Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 08:15 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times

Advertisements

My son is playing football and has to make weight. He started at 79 and hit the goal (75) about two weeks ago. They weighed in tonight and he's at 77 (ARGH). Since school started back we haven't been exercising as much as we did during the summer and they eat pizza, enchilads, spaghetti, lots of heavy food for lunch.

The menfolks in my life are telling me he can drop the 2pounds in water weight by 7:30 am Saturday if I do just raw fruits & veggies tomorrow, 64 oz of water and a lot of exercise. They also told me not to feed him breakfast until after weigh-in Saturday.

I know my son wants to play as this is the grand opening and he's been practicing hard so I'm sure he'll cooperate but I just wanna make sure its safe.

Either way we're going to make some more changes to his eating/exercise habits to make sure he maintains once we get him down but is it even possible to lose 2 pounds in 24 hours?

My son is six & 4"3. He's not really fat but he does have a belly.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 08:33 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Here's an excellent chance to teach your son not to be concerned with arbitrary BS standards imposed by the idiots in charge. If they don't want him on the team due to 2 pounds, tell them FU. And save your son from concussions, torn-up knees, etc.

Get him a dog instead and let them go running in the park.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Here's an excellent chance to teach your son not to be concerned with arbitrary BS standards imposed by the idiots in charge. If they don't want him on the team due to 2 pounds, tell them FU. And save your son from concussions, torn-up knees, etc.

Get him a dog instead and let them go running in the park.
Well he'll still be on the team he just can't play in the game until he makes weight.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:41 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Have him play soccer. I love football but six years old is way too young to be playing football. Eleven or 12 is the earliest that boys should start football. Playing soccer will give him more exercise and do more for his coordination than football.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Have him play soccer. I love football but six years old is way too young to be playing football. Eleven or 12 is the earliest that boys should start football. Playing soccer will give him more exercise and do more for his coordination than football.
We already paid the $200 registration so its too late to switch sports now

Old 08-16-2012, 09:43 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Let me see if I am understanding this correctly; your son is six years old, 4'3", and needs to cut two pounds to meet the maximum 75lbs weight limit for football?

Do not take this the wrong way, but I find this ridiculous. Instead of some quick cutting scheme, perhaps better dieting and more exercise as a lifestyle should be done. Your son obviously weighs too much for his age and height. Too much weight and playing sports is just looking for injuries; how about teach him (and probably your selves), good dieting and exercise? Your kid is not fat, but has a belly? Is this a joke or are you being this naive? Again, not to be rude or offensive, I just find it ridiculous that you are not seeking ways to get your kid's weight to healthy standards, just concerned about doing some lame scheme to get him to starve and dehydrate himself to make weight.

Yes, i cut weight, I do it to gain a competitive advantage in a weight class where I can leverage my strength better; athletes cut weight for classes, fat people go on diets and lose weight to be healthy and not run into weight related health problems.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:49 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
May as well start at a very young age to give him a complex over his weight, at least he is not a girl whom you would scar for life since he may actually grow up and get over it easier.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Let me see if I am understanding this correctly; your son is six years old, 4'3", and needs to cut two pounds to meet the maximum 75lbs weight limit for football?

Do not take this the wrong way, but I find this ridiculous. Instead of some quick cutting scheme, perhaps better dieting and more exercise as a lifestyle should be done. Your son obviously weighs too much for his age and height. Too much weight and playing sports is just looking for injuries; how about teach him (and probably your selves), good dieting and exercise? Your kid is not fat, but has a belly? Is this a joke or are you being this naive? Again, not to be rude or offensive, I just find it ridiculous that you are not seeking ways to get your kid's weight to healthy standards, just concerned about doing some lame scheme to get him to starve and dehydrate himself to make weight.

Yes, i cut weight, I do it to gain a competitive advantage in a weight class where I can leverage my strength better; athletes cut weight for classes, fat people go on diets and lose weight to be healthy and not run into weight related health problems.
Gee thanks for answering the question, as I had JUST stated we're going to make some changes to his life as far as exercise and eating, with the biggest change being school lunches. My son rides his bike to and from school, plays his wii for probably 30 minutes to an hour each day, plays outside as often as weather permits and then has football pratice 7.5 hours a week. And yes he's BIG for his age but he's not fat; but he does have a little belly. His doctor has told me his weight/height are in sync and (when we did his physical to get cleared to play) told me he didn't need to lose much weight. Problem is even though he's six, he's about the size of the 8 and 9 year old players.

So while we're aware (as I had JUST said in my op) that we need to either switch to him taking lunch to school or compensate school lunch by cutting other things at home, I just wanted to know if it was safe to let his dad do this water/raw veggies/exercise thing tomorrow. Its not a question of longterm yoyo dieting, as he orginally lost the weight due to activity and healthy eating but with him being at school most of the day now he's gained some weight back. He was also weighed in his practice pants and shoes, vs shorts and barefeet so I doubt he's gained back a full two pounds.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:47 PM

355 posts, read 1,115,668 times
No I for 1 seriously doubt you'll cause any harm to your son, especially if it will only be for a day or two.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:37 AM

This is a pic of my son & his teammates from last week

This is him & his classmates from may (last school yr)

So he's NOT a fat kid he's just bigger than everyone else his age. Most of his friends heads come to his shoulders. The only place he has visible fat is his stomach area (you can see it in the top picture) and even when he drops pounds his stomach is still round, which is why I said he has a belly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness