Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2011, 07:31 PM

1,678 posts, read 4,015,821 times

Advertisements

Well, I finally am at the point where I am wanting to add some "bulk muscle" to my physique. I actually got a tad underweight (142 lbs), and am looking to get back to around 160, through muscle gains. I have a pretty strong understanding of my workout regime, I am more curious about the proteins and the high fibers.

For example, I know that 93/7 Beef is alot more lean than 80/20, but is there THAT big of a difference, especially when it comes to a bulking eating routine? How about dark chicken meat vs. white (breast) chicken meat? Pork? What kinds of fish are most recommended? Turkey?

Also, when it comes to the high fibers, I realize alot comes from breads, brown rice. Any other good sources to recommend? Good, raw veggies that are essential?

I am shooting to eat about 500 calories above my maintenance. I am also curious about the thoughts of hamburgers (like BK, McDonalds, Wendy's), without the buns, and scraping off cheese and the excess.

Ian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 01:21 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,537,040 times
you want to do a clean bulk, meaning you will add muscle and minimize the amount of fat you gain. Do a search on a clean bulk. You start with about 200 calories above your maintenance level and slowly raise it. Eat clean food, no BK and fast food. The goal is to ADD as little fat as possible while bulking~!!!

Old 01-19-2011, 03:02 PM

610 posts, read 1,296,748 times
When I bulk I just throw down whatever and make sure there's a lot of red meat in there. And then some more red meat.
If there is anything essential it's the red meat.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:44 PM

30 posts, read 85,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
you want to do a clean bulk, meaning you will add muscle and minimize the amount of fat you gain. Do a search on a clean bulk. You start with about 200 calories above your maintenance level and slowly raise it. Eat clean food, no BK and fast food. The goal is to ADD as little fat as possible while bulking~!!!
Eating burgers, pizza etc is not a problem if he's bulking, a few times a week and not every day as long as you make sure you count calories, you don't need to be extremely precise it's not like you're a professional bodybuilder, but around +500. The average dinner should be something like rice and chicken with some kind of salad.

If you're having problems eating above your maintenance level eat a handful of nuts everyday, cashews are good and also high in calories, something like 600 calories/100 grams. And milk ofcourse...

Old 01-21-2011, 02:23 AM

2,819 posts, read 6,460,759 times
It will take a fair bit of time and learning to get the perfect diet, but when it happens and everything clicks, you not only come out with a better result physically, but you have learn't a hell of nutrition wise.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:25 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,989,731 times
First of all, you should throw out all of your thinking of "I'll eat 500 calories above my maintenance diet" because that is NOT going to work for you. If you are bulking then you really dont and wont know what the heck your "maintenance" level is because you SHOULD be working your butt off lifting as heavy as possible at the highest intensity possible and as such, the level and amount of calories you burn will go through the roof.

For me, I pay absolutely ZERO attention to what I take in while "maintaining" because I track the results of my workout which is more important to me. However, when I am CUTTING I am super strict on the calories I eat - ALWAYS between 1200-1500 per day. Same as when I bulk, its can go from 3500 - 5000 calories per day or more OF CLEAN HEALTHY FOOD. Remember, when you bulk, the goal is to GAIN weight and muscle mass so you need to EAT and you need to EAT A LOT!!

I suggest that you pick up the book "Power Eating" - Power Eating - 3rd Edition, Susan Kleiner, (9780736066983) Paperback - Barnes & Noble This book will provide you with everything you need to do a successful bulk. It covers proper NUTRITION and also talks about what supplements are good and what supplements to stay away from. Most importantly, it provides you will COMPLETE nutrition plans based on your goals. It is a GREAT book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness