Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 06:19 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I dont know about the actual program you ordered, but be sure to use correct form when kettlebell training.

If you can, just cancel your order. Head over the Dicks Sporting Goods or Sport Chalet to get yourself 2-3 kettlebells and follow some of the routines you find on YouTube. Even if you are just starting out with training of any kind, you want to make sure you are NOT using weight so light that you will end up just spinning your wheels and not getting healthier. If you are a never-exercised-before woman, I recommend 30lb, 40lb and 50lb to start with. If you can get two of each that would really be good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJqPgV681Hg

I think the 30-40-50 range is too much for someone, especially a woman, who has not worked with them before. A deconditioned woman learning from Youtube with that kind of weight and no instruction is a recipe for disaster. I just counseled a man I knew who was very much out of shape to start out with 16, 24, 36 and to limit his 36-pounder to just the basic swings until he has the technique nailed. I use or have used everything from 10 to 120.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 11:44 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I dont know about the actual program you ordered, but be sure to use correct form when kettlebell training.

If you can, just cancel your order. Head over the Dicks Sporting Goods or Sport Chalet to get yourself 2-3 kettlebells and follow some of the routines you find on YouTube. Even if you are just starting out with training of any kind, you want to make sure you are NOT using weight so light that you will end up just spinning your wheels and not getting healthier. If you are a never-exercised-before woman, I recommend 30lb, 40lb and 50lb to start with. If you can get two of each that would really be good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJqPgV681Hg
I love how the video calls the Russian swing a "modification". I think 20lbs is a good start for most women, especially if they're going to be doing the crossfit swings. I do think that people need to master the Russian swing before they even think about doing the crossfit swing.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:54 PM

111 posts, read 295,425 times
Man that was too funny acting like girls should be swingin 50lb kettle bells around as a light workout. That's hilarious just picturing where that kettle bell is going; nowhere. And 2 of each! One quick 50 pounder in each hand while they're out jogging a nice 5k, just to toughen the run up a smidge?

Old 12-07-2010, 11:11 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,676,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerksticks View Post
Man that was too funny acting like girls should be swingin 50lb kettle bells around as a light workout. That's hilarious just picturing where that kettle bell is going; nowhere. And 2 of each! One quick 50 pounder in each hand while they're out jogging a nice 5k, just to toughen the run up a smidge?
I am a woman, and I use 50+ lb kettlebells. I fail to see the humor in this.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:34 PM

111 posts, read 295,425 times
That seems like a lot of weight for a typical woman to be swinging around after watching a 2 minute YouTube video. But hey, glad yer strong.

Edit..I still don't think many women can pick up 50lbs of anything in each hand and then start swinging it around. Not knocking women, just looking out for beginner's safety.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:14 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,676,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerksticks View Post
That seems like a lot of weight for a typical woman to be swinging around after watching a 2 minute YouTube video. But hey, glad yer strong.

Edit..I still don't think many women can pick up 50lbs of anything in each hand and then start swinging it around. Not knocking women, just looking out for beginner's safety.
I don't think she should be using them at all.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:05 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,230,590 times
I have spoken to trainers where I live and they thought the 5 lbs was a good starting place. I LOVE the KettleWorx program (can't say enough!) and I have no affiliation with them. My only complaint is that they don't have long enough stretching for warm up and cool down but since I know that I can adapt.

After only 9 workouts (which are killer BTW, even at the 5 lb weight) my butt is moving upward and my waist has slimmed down noticably. I can really see a difference, my jeans already fit differently.

The weights are used along with the body to work many muscles at one time (they call it turning the body into a machine) and if I had even 10 lbs I would not be able to do these exercises. I will move up to 7 and eventually 10 but the guys on there only use 20 lbs.

I was working out at the gym for quite some time before this (elyptical and weight machines) and saw no concrete results at all and I hated it and to top it off I was spending considerably more time (about double).

I also hike for exercise (did 4 hours in the last 2 days on hilly terrain) but I LOVE the kettle bells.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:27 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
I would strongly suggest taking some basic instructor/coach led classes until you learn the foundational movements correctly and safely.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:20 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,230,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I would strongly suggest taking some basic instructor/coach led classes until you learn the foundational movements correctly and safely.
Thanks, I was thinking of having the personal trainer who told me about them come to my house when I do the routine and give me some pointers. There are no classes where I live, it's a small place. The classes that I am watching go into form and correct posture too but it never hurts to have more.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:49 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Thanks, I was thinking of having the personal trainer who told me about them come to my house when I do the routine and give me some pointers. There are no classes where I live, it's a small place. The classes that I am watching go into form and correct posture too but it never hurts to have more.
Yes, but it's tough for YOU to evaluate your form while you do the excercises. Having someone watch/critique you until you learn the feeling of the correct form is a great idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness