to point out that I personally don't find some eastern European food very appealing.

Kath, stick with the old chestnuts: the stuffed cabbage rolls, the meat pies, a bowl or plate of dumplings maybe, and beef Stroganoff. You can't go wrong with certain traditional staples. I've never heard of cinnamon spaghetti, but I've never been to Poland.

Old 01-22-2022, 02:53 PM

5,700 posts, read 4,960,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

Kath, stick with the old chestnuts: the stuffed cabbage rolls, the meat pies, a bowl or plate of dumplings maybe, and beef Stroganoff. You can't go wrong with certain traditional staples. I've never heard of cinnamon spaghetti, but I've never been to Poland.
I’ve never heard of adding cinnamon to spaghetti, but when I was a kid I would add sugar to hot vermicelli noodles and then the sugar would melt and it would be eaten like a desert (no meat or other sauces). Now that I think about it doesn’t sound all that appetizing, not sure if it was a traditional dish, or it was something my mom made up, or picked it up somewhere else. But yeah we only eat that when I was very little. Otherwise we would usually just mix with ground beef and bits of chopped onion or tushonka (canned meat) which I think is called Macaroni Po Flotski (Navy Macaroni).

Old 01-22-2022, 03:41 PM

24,769 posts, read 11,112,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
I’ve never heard of adding cinnamon to spaghetti, but when I was a kid I would add sugar to hot vermicelli noodles and then the sugar would melt and it would be eaten like a desert (no meat or other sauces). Now that I think about it doesn’t sound all that appetizing, not sure if it was a traditional dish, or it was something my mom made up, or picked it up somewhere else. But yeah we only eat that when I was very little. Otherwise we would usually just mix with ground beef and bits of chopped onion or tushonka (canned meat) which I think is called Macaroni Po Flotski (Navy Macaroni).
Vermicelli kheer.

Old 01-22-2022, 05:58 PM

5,700 posts, read 4,960,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Vermicelli kheer.
Oh interesting! But that looks to be an Indian dish? Oh and I just remembered something else we would also add milk and honey (or sugar) but we would just call it macaroni with milk, so seems very similar to kheer.

Old 01-22-2022, 07:02 PM

2,272 posts, read 1,367,877 times
Ten days ago, I posted my first reply here. The very next day on my way to my orthodontics appointment, I saw a white van with a huge sign on it.
https://s3-media0.fl.yelpcdn.com/bph...PUvXvq-w/o.jpg
Did your baba tell you to eat more borsch?

It is a family-run bakery chain, with a new restaurant setup last year - most unfortunately during the current pandemic.
The presentation of their dishes and desserts is lovely.
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/koza...y-gastown-open
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe