Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 09:41 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,722,162 times

Advertisements

What is up with my local gym now offering “disabled-only” and female-only programs

And why do I hear some people are up want to segregate gyms based on race and gender

Sorry if i sound misinformed here, but there’s the whole push for female bodybuilding, female-only gyms, apperantly they also want more Muslims in fitness too

Meet Amina Khan, the Health Guru Working to Revolutionize the Fitness Space | Muslim Girl

Well guess those black athletes training in gyms don’t cater to the SJW crowd anymore

Old 03-24-2019, 09:57 PM

4,566 posts, read 5,425,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
And why do I hear some people are up want to segregate gyms based on race .......
Sounds to me that you hang around with some ignorant bad people if they "are up want to segregate gyms based on race"!!

My guess is that you really didnt hear some people say this, unless you read it online over at Stormfront. NO ONE wants to do that. NO ONE!!

Old 03-24-2019, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Sounds to me that you hang around with some ignorant bad people if they "are up want to segregate gyms based on race"!!

My guess is that you really didnt hear some people say this, unless you read it online over at Stormfront. NO ONE wants to do that. NO ONE!!
Regardless I am just expressing my concern, I hope nicely that SJW garbage doesn't get shoved down our faces next across the gym and fitness industry

Everyone has the right to enjoy a free fitness space and if a person likes using fitness or exercise as an empowerment tool good for them

And yeah I had people say that near me literally in the gym I go to

But yeah i think everyone should have a right to enjoy a gym or fitness center without any discrimination. I don't care your race, gender, sexuality or mental state. As long as you don't shove your beliefs down in public and don't cause any harm we are good ������������

Old 03-24-2019, 11:17 PM

3,695 posts, read 2,416,968 times
Quote:
What is up with my local gym now offering “disabled-only” and female-only programs

And why do I hear some people are up want to segregate gyms based on race and gender

Sorry if i sound misinformed here, but there’s the whole push for female bodybuilding, female-only gyms, apperantly they also want more Muslims in fitness too

Meet Amina Khan, the Health Guru Working to Revolutionize the Fitness Space | Muslim Girl

Well guess those black athletes training in gyms don’t cater to the SJW crowd anymore
Here's a quote from the article:

Quote:
The problem is that Muslim women are neglected by the mainstream fitness industry. Health psychologists, across the board, criticize the mainstream fitness industry for being overly sexualized, and this can lead to body image issues, self-objectification, and exclusion towards women who prefer to dress modestly. Anyone who’s ever gone to a public gym, or tried a workout DVD knows that there is a clear lack of relatable fitness role models for Muslim women.
I've been going to gyms for 30 years.

I've never perceived or experienced anything that was "sexualized."

She's another "neglected" one and another "victim" not only pushing an agenda but making money, IMO.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post

She's another "neglected" one and another "victim" not only pushing an agenda but making money, IMO.
And the women dress there anyways like 2 or 3 times, they're not always in skimpy clothing

Also, what exercises can men and able bodied people do that women and the disabled can't

Old 03-25-2019, 07:21 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Box jumps?

Old 03-25-2019, 08:28 AM

5,280 posts, read 6,217,453 times
Sometimes there are valid reasons to separate.

I know of a male only yoga class whose main function was to introduce guys to yoga by removing two impediments- guys not wanting to be one of only 1 or 2 males in the class and selecting poses/flows that were more accessible to guys.

I'm fine with gyms and pools also designating certain times as separate for those who cannot be in exercise attire around the opposite sex. I have actually known a couple of more conservative Christian women who would have appreciated the same set-up.

I've also seen classes designated for seniors- this is typically done someone with less mobility or strength can actually participate in an entire class instead of sitting out or substituting entire portions. Removing yourself from an activities in a group class seems to be a pretty big trauma for some people- I actually have a friend who is switching HIIT gyms because he had to go from running the treadmill to using a bike in the last year. He is actually in really good shape and has always been fit- he has even done bike races/a couple of triathlons- but for some reason being at the end of the row on a bike has been a big blow he would rather not face.

In general I fall into the different strokes for different folks category so this is all fine by me as long as their are still gyms that allow all to participate. And usually these classes/separate hours are going to occur at goofy times when the facility wants to draw more people- mid afternoon for women/seniors, 8 at night for men/women only, Friday evenings or Sunday afternoons.

Old 03-25-2019, 08:50 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,824,977 times
I think the solution is simple. If going to the gym is too much for your religion, race, or gender don't go. Or open up a gym yourself and create the space that you crave. Or better yet, get over it.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:10 AM

29,522 posts, read 22,674,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post

So, you've never been to a gym where women were dressed in the skimpiest and tightest lycra with butt cheeks hanging out, getting on a stair climber right in front of a guy on a treadmill?

Old 03-25-2019, 09:45 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,053,026 times
Quote:

I'm not understanding what your problem is.

What is your objection to disabled only programs? What is your objection to female only programs?

What is wrong with female body building and female only gyms? There have been female only gyms for decades and decades since long before you were born, just like there have been male only gyms - are you only just now becoming aware of that? What is your objection to other people wanting that service for themselves?

And for heavens sake, why would you have a problem with the organization of women's faith-based fitness programs? If Christian and Buddhist women can do it, have been doing it forever, then why shouldn't Muslim women do it too? Seriously? What is your problem with that?

Are you going to be objecting next to gyms conducting yoga programs for women too and accusing all yoga practitioners of being segregationist social justice warriors?

You said " i think everyone should have a right to enjoy a gym or fitness center without any discrimination." Nobody is discriminating against anyone else so why are you questioning and being an oppressor about these things when they are the very things that everyone should have a right to enjoy?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness