Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 07:41 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,512,585 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I've been losing weight steadily the past year and feeling better. Now I'd like to work on conditioning and improving my endurance. I'd like to start walking and jogging and wanted some ideas on how to begin, what to buy, etc. I plan on taking up yoga and martial arts when I get back to a city (living in a very remote area right now) but there are plenty of places to walk/jog/hike here. I appreciate any advice offered. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 07:45 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
If you are trying to continue to lose weight and really increase your fitness level, interval training is where it's at. You gotta spike your heart rate.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
If you are trying to continue to lose weight and really increase your fitness level, interval training is where it's at. You gotta spike your heart rate.
Well I'm limited as to what I can do given where I am which is why I'm thinking walking and jogging. I've heard people say things like walk, then sprint to a planned spot, then go back to walking, repeat. Do you mean something like that?

Old 10-29-2011, 08:01 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
Hello all. I've been losing weight steadily the past year and feeling better. Now I'd like to work on conditioning and improving my endurance. I'd like to start walking and jogging and wanted some ideas on how to begin, what to buy, etc. I plan on taking up yoga and martial arts when I get back to a city (living in a very remote area right now) but there are plenty of places to walk/jog/hike here. I appreciate any advice offered. Thank you!

Congratulations on losing weight.

I have been walking for a few months and just started jogging last week. I bought a good pair of sneakers and got determined.

Here is an 8 week plan that takes things slowly so you can build your endurance up. Try it out and if you can do more than go for it. Either way, getting out there and doing it is better than nothing.

Good luck.

How to Start Running

Old 10-30-2011, 07:22 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
Well I'm limited as to what I can do given where I am which is why I'm thinking walking and jogging. I've heard people say things like walk, then sprint to a planned spot, then go back to walking, repeat. Do you mean something like that?
Yes. Exactly. Or walk moderately and then go one minute walking as fast as you can...you should feel like you are pushing yourself to the extreme...then walk moderately again.

Get a heart rate monitor. It makes it a game.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:16 AM

Thank you, Stan and Lisa. Great info and links. I'm going to get started very soon.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:54 AM

17,390 posts, read 16,532,427 times
Good advice here. I would also suggest walking on a surface other than concrete if at all possible. Dirt/gravel trails, even asphalt are much easier on your joints.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Good advice here. I would also suggest walking on a surface other than concrete if at all possible. Dirt/gravel trails, even asphalt are much easier on your joints.
There's plenty of dirt and gravel here. I can walk the rim of Canyon DeShelly but non-natives aren't allowed into the canyon without a Navajo guide or ranger.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:17 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Check out Cool Running | The Couch-to-5K ® Running Plan...it's not a bad introductory program even if you never plan on running a 5k, and you can individualize it to yourself and your needs very easily.

As far as equipment, all you really need for your purposes are comfortable running shoes.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Check out Cool Running | The Couch-to-5K ® Running Plan...it's not a bad introductory program even if you never plan on running a 5k, and you can individualize it to yourself and your needs very easily.

As far as equipment, all you really need for your purposes are comfortable running shoes.
Thank you for the link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness