Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 10:51 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,640,926 times

Advertisements

Aye, aye, aye. Oh my lord.

I am so tired of my friends and family alike who want results, whether its losing weight or putting on muscle but rather try to find ways around doing all the hard work. For YEARS, my mother (who has been overweight) has been complaining about losing weight but never wants to put in the work. My grandmother, sister, uncle, cousin(s), aunt, two of my best friends and a few other good friends want to either lose weight or gain muscle but simply make all the excuses to workout or try to find loopholes to working for the results.

Here are examples:

Mother, sister, aunt, grandmother, mothers boyfriend, uncle: They ALL want to lose weight. However, once they don't see rapid weight loss from working out, they get discouraged-despite ALL the support and good knowledgeable I give to them-so instead they'll pop weight loss pills like like "Stacker 2's" and whatnot and expect the pills to work for them without working with the pills. Or they'll get colonics and spend money on things that are clearly not working for them.

The worst thing is when they want to lose weight but don't want to change their diet and wonder why they keep gaining weight.

Not to sound snobby but I understand that they aren't into fitness or athletics like myself but being related to them, I would think they would have an idea that I am doing SOMETHING right. God forbid I give them helpful criticism (never do I demoralize them) they sometimes take offense or even make more excuses for it.

My two best friends: Both of them want to gain weight and put on muscle. However, one is really skinny and underweight and wants to put on weight. The other one is a little chubby and flabby and wants to get solid and put on more muscle. We'll call them Skinny and Flabby.

Skinny goes to the gym MAYBE twice a year and when he does, he complains that he's lifting heavy weights. Since he's too lazy and uncommitted to hit the gym, he'll take weight gainers or whey proteins WITHOUT doing a proper workout of any kind then wonders why he isn't seeing results. Again, instead of working with the supplements, he expects the supplements to work for him.

Flabby is not as much as a lost cause as skinny because he's pretty active and does some martial arts but isn't very athletic. His goal is too burn his fat and build muscle but he has a crap diet and like Skinny, expects supplements to do the work for him. He's doing one thing by gaining weight but not doing it in the right way he. He'll eat a big meal and take supplements but makes every excuse to touch the weight or do any resistance exercises.

I don't know about anyone else, but I know I can't be the only that know people who do this type of stuff. Who constantly complain and moan about their physical state of being but just simply make excuses and want results without putting in all the hard work.

Share your thoughts, opinions, stories as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 01:26 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
most people dont really want to lose weight, they want to pretend they are trying to lose weight.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:41 PM

4,671 posts, read 4,984,341 times
People look for excuses not to live life to the fullest, and being fat is an excellent one. Once you actually get in shape, the next logical step is going out and doing stuff, not continuing to obsess over fitness. That sounds scary and abstract to people. Better to always have 25 pounds to lose and be constantly doing pointless things like switching from cereal to steel-cut oats and sugar to agave so you can, like CaptainNJ says, pretend you'll get there eventually.

Some people are fat because they need to create a war to put themselves in. Like any war, there can be a bit of a letdown if you actually win. Because then, what's next? Oh, that's one of those tough questions -- better to keep the war going indefinitely.

If you're one of these people, trust me, it's better to lose the damn weight. At the very least, it's more rewarding to see the looks of astonishment on people's faces when you've taken five inches off your waist than it is to see their programmed nods of approval when you talk about switching from white potatoes to sweet potatoes.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:17 PM

17,401 posts, read 16,547,378 times
I don't think I know of anyone who never works out, has a horrible diet and expects to have a lean, fit body regardless.

I do know of people who get frustrated with different diets and/or discouraged (maybe even injured) by their workout programs....they quit, regain. And then try something different. Sometimes it takes a few failed attempts to find out what works for you.

And then, there are the people who are just not that interested in even trying to improve their health. Maybe they're overwhelmed by aches, pains, health problems, other unrelated concerns? Apathetic? In denial? I don't know.

Last edited by springfieldva; 04-17-2012 at 02:35 PM..

Old 04-17-2012, 02:39 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,640,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
People look for excuses not to live life to the fullest, and being fat is an excellent one. Once you actually get in shape, the next logical step is going out and doing stuff, not continuing to obsess over fitness. That sounds scary and abstract to people. Better to always have 25 pounds to lose and be constantly doing pointless things like switching from cereal to steel-cut oats and sugar to agave so you can, like CaptainNJ says, pretend you'll get there eventually.

Some people are fat because they need to create a war to put themselves in. Like any war, there can be a bit of a letdown if you actually win. Because then, what's next? Oh, that's one of those tough questions -- better to keep the war going indefinitely.

If you're one of these people, trust me, it's better to lose the damn weight. At the very least, it's more rewarding to see the looks of astonishment on people's faces when you've taken five inches off your waist than it is to see their programmed nods of approval when you talk about switching from white potatoes to sweet potatoes.

The sentence highlighted cracked me up! I do this almost everyday with my mother

Old 04-17-2012, 02:44 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
The most successful people in this arena aren't the people who "want to lose weight," they're the people who truly WANT to change their lives...this means being not only willing to change their habits for the better (be they more fitness activities, revamping their eating/lifestyle) but being truly EXCITED about changing their habits for the better, versus approaching the changes with dread or trepidation or even resentment. You can't set out to lose weight. You have to set out with the mindset that you are changing your life. Weight loss will likely be one of the benefits.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:51 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
switching from cereal to steel-cut oats and sugar to agave so you can
its hilarious how people can take one product that has been marketed as healthy and pretend its so much healthier than a product that is almost exactly the same.

steel cut oats vs rolled oats
natural peanut butter vs regular peanut butter
white bread vs whole grain bread
things labeled as organic

im convinced these things hurt people's health because they consider their switch to organic to "at least be something" healthy and it allows them to eat more and not make other more significant changes. my mother hasnt lost any weight in many years but she eats natural peanut butter, drinks low sugar juice and buys organic granola bars instead of quaker granola bars.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:13 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
The most successful people in this arena aren't the people who "want to lose weight," they're the people who truly WANT to change their lives...this means being not only willing to change their habits for the better (be they more fitness activities, revamping their eating/lifestyle) but being truly EXCITED about changing their habits for the better, versus approaching the changes with dread or trepidation or even resentment. You can't set out to lose weight. You have to set out with the mindset that you are changing your life. Weight loss will likely be one of the benefits.
And for some people, their weight may hardly change. But they'll still be healthier than someone who isn't doing those things. The end goal should be to "get skinny" but to "be healthy."

Old 04-17-2012, 03:54 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
its hilarious how people can take one product that has been marketed as healthy and pretend its so much healthier than a product that is almost exactly the same.

steel cut oats vs rolled oats
natural peanut butter vs regular peanut butter
white bread vs whole grain bread
things labeled as organic

im convinced these things hurt people's health because they consider their switch to organic to "at least be something" healthy and it allows them to eat more and not make other more significant changes. my mother hasnt lost any weight in many years but she eats natural peanut butter, drinks low sugar juice and buys organic granola bars instead of quaker granola bars.
Reducing sugar intake certainly isn't hurting (in most cases), but it's not as if it's a cure-all, either. You can reduce sugar, but if you're upping fat, eating nutrient-empty (but sugar-free!!!) stuff, still taking in more calories than you expend, etc., it's not like you're going to be reaping tremendous health benefits just because you cut out some sugar...it has to be a wholistic approach...having a Diet Coke with your Big Mac and fries doesn't cancel out the Big Mac and fries, just because of the "look ma, no sugar," stance (obviously). Still, I can't tell somebody who is truly making major sugar cuts (as opposed to eating lots of sugar-free products in one area, but taking in a lot of sugars elsewhere that they don't realize they're taking in) that it's not probably a wise health choice.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:20 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,026,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
but being truly EXCITED about changing their habits for the better, versus approaching the changes with dread or trepidation or even resentment.
You make a great point with the word resentment. A lot people approach working out and eating healthy with resentment towards society or even the opposite sex. It's as if they feel that the world is forcing these habits down their throat, and they hate it. In most cases they're doomed to fail cause they don't enjoy the journey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness