Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 01:05 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,749,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I think I've donated or thrown away about $750 worth of clothes. Ultimately it's because I'm doing good things for my body (size 38" waist to 33" so far), but it's still a bit of an annoyance.
i think you are making a mistake getting rid of your clothes since chances are you will gain the weight back before winter is over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 01:10 PM

50,400 posts, read 64,106,567 times
Ouch.
This always happened to me. I've lost the same 25# about 6 times. All the diets work, but only while you're on them.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:12 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,722,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i think you are making a mistake getting rid of your clothes since chances are you will gain the weight back before winter is over.
Why do you always think people are going to fatten up again?

Old 08-17-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Why do you always think people are going to fatten up again?
isnt that what happens about 95% of the time? im just going with the odds.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:21 PM

44,378 posts, read 20,094,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I think I've donated or thrown away about $750 worth of clothes. Ultimately it's because I'm doing good things for my body (size 38" waist to 33" so far), but it's still a bit of an annoyance.
Excellent, that you've lost so many inches, Hokie! I've been losing weight for the past couple of years, and I not only donate some of my clothes to Goodwill but also shop there for some "new" stuff. I live in a town that has a lot of well-to-do people, and they give away really good stuff; some items with tags still on them. I go for the bargains, since I don't want to invest too much in clothes until I reach my goal weight.

Keep up the good work!

Old 08-17-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
isnt that what happens about 95% of the time? im just going with the odds.
lol. I dunno.

I actually wonder how much that is going to change with all the easy access info these days.

But:
95% Regain Lost Weight. Or Do They? - NYTimes.com

"''That 95 percent figure has become clinical lore,'' said Dr. Thomas Wadden, a professor of psychiatry at the University of Pennsylvania. There is no basis for it, he said, ''but it's part of the mythology of obesity.'"

I guess its a number from the 60s from a clinical study of those with mental issues too.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
lol. I dunno.

I actually wonder how much that is going to change with all the easy access info these days.

But:
95% Regain Lost Weight. Or Do They? - NYTimes.com

"''That 95 percent figure has become clinical lore,'' said Dr. Thomas Wadden, a professor of psychiatry at the University of Pennsylvania. There is no basis for it, he said, ''but it's part of the mythology of obesity.'"

I guess its a number from the 60s from a clinical study of those with mental issues too.
i just pulled the 95% number out of my butt, i have no clue what it really is. plus, there is so much variation between people and the number of times they lose it and gain it. some people lose 10 pounds and gain 10 pounds back every few months. someone else may keep it off for a few years then they let it come back. it definitely seems like once you have gotten fat, you are stuck and will always come back. thats why i weigh my wife every night and make sure she doesnt gain any weight any day so we can nip that issue in the bud.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:42 PM

Kinda funny though that you were dead on for that study.

I do think its easy to gain weight back right after you lose. The body is strange. Seems the longer you keep it off though it stays off. I have read studies where people who keep it off for two years generally keep it off for life. I noticed in myself around the two year mark I had less munchies and bloating etc.

You wife puts up with that? Why doesnt she just take her own wt?

Old 08-17-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Kinda funny though that you were dead on for that study.

I do think its easy to gain weight back right after you lose. The body is strange. Seems the longer you keep it off though it stays off. I have read studies where people who keep it off for two years generally keep it off for life. I noticed in myself around the two year mark I had less munchies and bloating etc.

You wife puts up with that? Why doesnt she just take her own wt?
i guess if you keep it up for 2 years, you have probably gotten used to the new way of eating and arent just doing some kind of crazy diet. i dont keep my weight controlled with short term diets, its just a way of eating i consider permanent.

im just kidding about my wife. she is so obsessed about her weight, i dont need to worry about it.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
i guess if you keep it up for 2 years, you have probably gotten used to the new way of eating and arent just doing some kind of crazy diet. i dont keep my weight controlled with short term diets, its just a way of eating i consider permanent.

im just kidding about my wife. she is so obsessed about her weight, i dont need to worry about it.
Me too. I will agree its half habit. But there had to be something else going on. The hunger part was the strangest. It kicked in like a monster every 20 lbs or so.

I was going to yell at you to be nice to her. hahaa!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness