Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 06:14 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
My parents were both always overweight and chances are my kids will be overweight and so will theres and so on and so forth. Some people grew up in households were eating healthy isn't a top priority.
Okay, all bickering and arguing aside, this is where it really REALLY become serious and where it really becomes a vitally important issue - children.

Sure there are people here who complain that people are mean to fat people, and there are people here who seem to have disdain for thin/fit people, but no matter where you lie in terms of the side of the fence of fat or fit you are on, we can ALL agree that when it comes to children, we should ALL make the right choices for THEM.

TJ you really need to curb that mindset. I know you do not have kids now, but when you do, you will realize that THEY become the most important things in your world. As such, you, we (and all parents) owe it to our kids to teach them how to take care of themselves which involves teaching them how to eat right and maintain healthy happy lives. For you to just think and accept that your own children will be overweight is just sad in my opinion. We (as parents) absolutely need to be the shining examples to our children of how to eat right and be healthy. This is why I am usually harder on those with children to lose weight. They/We OWE it to our children to be around to help them grow up and to teach them how to be healthy happy productive people in society. We should NOT accept them and give up because they are destined to be fat. That is horrible.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:38 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
Some people grew up in households were eating healthy isn't a top priority.
I'm sorry. I am all for not going out of one's way to be critical. But you have the ability to choose what is going to be a top priority for you. Don't keep blaming it on everyone and everything with all the poor me I can'ts. If you are gonna decide to stay fat, do it.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:07 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,001,241 times
Wow, this thread just proves one thing. People say things on the Net they'd never dare say to a fat person in real life. Just think, that fat person could sit on you and squish you.

Hey, Lao, 13.6 lbs and counting - NO exercise.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:36 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Haha!

I know its an odd request and I did not expect you to have her do it. But the data you have presented just points to an assumption based on what you observed. Since you do not have the lab facts and food history in front of you, you can only assume that she is magical and can eat whatever she wants. You have not observed her thyroid hormones, or a monthly total of food down to the gram or her activity output. So its just a guess that she may or may not overeat. To you she appears not to. But that doesn't mean its a fact because the observations are not detailed enough with constant values to make that judgement.

What is wrong with you? I have been around the girl her entire life. She doesn't have anything wrong with her. She is not hyperthyroid. Are you saying it is not possible for someone to have a high metabolism and be able to eat a lot and remain thin? Think again. Have you studied the cellular basis of metabolism? I have. There are SO many variables and for you to say that it is simply a matter of food intake and exercise is WRONG. I know you want to think you know it all, but you don't.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:53 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Very true.

The give you active charcoal in the ER for poisoning because it does make you throw up and crap your brains out. It absorbs whatever is toxic to your system and the body removes it through throwing up and having BMs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
It's true. When someone takes an overdose they are given activated charcoal to make them vomit.
I don't know where you guys are getting this from, but it's simply not true. Charcoal absorbs and binds to toxins and limits enteroenteric circulation of foreign substances. It also slows down metabolism. It does nothing to induce vomiting.

Charcoal is usually administered with emetic (typically ipecac syrup). It is the emetic which induced vomiting. The charcoal itself does not induce vomiting. Activated charcoal will pass through your body just fine. It supposedly gives you gas, but I don't know about that.

You might want to have another discussion with your doctor or whoever told you guys this.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:18 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Wow, this thread just proves one thing. People say things on the Net they'd never dare say to a fat person in real life. Just think, that fat person could sit on you and squish you.

Hey, Lao, 13.6 lbs and counting - NO exercise.
This is the EXACT reason why America is having an obesity problem.

In India, people will call fat people on their face. They will openly ask why a person is expanding and if there is an inherent problem. From family members to neighbours, and there will be people openly referring to you or anyone else as "that fat man" or "that fat woman"

It's the same in France too, I have family scattered around France.

It's that political correctness that has led people to not do anything to take corrective action. Could be American culture.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
This is the EXACT reason why America is having an obesity problem.

In India, people will call fat people on their face. They will openly ask why a person is expanding and if there is an inherent problem. From family members to neighbours, and there will be people openly referring to you or anyone else as "that fat man" or "that fat woman"

It's the same in France too, I have family scattered around France.

It's that political correctness that has led people to not do anything to take corrective action. Could be American culture.
I do it here as well. Although, I won't make fun of them or say they look like a blimp. I'll just tell them to stop being careless and start taking care of yourself.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:24 PM

2,035 posts, read 3,352,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Actually, Lao, it's you that needs a major overhaul of the mindset.
Your incessant posting of anti-(anyone who is overweight at all) is not only repetitive but is also shallow and very rude. Not to mention ignorant, crude and incorrect.
Anyway, I clearly agree with the poster you are replying to in the above quoted post. I have, so very many times, wanted to post similar words to you but the Terms of Service and my respect for them limits me - that's why I previously just offered to install another 50 mirrors in your home.
Well, back to where we were.....bowing down to the almighty Lao.
LOL! In your dreams!

I love, understand and respect overweight people and always will.
Funny, I don't feel that about you at all. ....
Awesome post.

The only thing that ever really makes me sick is someone's attitude, not their weight or how they look.

It's funny becuz this thread reminds me of threads on other boards i've been on where weight issues have been discussed. Many times really thin people will chime in and say how much they wish they could gain weight, and how they've tried and they are sick of being boney and not shapely etc. (I guess there are none of them on this board.)

With the way many are thinking here - they should just be stuffing down tons more food, and laying around... Well, these thin people said they already ate A LOT, and even added milkshakes, bread, potatos, and junk food to their diets and still couldnt gain.

So please take your expertise about why people are fat to some other place where people will believe you (pre-K maybe).

Old 09-19-2011, 08:24 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
And it's threads like these that will really make people who need fitness help think twice before they post here. Nobody wants to be ridiculed or insulted by a bunch of bullies.
Agree. The attitude in this forum is actively nasty and quite discouraging. Who'd want to open up to a bunch of internet know-it-alls?

Old 09-19-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
And it's threads like these that will really make people who need fitness help think twice before they post here. Nobody wants to be ridiculed or insulted by a bunch of bullies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Agree. The attitude in this forum is actively nasty and quite discouraging. Who'd want to open up to a bunch of internet know-it-alls?
I don't know how true that is though. If you look at the threads of overweight people asking for help and guidance, they are generally supportive.

This thread has a different purpose. It is serving that purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness