Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 12:46 PM

72 posts, read 274,097 times

Advertisements

How many calories do you think you burn in a day? How do you estimate that burn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 11:58 PM

860 posts, read 2,205,015 times
From my workout alone, ~830 calories according to the treadmill. I go on it for 45 mins five days a week. Regardless whether that is accurate or not, I have been losing weight like clockwork.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberleutnant View Post
From my workout alone, ~830 calories according to the treadmill. I go on it for 45 mins five days a week. Regardless whether that is accurate or not, I have been losing weight like clockwork.

I'm sure you eat more than 830 calories in a day. Just existing burns calories. Sleeping burns calories. How do you know how many calories you can consume if you don't know how many calories you burn? How do people manage the uncertainty of their daily calorie burn?

Old 05-27-2011, 06:14 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
Quote:
I just want to say good for you and I got this ol body back together doing just as you did. You are dead on too. I put that incline up as far as it can go and power walk as fast as possible without calling it running. I go for 35 minutes and it shows 650 calories. If I just did 35 minutes flat it would take me over an hour to burn that amount. Putting the incline up works many parts of the leg normal walking don't. The pounds melted away (not that I was ever overweight).

From the treadmill I can estimate when I hike I burn 100 calories per 15 minute miles walking on the trails or paved paths.

Then after all that I dance 6 nights per week. 2 step don't burn very much but the polka sure does. My intake is from 2800 to 3400 per day. I burn from 1500 to 2000 per day.

If ever I see that piece of candy or some one offers me a soda I will just think how it takes about 2 minutes to eat that candy bar with 400 calories and that it would take me about 30 brutal minutes on the treadmill to burn that off. It don't take me long to say no thanks. I can see my feet and like it that way.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:38 AM

295 posts, read 1,450,267 times
Tracking calories as a solitary factor for weight loss is useless. 1000 calories of Special K cereal is used differently by your body than 1000 calories of tuna and apples. If you are not eating the right combination of foods, your body is not using its stored energy as efficiently as it could. You cannot 'burn' a candy bar off simply by walking on a treadmill. You have to eat an appropriate amount of protein, that will eventually be paired with that candy bar's fats and carbohydrates, and allow the body to process it as fuel.

Also consider these factors:
- everyone has unique genetic factors that affect their ability to convert food energy into fuel (as opposed to store it as fat)
- calorie calculations on exercise machines are based on a generic mathematic equation (and are not necessarily accurate).
- the human body is adaptive, meaning that 45 minutes of walking at the same 10-minute per mile pace will not be as effective at 'burning calories' over time

In other words: Genetics will determine how well your body processes the foods you eat; but eating a diet higher in protein will allow you to 'burn more calories' than eating a diet higher in carbs and fat would - even if those diets contain the same amount of calories. Also, you are more effective at reducing body fat by continually stressing your body and by periodically changing your exercise habits.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:31 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
About 3,200 calories per day according to most charts that take into account height, weight, and level of activity (I excercise about 90 minutes a day).Right now i'm consuming about 1,500-2,000 a day with very few carbs and losing a bit over 3 pounds a week. I've lost 20 pounds over the past 6 weeks.

Old 05-28-2011, 03:44 PM

860 posts, read 2,205,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plateau View Post
I'm sure you eat more than 830 calories in a day. Just existing burns calories. Sleeping burns calories. How do you know how many calories you can consume if you don't know how many calories you burn? How do people manage the uncertainty of their daily calorie burn?
Well yes of course; I average only about 2500 calories per day in consumption. With my workouts and what I burn naturally and through normal daily activities is enough to ensure weight loss.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
About 3,200 calories per day according to most charts that take into account height, weight, and level of activity (I excercise about 90 minutes a day).Right now i'm consuming about 1,500-2,000 a day with very few carbs and losing a bit over 3 pounds a week. I've lost 20 pounds over the past 6 weeks.
What do you do in that 90 minute period that helps you burn over 3,000 calories in a day? I need some suggestions on how to burn calories. I'm not doing nearly as good as you.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:

On the treadmill, do you use an incline and what speed do you go? I'm trying to get some suggestion to try so I can more efficiently burn calories. I'm struggling.

Old 06-01-2011, 03:10 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
Quote:
What do you do in that 90 minute period that helps you burn over 3,000 calories in a day? I need some suggestions on how to burn calories. I'm not doing nearly as good as you.
I just walk 5-6 miles every day along the bike path near my house (which includes some pretty good climbs) in addition to staying on the move as much as possible the rest of the day. Get yourself a pedometer to see how mobile you are. Combine with a low carb diet and you'll get great results pretty quickly. I'm in my 50s when metabolism has supposedly slowed down. However, I no longer believe that it's all that difficult to lose weight as you get older.

Quote:
I'm trying to get some suggestion to try so I can more efficiently burn calories. I'm struggling.
Are you struggling to exercise or lose weight? It's a lot more efficient to just quit eating a bunch of empty calories than to burn more through exercise. If you're having trouble losing weight it's more likely due to your diet than to your workout program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness