Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2022, 06:25 PM

26,922 posts, read 22,802,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by starigrad View Post
ever heard of gurabia treat

I suspect I do.
But it went under a slightly different name - Kurabie - in Russia ( and it was included in the broader category of "Eastern Sweets," in this case - coming from Caucasus, Azerbaijan in particular.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qurabiya

One of the best desserts, ever ( in fact one of my favorites.)
There was plenty of it around when I was growing up, but I didn't notice it last time I was there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2022, 06:38 PM

1,348 posts, read 641,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Vegetables and meat haven't become an unhealthy diet. It's meat and starches, like the traditional meat and potatoes, or meat and bread, that's considered unhealthy.
The harmfulness of eating meat with potatoes is a myth. It all depends on the quantity. Meat itself is a low-calorie product containing mainly proteins and fats. And potatoes have a sufficient amount of carbohydrates and little fats. Therefore, on the contrary, they harmoniously complement each other. The main thing is to observe the proportions. And in general, potatoes are a very valuable and useful product, they contain a lot of vitamins and fiber. You can eat it almost every day. By the way, here's an example for you: Australian Andrew Taylor even lost weight, eating only potatoes.

Quote:
Russia (I don't know about Poland), being self-classified as a "northern" country, has trouble producing a wide variety of green veggies. For example, you're very unlikely to find zucchini or other small, tender squash varieties, in the markets. Or green beans (string beans), asparagus, etc.
You are mistaken. In Russia is full in shops and in markets fresh vegetables, herbs and fruits. Even at my dacha in Siberia in the summer, eggplants and zucchini and tomatoes and green onions and asparagus and, imagine, even string beans grow. Also strawberries, apples and raspberries.

Old 01-20-2022, 07:01 PM

2,346 posts, read 1,427,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I suspect I do.
But it went under a slightly different name - Kurabie - in Russia ( and it was included in the broader category of "Eastern Sweets," in this case - coming from Caucasus, Azerbaijan in particular.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qurabiya

One of the best desserts, ever ( in fact one of my favorites.)
There was plenty of it around when I was growing up, but I didn't notice it last time I was there.
"Eastern Sweets" ??
I've tried the Greek version, which is quite similar to the Italian ones that I could get locally.
Di Manno Soft Amaretti Almond Cookies
https://www.costcuisine.com/wp-conte.../amaretti.webp

Old 01-20-2022, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
"Eastern Sweets" ??
I've tried the Greek version, which is quite similar to the Italian ones that I could get locally.

Yes, that was referral to the kind of sweets that were coming originally from Caucasus for the most part, but they were made in "Russia proper" commercially.

Things like Halva, (of different varieties,) kozinaki, ( something similar was made from the poppy seeds too - don't even remember the name,) rakhat-locum, shaker-locum, nougat, sorbet - things like that.

Classical "Baku" kurabie looked like this back in Soviet times;

( Don't remember seeing baklava in the stores - just home-made.

Needless to say, my relatives were cooking up a storm when visiting us in Moscow)))

Old 01-20-2022, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
"Eastern Sweets" ??

P.S. Italian cookies taste somewhat different.

I think that French or German cookies ( can't figure out which ones now) are closer to "curabie" kind...

Old 01-20-2022, 08:12 PM

102,440 posts, read 108,851,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
From my personal experience most of the Russian/Ukrainian immigrant families that I know including my own rarely ever went out to restaurants and especially not Russian/Ukrainian restaurants. Going to a restaurant was seen as a waste of money, we were very frugal when it came to food. The train of thought was if we can cook the same dish for less money and make it taste even better, then why even go to the restaurant? So we if we ever did go it would a fast food place like McDonalds on a road trip, and even then we often packed our own food. Or we would go out for Asian restaurants to try something new and to learn from it and incorporate into our own dishes. Not sure if this mentality exists with other immigrant families but that’s how it was in our family. It was considered a big dishonor and shame if a wife couldn’t cook a high quality meal.
But the wife appreciated an occasional break from cooking. (Or the resident grandmother.) I suppose it depended on the family's economic situation. I can tell you one thing: the Russians from Harbin LOVED to go out for Chinese food! And since it wasn't in the family's repertoire to cook it at home, they'd go out. Or order in. Come to think of it, though, that tended to happen after the kids were grown, so the family budget wasn't as tight.

Old 01-20-2022, 11:09 PM

Quote:
P.S. Italian cookies taste somewhat different.

I think that French or German cookies ( can't figure out which ones now) are closer to "curabie" kind...
bought at our local Costco, are soft and chewy.
Their recipe is quite similar to the Greek's.

The German almond cookies, also soft and chewy, are covered with a thin layer of chocolate.
I have not tried any French almond cookies, prolly hard as their 'langue du chat' cookies.

Old 01-20-2022, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Yes, that was referral to the kind of sweets that were coming originally from Caucasus for the most part, but they were made in "Russia proper" commercially.

Things like Halva, (of different varieties,) kozinaki, ( something similar was made from the poppy seeds too - don't even remember the name,) rakhat-locum, shaker-locum, nougat, sorbet - things like that.

Classical "Baku" kurabie looked like this back in Soviet times;

( Don't remember seeing baklava in the stores - just home-made.

Needless to say, my relatives were cooking up a storm when visiting us in Moscow)))
That's quite a variety. The only cookies I can find here easily are from Poland - seasame snaps.

Boxed up Baklavas sold here are horrible; so disappointed. They are no where near those freshly made ones at my favorite Greek restaurant.

Old 01-21-2022, 12:03 AM

5,713 posts, read 5,006,430 times
Quote:
But the wife appreciated an occasional break from cooking. (Or the resident grandmother.) I suppose it depended on the family's economic situation. I can tell you one thing: the Russians from Harbin LOVED to go out for Chinese food! And since it wasn't in the family's repertoire to cook it at home, they'd go out. Or order in. Come to think of it, though, that tended to happen after the kids were grown, so the family budget wasn't as tight.
Well yes, but in my family’s case or grandmother didn’t live with us, but my dad is a pretty good cook and made a lot of the dishes, particularly Crimean Tatar dishes that my mom wasn’t familiar with such as Kobete and Chebureki. Plus I have 5 sisters, so there were plenty of hands to help out (even I helped out, it was a big family event), and now my mom doesn’t even do the cooking all that much, my sisters kinda took over the kitchen. And even though we are considerably more well off than before, my mom still gets disappointed in us when we get lazy and order a pizza or Chinese take out or take her to a nice restaurant etc.

That being said my grandma was the opposite, she was always busy with work (she is a seamstress) and so she would always take us to restaurants, plus she liked to spoil us.

Old 01-21-2022, 09:14 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,502,925 times
I haven't read the thread but I want to point out that I personally don't find some eastern European food very appealing.

For instance, once I was in Poland or Slovakia or some place like that and there were pictures of different foods on a menu so I ordered something that I thought was spaghetti. It was sweet and cinnamonny, though it was beef based. I didn't like it.

I could give a lot more examples but that one for some reason really sticks in my memory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe