Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2022, 09:26 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I am a huge fan of Chinese food, Italian food and of course Indian food (VERY popular here in the UK), but I have to say that my mothers Sunday roast and a properly done full English breakfast is a match for any of those! A quick tip, fish and chips in the UK can be very hit and miss but if anybody wants to try 'proper' British fish and chips then the best chance for a decent example would be to (unsurprisingly) head to the coast, you have to have fresh fish, freshly cooked in the right amount of batter and the chips have to be a decent size and cooked properly. There is a place in Eastbourne that does fabulous fish and chips and they make their own fabulous tartare sauce too, there is also a place in Eastbourne where the fish and chips are nothing special, I won't mention names.
On the other side of the channel, there's a place on the shoreline called Scheveningen, some of the best fish and chips I've ever had. Their full plate is enough for two, comes with various sides in addition to the chips, and also home made tartar sauce. Right round The Hague.

We always get the cod - which type of fish do they prefer for fish and chips around your way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2022, 09:35 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
There are a few Jewish restaurants in NYC. Other than that, it's mainly bagels and deli's like Katz, Zabar's and Russ & Daughters.

Jewish bakeries are very similar to German ones. In Yorktown NY, there is a Hungarian bakery which makes Jewish breads and cookies.
I'm going to admit I'm a bit jealous that you have a Hungarian bakery local to you. Although, I must admit, I just heard that Piroshky Piroshky is opening a bakery here in close by Westchester CA. However, they are expecting a $50 minimum order per customer. I can't justify buying $50 of Piroshkis all at once.

Old 01-14-2022, 10:06 PM

1,348 posts, read 623,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Russian borscht is AWFUL. The only borscht worth eating is Ukrainian. If you want to "modify" it, start with Ukrainian borscht. I married into a mixed marriage and my "American" wife used chicken. The base is so good, that it worked with chicken.
Real borscht is cooked in beef broth with beef meat. If with chicken, then this is chicken soup.
And what do you mean by "Russian borscht"?
Russian Russian borscht differs from real Ukrainian borscht only in one thing: in the classic Ukrainian borscht they add else pieces of bacon, but not in Russian. And they eat with pampushki. Otherwise they are the same.

Old 01-14-2022, 10:44 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,920,492 times
There are also different versions of borscht as well. For instance there is green borscht which instead of using beets that give the famous red color, it uses sorrel (similar to spinach but sour) or stinging nettle which gives the green color, and and there are also boiled eggs too. When I was a kid I hated this soup (mainly because I hated the texture of boiled egg whites) but these days I love it.

Old 01-14-2022, 10:59 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,521,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
There are also different versions of borscht as well. For instance there is green borscht which instead of using beets that give the famous red color, it uses sorrel (similar to spinach but sour) or stinging nettle which gives the green color, and and there are also boiled eggs too. When I was a kid I hated this soup (mainly because I hated the texture of boiled egg whites) but these days I love it.

That's shee Grega. ( "Green shee" to be exact instead of regular shee that's made from cabbage (and meat, chicken, whatever.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorrel_soup

Borsh - that's red beets ( and whatever else you'll add there.)

Both are very healthy in cold climates when you raise the kids.

Old 01-14-2022, 11:02 PM

1,348 posts, read 623,888 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
That's shee Grega. ( "Green shee" to be exact instead of regular shee that's made from cabbage (and meat, chicken, whatever.)

Yes, that's right. Anything with beets is borscht, anything without beets is shee.

Old 01-14-2022, 11:07 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,920,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post

Idk, in my family they call it green borscht (зелёный борщ), maybe it’s just a southern Ukrainian thing? But shchi (щи) was always considered a different dish in our family, which had sauerkraut and lamb and never had sorrel or eggs. Even Wikipedia says “ Due to its commonness as a soup in Eastern European cuisines, it is often called green borscht, as a cousin of the standard, reddish-purple beetroot borscht.”

Old 01-14-2022, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimogor View Post
Yes, that's right. Anything with beets is borscht, anything without beets is shee.

Not true)))

Solyanka is neither, so is rassolnik, so is ukha)))

C'mon Zimogor...

Russia is big on soups - shee and borsh are not all that's there is to it.

Last edited by erasure; 01-14-2022 at 11:28 PM..

Old 01-14-2022, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Idk, in my family they call it green borscht (зелёный борщ), maybe it’s just a southern Ukrainian thing? But shchi (щи) was always considered a different dish in our family, which had sauerkraut and lamb and never had sorrel or eggs. Even Wikipedia says “ Due to its commonness as a soup in Eastern European cuisines, it is often called green borscht, as a cousin of the standard, reddish-purple beetroot borscht.”

Probably regional.
In "Russia proper" shee is a cabbage soup ( it would be specified if it's made of sour cabbage instead of the fresh one.)
But borsh - that's red beats and no other way around it, unless it's "svekolnik" but then the name itself tells you that it's made out of red beets.

Last edited by erasure; 01-14-2022 at 11:29 PM..

Old 01-15-2022, 05:43 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
On the other side of the channel, there's a place on the shoreline called Scheveningen, some of the best fish and chips I've ever had. Their full plate is enough for two, comes with various sides in addition to the chips, and also home made tartar sauce. Right round The Hague.

We always get the cod - which type of fish do they prefer for fish and chips around your way?
Sounds nice Cod, plaice, hake, pollock (any white fish really), personally I like haddock but will have cod or plaice (or any really)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe