Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2012, 07:18 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiickled View Post
Thanks and yes I am in my 20s.I don't know personally people who are in their 30s so I cant comment about them
Most of my eat anything/always skinny friends are now paying attention to exercise and eating now (We are in our early 30s).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 06:53 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,130,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Exercise is 100% required for weight loss. Caloric restriction, eating well and balanced, and PLENTY of cardiovascular exercise is necessary to lose weight.

Remember humans were meant to move and exercise.

But just because you "don't have the energy" to exercise I bet you 100% you DO have the energy for it, you just haven't tapped into it. Here's what I mean.

Exercise takes up 30 minutes in a day. That's it. If you don't have 30 minutes in your day, your priorities are messed up. Period. I don't care what your job is, what your circumstances are, or what your schedule looks like. If you don't "have time" then make it by pushing other lower priorities out of the way. If you're obese you're gonna die early. Period.

Yes you will get tired. Yes you will have sore joints. And you probably will for a very, very long time (maybe 6 months) while working out. But you shouldn't see it as you "failing" but you should see it as getting your body back to a mode of exercising. I remember when I first started working out, after 3 months I wanted to quit because I HURT. But after 3 months, I started seeing results and the pain went away. Then I was able to distinguish between good and bad pain.

So push through that first six months. Walk 30 minutes a day while carrying light (~2-5 lb) weights. That's it. More is better, but that's a bare minimum.

The way I look at it is this: you have "immediate" energy and your body starts hurting / being tired after that. That is your body burning fat. Burn as much fat as you can in a day. Exercise till you get tired. Then work out some more.

And besides, a little pain and discomfort now is better than expensive pills, medical procedures, and early death, right?

Next, eat right. Ditch the candies. Ditch the potato chips. Ditch the soda. Ditch driving a mile when you can walk (remember humans used to, and still do in some areas of the world, walk dozens of miles DAILY, so 1 little mile should be nothing). Ditch sitting as much as possible and stand (better for your posture anyway).

Eat green leafy veggies, eat veggies with a little "meat" like bell peppers, make veggies the BASIS of your diet. Next, eat proteins extracted from tofu or fish over red meat, make that your SECONDARY basis. Chicken is also a great food. Cut back on the breads and pastas. Eat SPARINGLY (like 2 slices of bread a day) on your carbs.

You'll see the pounds melt away over time. But remember to keep at it or you'll be right back where you started.
I think there is one treat in moderation, say two to four squares a day, and that would be chocolate. I like Lindt at 70% cocoa.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:57 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,159,256 times
While fitness is important, diet is more than 65% of it ... If you make wise choices, and eat right you won't have to work as hard ...

Old 04-06-2012, 07:02 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,130,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Most of my eat anything/always skinny friends are now paying attention to exercise and eating now (We are in our early 30s).
I'll be sixty July and I'm still skinny. But I've started to watch my diet. Lots of things can cause inflammation.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:59 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
I'll be sixty July and I'm still skinny. But I've started to watch my diet. Lots of things can cause inflammation.
I think it is easier for men to stay "skinny" as they age.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:28 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,625,585 times
You want to know how I lost 40 pounds in less than five months? I used to be a chub until I left the fat state of TX and went to Boston, MA. I didn't have a car but Boston happens to be the most pedestrian city in the States next to NYC and San Francisco. I walked everywhere, literally everywhere. I walked at least 10 miles to school, the grocery store, the T train, the mall, all around campus, to the bar, to the cafe, etc. I didn't even diet all that much but still managed to lost a ton of weight.

I didn't even mean to lose a lot of weight either. It just happened. On top of it I drank a ton of Green tea and took a fish oil tablet everyday. Worked like a charm.

You want to lose weight in a healthy manner. Walk, at a brisk pace, not a slow grandma pace, I mean really walk and get your heart rate up for at least 5 miles a day and then go swimming for at least an hour. Do laps, do not just lay around.

The weight will shed and you won't have to starve yourself with too much dieting.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:46 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,836,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
You want to know how I lost 40 pounds in less than five months? I used to be a chub until I left the fat state of TX and went to Boston, MA. I didn't have a car but Boston happens to be the most pedestrian city in the States next to NYC and San Francisco. I walked everywhere, literally everywhere. I walked at least 10 miles to school, the grocery store, the T train, the mall, all around campus, to the bar, to the cafe, etc. I didn't even diet all that much but still managed to lost a ton of weight.

I didn't even mean to lose a lot of weight either. It just happened. On top of it I drank a ton of Green tea and took a fish oil tablet everyday. Worked like a charm.

You want to lose weight in a healthy manner. Walk, at a brisk pace, not a slow grandma pace, I mean really walk and get your heart rate up for at least 5 miles a day and then go swimming for at least an hour. Do laps, do not just lay around.

The weight will shed and you won't have to starve yourself with too much dieting.
You are saying the opposite of everyone on here.
(I did the same thing you did btw,I didn't change my diet too much either)
I agree with you.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:48 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,710,836 times
Quote:
Thanks guys but I am no longer moving, just cannot afford it. I have been exercising all this week and cutting back a lot on food. My goal is to lose 5lbs a month. My question is how come my skinny friends are able to eat whatever they want and never gain weight?

Count the calories the eat and burn. "Naturally skinny" just comes from "naturally skinny" habits. Metabolic advantage is rare and overblown in the media for the masses. Metabolic differences in healthy average individuals are only about 30%. Atkin's book covers metabolic problems though if you want to give it a read. When you gain a higher body fat it will make you more prone to gaining weight than a leaner (lower body fat) body of the same weight.

People that notice the age/weight gain issue are dealing with a higher body fat, less activity and accumulated calories through the years. Only when you hit the hormone changes of later in life would you experience metabolic slow down. You still won't be obese though if you balance your diet and activity level.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:20 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
My question is how come my skinny friends are able to eat whatever they want and never gain weight?
they arent, thats just something fat people like to believe so that they can believe weight loss is out of their hands. those skinny people are either exercising more and/or eating less than you are. they cant eat anything they want and never gain weight.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:25 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,817,540 times
Just be interested in life...be passionate...get hyper once in a while...that is all you need....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness