Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 08:03 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,868,108 times

Advertisements

i know its hard to tell since i had gastric bypass...

but im averaging a weekly weight loss of about 3lbs...

this past week i started resistance training 3 times a week ontop of my areobic excersize and my weight loss this week has only been 1 1/2 lbs...

i know that muscle is denser and weighs more relitve to its mass than fat, so i kind of expected to slow on the weight loss a little as the muscles built, but i wanst expecting to see that kind of result quite so quickly.

does this sound normal?
(of course normal being relitive given the situation)
my dr says not to worry given plateaus and such are also normal...

but i cant help it, ive got so far to go and dont want to sabotage myself this early on while loosing weight is at its easiest.

im doing what im supposed to be, keeping my proteins up and my carbs relitivly low, small meals frequently, averaging 600 calories right now, (its all i can fit in my tummy lol) in lean high protein foods and low fat products.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 09:29 AM

610 posts, read 1,296,057 times
If it's your first time exercising with resistance anything can happen the first month or so.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:04 AM

thanks, it is, i was a resistance trainging virgin before this past week lol

Old 12-08-2010, 10:11 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,455,280 times
When I first started weight training I retained more fluid than usual. It takes a little while for people to gain muscle so I doubt that you slowed weightloss is because of that.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:59 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,679,521 times
Personally I think you should be asking your doctor about this... gastric bypass is a very serious surgery (despite how easy it is to get it). Or at least talk to people who have had the surgery and successfully lost the weight.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:43 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,922,461 times
I think she said she has talked to her doc about this, which is a good idea. Foxy, I doubt that you're already gaining that much muscle in that short a time. My best guess is that you were losing as much as you were at first because exercise was something new your body had to get used to. Most likely your body has now adjusted some to this level of exertion, so you're losing weight more slowly than you were at first when exercise was a big change.

Based on several of your posts in different threads, it sounds as if you're communicating with your doctor. By getting exercise, at a level that meets the doc's recommendations, you're making all the right moves. You're still losing weight too, even if the rate of loss has slowed. Variations in the rate of weight loss are normal. It's best to think of fitness as a lifelong habit. If you think of it that way, you keep going the way you are and your weight will get to and reamain at the right level in due time. You're doing fine. Congratulations on your progress, and keep at it!

Old 12-08-2010, 10:08 PM

well the odd part is the i only started at the gym last week which is when the weight loss slowed lol.

aparently i loose more when i sit on my butt lol, but im not doing myself any favors doing that, and id much rather loose a little slower and be healthier over all than get into bad habits like being lazy.

i am in contact with my dr on a regular basis, she seems fine with the weight loss average right now so i guess ill just stick to it and see how it goes.
i also think mabe my body after 12 weeks of dropping 2-5lbs a week has probably decided it needs a little while to catch up a little bit.
i just overreact alot since surgery, im always worried about not doing well with the weight loss.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:19 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,789,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
i know its hard to tell since i had gastric bypass...

but im averaging a weekly weight loss of about 3lbs...

this past week i started resistance training 3 times a week ontop of my areobic excersize and my weight loss this week has only been 1 1/2 lbs...

i know that muscle is denser and weighs more relitve to its mass than fat, so i kind of expected to slow on the weight loss a little as the muscles built, but i wanst expecting to see that kind of result quite so quickly.

does this sound normal?
(of course normal being relitive given the situation)
my dr says not to worry given plateaus and such are also normal...

but i cant help it, ive got so far to go and dont want to sabotage myself this early on while loosing weight is at its easiest.

im doing what im supposed to be, keeping my proteins up and my carbs relitivly low, small meals frequently, averaging 600 calories right now, (its all i can fit in my tummy lol) in lean high protein foods and low fat products.
When you first start serious resistance training your body composition changes very quickly. I think this is normal and as your body starts getting comfortable with the training the weight loss will accelerate again. Stressed muscles will also retain some water so your scale readings can be deceptive.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:36 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,970,410 times
At this point, I think instead of concentration on weight loss, you should really start to focus on HEALTH. With your operation, the weight IS going to fall off, so now you should just focus on how you can improve your health/fitness. Instead of watching the scale, start watching how many reps you do and with how much weight.

Good luck.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:39 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,789,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
At this point, I think instead of concentration on weight loss, you should really start to focus on HEALTH. With your operation, the weight IS going to fall off, so now you should just focus on how you can improve your health/fitness. Instead of watching the scale, start watching how many reps you do and with how much weight.

Good luck.
Very good advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness