Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 02:41 PM

165 posts, read 588,606 times

Advertisements

Diet soda is bad for us so I decided to stop drinking it in January. I really thought I might lose a lb or 2 but I lost nothing!!!!! :0( However, I know that I am healthier then I was when I was drinking it. Good luck whatever you decide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 03:07 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,859,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Say WHAT??!!!

Who gave you this info, Mr.Pepsi ?

Old 08-22-2010, 05:44 AM

2,634 posts, read 2,676,651 times
I'm not a BB, I'm a long distance runner. I've had it tested several times and it usually comes in around 3-5% when I'm in good shape. During Christmas season or if I let myself go for a month or two it will go up to 8-10%. Most of the time BB carry more fat than a long distance runner. I am not saying I hydrate myself with diet soda. I drink 10-15 glasses of water every day, a glass of milk and a glass of orange juice. Diet soda makes up a small portion of my daily fluid intake.

I just see no difference when I drink diet soda or not. I haven't seen any change in weight, body fat % or running performance. With so many overweight Americans, I think diet soda is a good thing. It seems like some of you spend so much time worrying about these toxins that may not have any affect on our health or not. Worry about the stuff that is real, like red meat and junk food.

As far as diet soda and performance drinks, try it for yourself. During the course of a day, drink diet soda and watch the color of your urine. The next day try it with Gatorade. I've tried it many times. It will stay clear with diet soda for a while but will turn yellow pretty fast with Gatorade.

When I was younger, I used to work outside in Texas heat moving furniture and tried to stay hydrated with Gatorade. I realized that it is not at all effective. Only water can keep you hydrated during strenuous workouts. I do drink diluted sports drinks if I am running more than 10 miles, more for electrolyte loss than for hydration.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:07 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,234,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
I think diet soda is a good thing. It seems like some of you spend so much time worrying about these toxins that may not have any affect on our health or not. Worry about the stuff that is real, like red meat and junk food.
I cannot believe what I am reading, especially from someone claiming to be in good health. Aspartame is the fecal matter of the ecoli virus. It is extremely dangerous, much more so than red meat. It is a junk food. It is also more fattening than even regular soda.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:21 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,859,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Aspartame is the fecal matter of the ecoli virus.
Where did you hear this? Never heard that one. Will say if you have bad headaches the first thing you should do is eliminate Aspartame from diet. Sucralose aka Splenda is reported to damage the endocrine system. I know people who live off Splenda as in they bake with the stuff plus put it on ALL their food even in soups and vegetables and they are sick all the time.

I went off diet sodas for awhile drinking mainly tea, water and the occasional sports drink or almond milk. I tried a diet soda yesterday and got a major headache from it. I shouldn't have done it. Was tempting but after I took a sip I didn't even like how sweet it tasted.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:27 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,234,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
Where did you hear this? Never heard that one. Will say if you have bad headaches the first thing you should do is eliminate Aspartame from diet. Sucralose aka Splenda is reported to damage the endocrine system. I know people who live off Splenda as in they bake with the stuff plus put it on ALL their food even in soups and vegetables and they are sick all the time.

I went off diet sodas for awhile drinking mainly tea, water and the occasional sports drink or almond milk. I tried a diet soda yesterday and got a major headache from it. I shouldn't have done it. Was tempting but after I took a sip I didn't even like how sweet it tasted.
Watch these for the history of aspartame. Anyone who eats or drinks anything with it is crazy:

YouTube - Food: The Ultimate Secret Exposed - PT 1/2

YouTube - Food: The Ultimate Secret Exposed - PT 2/2

Old 08-22-2010, 01:18 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,997,176 times
I was having heart palpitations and headaches at one point, so bad that I went to my PCP. She said that diet sodas can cause both. I stopped drinking diet and no more problems. I really don't see how they can be beneficial to anyone.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:40 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,561,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
When I was younger, I used to work outside in Texas heat moving furniture and tried to stay hydrated with Gatorade. I realized that it is not at all effective. Only water can keep you hydrated during strenuous workouts. I do drink diluted sports drinks if I am running more than 10 miles, more for electrolyte loss than for hydration.
this is very true. Gatorade is mostly marketing, for the vast majority of people working out they do not need to drink a sports drink. Only when somebody is heavily exerting themselves over a long period of time, like a half marathon, should people drink them. And even then they should be mixed with water.

water is the best thing for you.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:38 PM

221 posts, read 799,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Lets hypothetically say over the next 6 months, I want to quit smoking. Now lets say that over the course of the next 6 months, I have ZERO cigarettes. Instead, I will smoke a couple of cigars per day along with a couple of bowls on my pipe. Will I be able to break my nicotine/smoking habit?

This is the same thing pretty much as what you are doing. If you want to get healthy, workout, eat well, sleep well, etc. why even bother with drinking something that is so bad for your body? Just dont have it in your home and it'll be easy to NOT drink it.
I gave up soda, replaced it with diet and read that it's still bad for you. I now will have a can of regular soda on average about 2x a week. I gave it up completely for about 2 months. Otherwise, I drink seltzer, water, or crystal light which has no sugar. I don't think it would cause you to gain weight having a can here or there..

Old 08-23-2010, 06:11 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Quote:
I have no problem cutting candy and junk food out, but diet soda is my one weakness.
If it's just the fizz you crave, try plain carbonated water with or without some flavoring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness