Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 04:15 PM

5 posts, read 16,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebanker View Post

In Canada, malls etc were open weekdays till 9pm, Sat till 7pm & even on Sundays. Here everything is closed on Sundays. I'm pregnant & find myself craving ethnic food like Ethipian, Indian etc & I have to travel to the nearest big city as I live in a white suburb in the middle of nowhere.
Heck! WHERE do you live in the Netherlands?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 04:25 PM

50,382 posts, read 64,034,538 times
I met a woman who met a political official (vice mayor, or something like that) from Amsterdam 20+ years ago in NYC. They got married and she has lived in Amsterdam ever since. Even though she is a widow now, her pension is so good that she can't afford to move back to the US.
She said that the language was very hard at first...very long words, but eventually she became used to the sound of it and learned it. She loves the people and she loves living there. It became home to her.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:36 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,541,581 times
Gentlearts, can't you just put double "o"s or double "e"s in the middle of words to convert them to Dutch?

I loved my time in Holand!

Old 03-20-2010, 11:46 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,127,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebanker View Post
is a step backward as I speak English, the Queen's language.

If I'm not mistaken the dutch have a Queen also...so English would be "A" Queens language

Old 04-06-2010, 01:44 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,214,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belinda_Cooperstone1 View Post
Buy a Canadian Flag. (Sorry just had to say it, I just came back from there 3 months ago)
Buy a Canadian flag and burn it among a ton of other travelers and watch them cheer

I absolutely loathed seeing those things anywhere outside of North America. Always some complete deuschbag wearing them, at least they were quick signs as to who to avoid while traveling. Spot a Maple Leaf, give them wide berth.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:07 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,178,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
And in the Netherlands, you are expected to learn Dutch.
Amen to that. Hep ik zelf gedaan tijdens de zeventiger jaren!!!!

Dutch is really difficult for Americans, however, with the gutteral sounds and diphthongs. Further, with all of the dialects (like in Groningen, Maastricht, etc.), it makes it REALLY interesting if your originally learned Algemene Beschaft Nederlands. Wow! That blew me away. I learned to speek "plat" living in and around Apeldoorn for a year or so. Went to Terschelling once..... forget it! LOL Ik verstond er geen baarst van.

Alle beste, iedereen!

Just sayin'...

Ronnie

Old 04-16-2010, 11:41 AM

248 posts, read 616,632 times
Goldwing

Don't make it with Afgan haschisch too often, you'll never want to leave the city.
You don't need to make it, you can live on welfare.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:59 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,748,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neng. View Post
Goldwing

Don't make it with Afgan haschisch too often, you'll never want to leave the city.
You don't need to make it, you can live on welfare.

i'm a seasoned veteran with North American cannabis. however I was NOT prepared for what I had in Amsterdam. I think it gave me a mild panic attack.

overall i liked the dutch people, although they rarely engaged me. I had to be quite assertive, just to make conversation. London was much worse, though, you could tell that Americans are a dime per dozen there.

i talk just like a big, loud, American redneck, so on a few occasions i felt like a circus attraction.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:51 PM

59 posts, read 259,063 times
I asked the question too last year. I did not follow up but, this is what I came up with. Actually, go to Rotterdam. You can get a sponsor and get a visa relatively easy. Another suggetion is to learn Dutch.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:55 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
if you have ever been itching to feel what its like to be an illegal alien-- here is your opportunity.
no rights unwelcome and struggling to make ends meet 24/7.
your chances of ending up in the drug world of amsterdam are excellent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe