Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 01:11 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,699,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Being in the military, I am required to stay in shape. Today I decided to run 2 miles. I could have done the treadmill indoors in the a/c but I feel by doing treadmills I'm cheating myself.

As of now, here in Missouri we are in the middle of a heat wave. Today I ran the 2 miles up a few inclines, back down and eventually straight...but let me tell you it really kicked my ass. Back hurting, knees hurting, I had to stop a few times to catch my breath. I suppose high heat and humidity play a huge role on if you can even breathe heavy during a run?
If you are required to be in shape, you better get started, pal. You are NOT in shape, and you have more learning and training to do. Just do it.

Last edited by POhdNcrzy; 08-12-2010 at 01:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlecrazy View Post
If I go out running, it has to be about 70-80 to be comfortable. A couple weeks ago I went out on a Saturday morning (not early, probably 9:30 or 10) to the local middle school track. Everything was going ok until I was a mile in, then the sun came out from behind the clouds and it seemed that the humidity skyrocketed for some reason. I couldn't catch my breath and felt real faint, so I had to stop and sit down in the shade. I decided to walk back home and just go to the gym instead. It ended up being about 110 degrees that day with stupidly high humidity...geez.

But more power to those people who can do that. I'm envious!
Anything much over 100 degrees is quite potentially dangerous.

However, you are out of shape, and/or you have health problems.

Both of these issues can be fixed. Just do it!

If you get in shape and train 3-5 times a week (3 is the bare-bones minimum), each workout won't seem so onerous and difficult.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
I don't run, but I ride my bike every day. I enjoy riding during the hottest part of the day.

I find I don't feel the heat until I stop to drink water. And I make sure that I drink lots of water before, during and after riding.

busta
One thing about cycling and mountain biking, there is a very significant cooling effect from moving through the air at high speed.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
It may be the only time of day they can fit in a run and they make run every day to stay in shape regardless of weather. I had a friend who ran during blizzards only in shorts, sneakers and a cap to keep his bald head warm.

During extreme heat waves I would be concerned about air quality but apparently not everyone is sensitive to ozone levels.
Your friend is an egotistical moron of epic proportions, but at least he exercises regularly.

BTW, you are right about higher heat generally leading to reduced air quality.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:22 PM

Okay, I think I've helped out everybody. Anyone else with a related question or idea?

Old 08-12-2010, 02:39 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,860,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I personally think they're nuts, but everyone has their own heat/cold thresholds. I'd rather be out in 20 degrees and snow than in 85 degrees with matching humidity.
Back when I did taekwondo & judo 15 hrs a week in a school that was freezing in winter and steamy in summer it was always cold temps that seem to bring out muscle strains & injuries because out muscles were cold. Its easier to work out when its hot. As long as you stay hydrated you are ok.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:58 PM

239 posts, read 596,175 times
After about two weeks, your body adapts to the heat. I've been running 5 days a week in 90 degree weather for the past three months, without a problem. Third Summer in a row.

Obviously, you have to listen to your body and stop if you get tired, or take a drink of water if you feel thirsty. But you have to do those things in all types of weather, not just the heat.

Another thing is, stay in the shade, and realize that during the Summer months, you won't be able to run as fast or as long as you can during the cooler months. This may surprise you, but 90 degrees in the shade actually feels pretty good...especially if there's a breeze blowing.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:26 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
ever notice when there is a HEAT WAVE and temperatures go above 100 there is always some person out jogging during the hottest part of the day? it looks like they are doing this on purpose to try and work their body harder to burn off the fat or something?

this doesnt seem like it's good for your body because the poor air quality and heat stress on your body.

Im talking about areas that get really hot [not SF]
Some people can tolerate it, some people can't. I am fairly heat tolerant but when it comes to running, the pollution combined with the heat and humidity make it difficult for me to breathe (I have asthma). So I avoid running in very hot or very cold temps; both aggravate the asthma. I can run in mild temps though.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:54 AM

2,634 posts, read 2,678,853 times
I run no matter what the weather, though I do try to avoid anything above 95 degrees. If I have to run in temps above 95 because of scheduling, I will usually only do 2-3 miles at a slower pace than normal.

I do notice there are a lot more people running outdoors that don't normally go running when it is scorching hot. They are obviously not seasoned runners, yet seem to go out only when its above 90. I've wondered why people do this myself. The best temperature to run is high 50's or low 60's for me. It seems like people give up running the rest of the year and only do it during the summer.

Maybe people feel like summer time is time to get in shape for the beach or pool and try to start an exercise program, but give up when it gets cooler. I understand if I saw someone running year round and they were out in the heat 'cause they had to be.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:56 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
I run no matter what the weather, though I do try to avoid anything above 95 degrees. If I have to run in temps above 95 because of scheduling, I will usually only do 2-3 miles at a slower pace than normal.

I do notice there are a lot more people running outdoors that don't normally go running when it is scorching hot. They are obviously not seasoned runners, yet seem to go out only when its above 90. I've wondered why people do this myself. The best temperature to run is high 50's or low 60's for me. It seems like people give up running the rest of the year and only do it during the summer.

Maybe people feel like summer time is time to get in shape for the beach or pool and try to start an exercise program, but give up when it gets cooler. I understand if I saw someone running year round and they were out in the heat 'cause they had to be.
Now that you mention it, I have noticed the same thing in my neighborhood; it seems that the hotter it has gotten this summer, the more people are out walking/jogging. I see a few familiar faces every morning or evening; these are people who run past my house almost every day and have done so continuously for the last year. Then there are the beet-faced, wheezing newbies who make me almost want to run inside and fetch a bottle of water for them. If I ran in this weather I'd also be beet-faced and wheezing which is why I take my workouts indoors in summer and winter!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness