Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 09:24 AM

841 posts, read 2,260,501 times

Advertisements

[quote=skifan77;12897425]

That being said I think the United States is alot farther along then Race relations in places like France/QUOTE]

That couldn't be further from the truth.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:04 PM

43 posts, read 142,159 times
[quote=KARL_MARX;12936816]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skifan77 View Post

That being said I think the United States is alot farther along then Race relations in places like France/QUOTE]

That couldn't be further from the truth.
Oh really?

How many TV news anchors in France are of African descent?

How many members of the Senate from Metropolitan France are non-white? The Chamber of Deputies?

Since the creation of the Fifth Republic how many ministers holding senior posts have been non-white?

Given that 10% or more of the citizens of Metropolitan France are non-white, how can you explain these numbers?

Old 03-03-2010, 08:02 AM

880 posts, read 2,024,212 times
llifane
Maybe it has to do with one man one vote?

Old 03-06-2010, 06:28 AM

1,523 posts, read 2,862,870 times
@ The poster,

As a black American, your best off in the US. There are three points to consider here:

a) "Racism" is relative. Think of how among many people in our own country, a white guy would be considered racist if he has a problem with his daughter dating a black guy. In other places, a white guy in the same situation might not be considered racist and will say something like "well I have black friends" etc. Same thing in Europe. Some people who say "I'm not racist" mean the former or the latter. Others might constantly call you race-related names but swear they aren't racist. It's all relative.

b) European countries still don't like to admit to racism. The three that seem to admit to it when it to any realistic extent when it occurs are the UK, France and the Netherlands. And still, I don't think they have the same definition as that we have in the US or Canada.

c) When you ask this question about Europe, ask another black person. In America, the black guy decides if it's racist or not. In Europe, it's a white guy who lives in a majority white area who is telling you what's racist and what isn't. Furthermore, many of these people who are "not racist" and tell you that the US is so terrible have never lived in place that is 30% black and 60% white or lived side by side with black people for a few centuries. What some of my European friends/colleagues consider "not" racist would sometimes be considered klan material in the US. Some people consider you interesting because they've never met someone like you, and some people won't like you because they've never met someone like you. Some girls will find you incredibly interesting and want to date you, others will expect you to be a "coon". Consider that.

I would definetly say France. France has more exposure to "black" people than any other country in Europe. A French person who is "not racist" has usually had much more exposure to black people and many more opportunities to be "racist". They have a better idea of "what not to say". Some of the other countries where a guy is "not racist", you might be the 15th black guy he's interacted with in his life and he may constantly offend you or fit the term "racist" in the US even unwittingly.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:32 AM

1,523 posts, read 2,862,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej64 View Post
llifane
Maybe it has to do with one man one vote?
Yeah so then there would be one black politician in the French senate for every black person in France etc. That's not the case. When you turn on the TV in France (let alone other European countries), you would forget that 10% of the country is non-white. It's not one man one vote in terms of representation.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:44 AM

3,565 posts, read 4,863,814 times
[quote=Rillifane;13132122]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KARL_MARX View Post

Oh really?

How many TV news anchors in France are of African descent?

How many members of the Senate from Metropolitan France are non-white? The Chamber of Deputies?

Since the creation of the Fifth Republic how many ministers holding senior posts have been non-white?

Given that 10% or more of the citizens of Metropolitan France are non-white, how can you explain these numbers?
Totally a sign of racism. You go man.

Btw. By far, not all of the 10% can vote.

Old 03-06-2010, 01:05 PM

164 posts, read 568,315 times
I think the French are just rude to outsiders in general. I am Dutch and I have never ever met so many rude, arrogant and humorless people as in France. They refuse to speak English! I was speaking French but they will not take the time to listen to you even if your trying to speak their language. I wouldn't even consider moving to France. As for Spain, I wouldn't know. I think Scandinavia, the Netherlands, Germany and England are a lot more liberal and accepting in general! Good luck with you decision.

Old 03-06-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
@ The poster,

As a black American, your best off in the US. There are three points to consider here:

a) "Racism" is relative. Think of how among many people in our own country, a white guy would be considered racist if he has a problem with his daughter dating a black guy. In other places, a white guy in the same situation might not be considered racist and will say something like "well I have black friends" etc. Same thing in Europe. Some people who say "I'm not racist" mean the former or the latter. Others might constantly call you race-related names but swear they aren't racist. It's all relative.

b) European countries still don't like to admit to racism. The three that seem to admit to it when it to any realistic extent when it occurs are the UK, France and the Netherlands. And still, I don't think they have the same definition as that we have in the US or Canada.

c) When you ask this question about Europe, ask another black person. In America, the black guy decides if it's racist or not. In Europe, it's a white guy who lives in a majority white area who is telling you what's racist and what isn't. Furthermore, many of these people who are "not racist" and tell you that the US is so terrible have never lived in place that is 30% black and 60% white or lived side by side with black people for a few centuries. What some of my European friends/colleagues consider "not" racist would sometimes be considered klan material in the US. Some people consider you interesting because they've never met someone like you, and some people won't like you because they've never met someone like you. Some girls will find you incredibly interesting and want to date you, others will expect you to be a "coon". Consider that.

I would definetly say France. France has more exposure to "black" people than any other country in Europe. A French person who is "not racist" has usually had much more exposure to black people and many more opportunities to be "racist". They have a better idea of "what not to say". Some of the other countries where a guy is "not racist", you might be the 15th black guy he's interacted with in his life and he may constantly offend you or fit the term "racist" in the US even unwittingly.

I am sorry, but you're wrong here. In the Netherlands we have a lot of people from Suriname (Indian and Creole descent), the Dutch Antilles (Curacao, Aruba and Bonaire), Indonesia and Africa. My colleagues, bosses and friends are from all nationalities (and the mixed varieties in between) I think some parts of Europe are more multicultural than any other country. There are racial tensions in Europe though, not towards ethnicity but towards religion (Islam). No worries for an African American at all, he or she would fit in the melting pot we have in Europe

Old 03-06-2010, 02:39 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,863,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie73 View Post

I am sorry, but you're wrong here. In the Netherlands we have a lot of people from Suriname (Indian and Creole descent), the Dutch Antilles (Curacao, Aruba and Bonaire), Indonesia and Africa. My colleagues, bosses and friends are from all nationalities (and the mixed varieties in between) I think some parts of Europe are more multicultural than any other country. There are racial tensions in Europe though, not towards ethnicity but towards religion (Islam). No worries for an African American at all, he or she would fit in the melting pot we have in Europe
A "melting pot" in the U.S means something else than in Europe. I know what you mean though.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
A "melting pot" in the U.S means something else than in Europe. I know what you mean though.
What does it mean in the US? I hope I didn't write something stupid....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe