Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 09:32 PM

805 posts, read 1,084,379 times

Advertisements

On Craigslist I can get a Bowflex Xtreme with a lot of the add-ons for $200. This sounds like a great deal. My wife and I are in the process of moving into a bigger place with a detached garage; and I was thinking of putting the Bowflex on the second story of the garage and turning it into an exercise room (we have no gym in town or places to lift free weights).

I am not looking to get huge or ripped, but I would like to get decently toned, especially in my chest, back and legs. Is $200 for a lightly used Bowflex worth the plunge?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 10:44 PM

395 posts, read 1,540,284 times
My son had a bowflex when he was in high school (he is twenty now so it was not that long ago). I seem to remember that he loved it for a while then he moved on to a weight bench for lifting. He said that the bowflex became too easy for him.

It might be a good idea for your wife though since women really can't get as ripped as men can get. So yes, if you have the $200 you should get it. Then if it does not work out for you or your wife then you can re-sell it and re-coup most, if not all of your money.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:50 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyfanatic85 View Post
be blunt: Is a bowflex worth it?
no.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:40 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,169,415 times
200 bucks? Absolutely. Try getting a bar, a bench, the weights, and some dumbbells for that.

Oh, and avoid Cultfit.

Provided it comes with a good amount of resistance, yes, it can get you "ripped", whatever that means. You can lift heavy weight for days and never become "ripped". Look at the strongest men in the world, not "ripped".

Ripped is the same as toned or shredded or some other crap. Doesn't means anything.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:11 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,908,183 times
You'd get a better variety of effective exercises with some free weights. If it's either/or about what to spend your money on, rather than the Bowflex, you'd be better off with a bench, some dumbbells of various weights, and a good solid chinning bar.

Last edited by ogre; 06-20-2011 at 02:35 AM..

Old 06-20-2011, 05:20 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
The problem with Bowflex is that people get bored with it in short order. That's WHY it's available for only $200 on craigslist. I had to talk my husband out of buying one of their big monstrosities; it's a good thing I did, too. He and I both joined a gym instead (two years, $400, less than the cost of a bowflex that we'd forget to use after a month). He has gone - once, in the 6 weeks we've been gym members.

If you want to work out at home, start SMALL. Buy two sets of dumbbells: two 5 pound, and 2 10 pound. You'll pay less than 50 bucks. Then buy a weighted jump rope. If your home doesn't have any rugs or carpeting, get a yoga mat too.

You'll pay less for these items than the bowflex, no shipping costs, no risk of buying over the internet from strangers on craiglist, and this stuff will fit on a single shelf in a closet instead of hogging up 10 square feet of floor space.

If you end up using it, even better. But if you don't, you'll have wasted less money than if you had gotten the Bowflex.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:33 AM

214 posts, read 705,383 times
Not at all. a set of ten dollar resistance bands will virtually do the same thing…

Old 06-20-2011, 07:28 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

If you want to work out at home, start SMALL. Buy two sets of dumbbells: two 5 pound, and 2 10 pound.
WTH?!?!? We are not talking about an 11 year old girl here, we are talking to a MAN. WTF is he going to do with 5 and 10 pound dumbbells? My 16 year old would laugh his a$$ off if someone suggested to him to start off with 5 and 10 pound dumbbells.

OP, Bowflexes are junk. Dont even bother. Get yourself a jump rope and since you are a MAN and just starting out, get yourself a couple of 30 pound and 40 pound dumbbells. This is the perfect beginning weights for someone just starting out. You can do squats, thrusters, presses, etc. all with this weight.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:23 AM

295 posts, read 1,449,923 times
I had a Soloflex way back in the day.
It was a good piece of equipment, that did the job it advertised. Just like the Bowflex does. Of course, if you are serious enough about working out and getting big/strong, you will quickly get bored with it. My Soloflex made a great jacket-hanger in my garage for about six years before I sold it for about twenty bucks.
The cheaper you can get it, the less likely you will care too much when you throw it out.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:58 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
Well Bowflex better than no Bowflex if your options are limited. Is that $200 a considerably reduction in savings to other offerings.

I do recall a review online was done of Bowflex vs. Total Gym 2000. The Total Gym rated higher overall in terms of resistance. The Bowflex was well regarded only the other machine scored higher on their examining criteria.

I admit I have and use a Total Gym. I also have a Ballys less than one mile from home and the pneumatic machines there are more grueling than than the Total Gym.

I know of three people who use Bowflex machines (do not know what type) and they are pleased with the results. Same end result as you were interested in- a healthy toned appearance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness