Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 10:47 PM

894 posts, read 2,315,914 times

Advertisements

I live in Charlottesville, Va, so I don't know if it's just a local thing or not. But just about every person I see jogging seems to choose to run in the street, even when there is a perfectly good sidewalk to use, even with no one, or very few pedestrians on the sidewalk. I was wondering why someone would choose to run in the street and risk getting sideswiped or run over by a car instead of using the safer sidewalk. I personally have almost hit someone and when there is oncoming traffic, it can be difficult to go around someone because there is not much room. I hope this does not offend anyone, I'm just curious is all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 05:03 AM

423 posts, read 1,237,808 times
I'm not in that area, so I can't offer anything conclusive. But perhaps the roadways are blacktop and the sidewalks are cement?? Some runners believe that the blacktop is "softer" and therefore running on blacktop causes less impact to joints than running on cement. I don't notice any difference between the two surfaces.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:56 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,308,329 times
When I ran on the streets I would regulate myself to the gutter which is normally between the street and sidewalks. The sidewalks are challenging because of the constant elevation change (slightly up and down) when crossing the streets. At the same time, the street does have a slight increase which places more emphasis on the knee closest to street median. Regardless, they should not run on either surface, very bad on the knees.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:23 AM

278 posts, read 993,370 times
ShadowBat, I also wonder the same thing. I have read articles that recommend the street over the sidewalk because of the softer impact, but it sacrifices safety! Personally, I can't tell a difference.
And there is nothing more annoying while driving than having to slow down because a runner or cyclist won't get out of the street. If you are going to be in the street, atleast choose a wide one during slow traffic periods.
There is one 2 lane street in particular I'm thinking of that is 40mph and always has bicycles and runners with no bike lanes.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:24 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
The sidewalks are challenging because of the constant elevation change (slightly up and down) when crossing the streets.

Regardless, they should not run on either surface, very bad on the knees.
And we have a winner!!!

That is exactly why I usually prefer to run in the streets if I have to run through neighborhoods. The elevation changes from stepping off of curbs then back on curbs when crossing streets and sidewalks arent usually as well taken care of as the streets so there could be lots of cracks, bumps and other obstacles you'll have to manage while on the sidewalk. The other thing for me is, a lot of people have homes with fenced in yards and let their dogs roam free. I hate being in my own little world while running and having some dog all of a sudden bark or lunge at me through the fence.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:27 AM

198 posts, read 483,494 times
I stick to the sidewalks, but I understand why some people run in the streets. I'm taken several spectacular spills as a result of tripping on uneven sidewalks. This is mostly a hazard when it's dark and tends to be a problem in neighborhoods that have large boulevard trees that can raise sidewalk panels. Also, a lot of times when spring comes around the days are above freezing but nights are below freezing. Snow melt tends to refreeze at night and form glare ice which is almost impossible to see in the dark. This problem is much worse on sidewalks than streets. I stick to the sidewalks anyway because I think it's discourteous to motorists to run in the street.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:14 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,990,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyCop View Post
ShadowBat, I also wonder the same thing. I have read articles that recommend the street over the sidewalk because of the softer impact, but it sacrifices safety! Personally, I can't tell a difference. And there is nothing more annoying while driving than having to slow down because a runner or cyclist won't get out of the street. If you are going to be in the street, atleast choose a wide one during slow traffic periods. There is one 2 lane street in particular I'm thinking of that is 40mph and always has bicycles and runners with no bike lanes.
As I am a street runner for the reasons mentioned,[as well as others, like there are no sidewalks] I would like to address the above issue as it is an annoyance TO ME. As I mentioned, where I live, in order to run any distance, sidewalks are not an option. Roads are narrow. I run facing traffic and move over as far as I can. My goal is not to irritate drivers, however, I cannot believe how many idiots go screaming by without moving over AT ALL even when they have the room! In addition, some are talking on their cell and make it even more dangerous. THEY are the ones affecting my safety! NOTHING more annoying then having to slow down for a runner or biker? Nothing, really? How much time do you actually lose even if you have to come to a complete stop to allow a person to run by?10-15 seconds? Will that really hamper getting to your destination? Why is it SO annoying to have to slow down or move over for a runner or biker? Is it just so inconvenient for you? I'm sorry, I just do not have the option to "choose a wide road". There aren't any around these parts! Do you want people to just run or bike back and forth on the wide roads? Maybe stop and admire that person for being out there running or biking instead of being bothered they are slowing you down and taking up "your" road.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:19 PM

278 posts, read 993,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
As I am a street runner for the reasons mentioned,[as well as others, like there are no sidewalks] I would like to address the above issue as it is an annoyance TO ME. As I mentioned, where I live, in order to run any distance, sidewalks are not an option. Roads are narrow. I run facing traffic and move over as far as I can. My goal is not to irritate drivers, however, I cannot believe how many idiots go screaming by without moving over AT ALL even when they have the room! In addition, some are talking on their cell and make it even more dangerous. THEY are the ones affecting my safety! NOTHING more annoying then having to slow down for a runner or biker? Nothing, really? How much time do you actually lose even if you have to come to a complete stop to allow a person to run by?10-15 seconds? Will that really hamper getting to your destination? Why is it SO annoying to have to slow down or move over for a runner or biker? Is it just so inconvenient for you? I'm sorry, I just do not have the option to "choose a wide road". There aren't any around these parts! Do you want people to just run or bike back and forth on the wide roads? Maybe stop and admire that person for being out there running or biking instead of being bothered they are slowing you down and taking up "your" road.
Is it so inconvenient for you to go somewhere you can safely run? How about a park or trail? Many people do it, including me.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:46 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Quote:
Is it so inconvenient for you to go somewhere you can safely run? How about a park or trail? Many people do it, including me.
Streets are for cars and other vehicles. Sidewalks are for pedestrians. Go run in a park. Its bad enough I have to be on constant lookout for crappy drivers but a runner who has head phones on in their own little world not paying attention is a pain in the butt. Honestly if you can't run without tripping over side walk cracks do you really think your paying enough attention in the street?

Old 12-29-2010, 12:53 PM

17,391 posts, read 16,532,427 times
Quote:
Ice/snow/cold temps and gusting winds have forced me off the trails lately and into the gym. Although the past couple of days haven't been too bad outside..

People will often walk, run or jog in the street because the streets have been treated with salt and sand. Most of the sidewalks and trails have not been treated in any way and that can make for some pretty slippery conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness