Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 11:08 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,023,434 times

Advertisements

Just curious what your thoughts are, not trying to belittle the general population, simply hypothetical. I’m talking about 1 unassisted pull-up (not kipping). Let’s say amongst the adult population 18-45 years old (gym goers and non-gym goers included). My guess is:

Men: 15-20%
Women: 1-3%

Even if you can’t come up with an actual percentage, chime in with your thoughts on the pull-up in general. I put the Women’s % so low simply because I never see women doing pull-ups, and I go to the gym 3-4 days a week, and have been for several years. I don’t think I’ve ever seen it happen. So if gym-going, fit women can’t do any, then the general population is even less likely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 11:16 AM

758 posts, read 1,639,161 times
I have no idea on the actual percents, but I know that doing unassisted pullups is one of my goals for this year.

I think that the percentage is lower for women (and this is just complete conjecture on my part) because women rarely use their muscles in the way that is required for pullups. I know that even when I have been at my strongest/most fit, I really struggle with pullups and good form pushups. So I've come to the conclusion that (for me, at least) while some of it is straight up strength/mass/fitness, part of it is training my muscles to work in a specific way.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:30 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,809,283 times
I dunno how much of an assessment of physical strength pull ups are.
Your title says "pull up", meaning one.
In which case that's different.
But I'll betcha your right that only 15-20% of men can complete one.

Pull ups are rough.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:40 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
Just curious what your thoughts are, not trying to belittle the general population, simply hypothetical. I’m talking about 1 unassisted pull-up (not kipping). Let’s say amongst the adult population 18-45 years old (gym goers and non-gym goers included). My guess is:

Men: 15-20%
Women: 1-3%

Even if you can’t come up with an actual percentage, chime in with your thoughts on the pull-up in general. I put the Women’s % so low simply because I never see women doing pull-ups, and I go to the gym 3-4 days a week, and have been for several years. I don’t think I’ve ever seen it happen. So if gym-going, fit women can’t do any, then the general population is even less likely.
I think your percentages are about right and maybe even a bit high if you factor in ALL U.S. women, which is quite unfortunate and sad really. If you were to get even a sampling of 100 women here on CD and lined them all up in front of a pullup bar probably no more than 3-5 will be able to do an actual chin over the bar pullup. Oh, but 50 will post and say that they can, 100 will post and say that it isnt necessary, but you know, thats how it is.

Man, when I was in middle school we standard physical fitness tests we all had to do and I remember pullups being one of them along with being able to run a mile in 7 minutes or less, pushups, rope climbing, etc.

When my wife was about 7-8 months pregnant, she got on the pullup bar in the garage and was able to knock out 20 or so pullups. The was about 4 years ago and me and the now 16 year old were like then We couldnt believe it.

I think there should be a general baseline of physical fitness. I think EVERYONE should be able to do 25 pushups, 15 pullups, 50 situps and run a mile in 7 minutes. This isnt world class athleticism, its just general health/fitness.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I think there should be a general baseline of physical fitness. I think EVERYONE should be able to do 25 pushups, 15 pullups
15 pullups? Haha, that's asking a lot Lao.

I'd agree that pullups aren't great test of one's strength necessarily, but are a great test of one's overall fitness.

I have a close buddy who ran the full LA marathon this year without stopping, yet can't seem to do more than 1 pullup.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:38 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
women always have a tougher time with bodyweight exercises like pull ups and dips because they have a higher bodyfat % than men. i love seeing fat people step up to the pull up bar as if they are going to do a pull up. fat people rarely can do those exercises.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:22 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,386,514 times
I'm not knocking pull ups, but they are not an indication of any fitness, unless someone is cranking out hundreds of them. I remember a few agos CBS did a profile of tennis great Roger Federer and he couldn't do one pull up. And he's a world class athlete in superb shape.

There are millions of people who could do a few pull ups but who couldn't run a mile in 12 minutes even if they were being pulled by a rope behind a Chevy. Pull ups have almost no corrolation with cardio fitness. Most marathoners I know (especially females), couldn't do a pull up if you offered them $10,000. But most are in excellent shape.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:54 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,367,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I think there should be a general baseline of physical fitness. I think EVERYONE should be able to do 25 pushups, 15 pullups, 50 situps and run a mile in 7 minutes. This isnt world class athleticism, its just general health/fitness.
This isn't general health/fitness. That's asking a lot, plus those are skewed and unfair. I know people that can do 80 pushups, and no more than 10 pull ups. On the Marine PFT, 20 is perfect, so you expect people do be able to do 15 as "baseline"? Also, situps are generally 'harder' than pushups. So, it's unlikely that someone would be able to do more situps and pull ups, in general, than push ups.

A 7 minute mile? Most people can't even run a mile. A 7 minute mile is considered above average for most military PFT's. Most civilians couldn't pass a PFT if their life depended on it, and they are fairly easy.

Sorry Lao, the rest of the world can't be made in your image.

Caveat: Trying to guess a percentage from 240 million people is absurd, especially when you're basing it off nothing. . . maybe your 3-4 time gym visits to one gym in the entirety of the United States.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:59 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
I never could do pull ups .... not even when I was 20, weighed 170 lbs and played rugby competitively.

The rest I could do and more .... and can still even though I am in my 50s.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
fat people rarely can do those exercises.
This is not an anti fat people post in any way, but honestly when someone asks me what they can do to get rid of body fat (which is rare cause I’m not a trainer nor an expert), I tell them:

Perfect the exercises that fat people can’t and don’t do.

Fat people walk and/or jog...so that’s why you should SPRINT (uphill/inclined preferably). Fat people generally don’t get off the ground, so stuff like jump rope and plyo box jumps are your friend.

Fat people use machines like pull-downs and leg press because their bodyweight is taken out of the equation here (body fat can’t hinder your ability in these)…so that’s why you should do pull-ups and squats.

The logic is simple. Keep forcing these exercises on your body and your body will adjust to make you better at these exercises.

Obvious Disclaimer: This assumes diet is intact of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness