Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 05:22 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
By bulking up I mean bigger thicker muscles..not looking like Lou Ferrigno and adding 50 lbs of steroid induced mass.

I lot of people rave about the benefits of doing heavy squats, I'm just not completely sold. There are issues with loading up that much weight onto your spine.
They don't have to be heavy. But in any event, my favorite quote ever was I think Rippetoe. Squats are not bad for you. That thing you are doing that you are calling squats are bad for you. Form is really important. Anyway different strokes. I have squats and deads on my routine for today after my short run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 07:44 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
They don't have to be heavy. But in any event, my favorite quote ever was I think Rippetoe. Squats are not bad for you. That thing you are doing that you are calling squats are bad for you. Form is really important. Anyway different strokes. I have squats and deads on my routine for today after my short run.
A squat is commonly considered to be when you take a bareball and hold it across your rear shoulders. That is not "bad form", that is how you are supposed to do the exercise.

This act alone, when you start to load hundreds of pounds, can be detrimental to your spine. I'm sure there is some way to do squats that would more evenly distribute load onto your frame, but the traditional way is not one of them.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:31 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,369,154 times
Internet expert it is then.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:35 PM

Wutitz:

Running Times Magazine: Paula Radcliffe's Journey from Disappointing Fourth to Dominant First

Five Resistance Training Myths in the Running World by Eric Cressey

Old 09-10-2012, 08:56 PM

You all need to go squat.

Back to squatting after 2 month lay-off - YouTube

Old 09-11-2012, 11:46 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,307,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
Agree with doing sprint intervals...awesome.

THRUSTERS...I Deadlift, Squat,Snatch, Clean and Jerk, and do various ring, plyo, and kettlebell work but THRUSTERS have helped develop overall fitness for me hands down. High reps low weight, High weight, with burpees,with cleans (aka squat clean and press) its all good for strength and stamina.
I second the thrusters..hits the entire body. i like using a med ball.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:40 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Thanks, that was a nice article about Paula. And before I started reading RT, so I had never seen it. The other link was interesting too. I will definitely try to work in squats to my bag of tricks. I remember now reading an article by Pete Magill who said that one of the issues for older runners (that's me) is loss of muscle mass, which is best countered by resistance training.

Long May You Run | Running Times Magazine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magill

Sometimes running isn't enough. That's when we hit the weights.

"Regular running cannot prevent age-related loss of muscle mass and strength," says Hirofumi Tanaka, Ph.D., an exercise scientist at the University of Texas at Austin and co-author of a review of published studies on resistance training and endurance. "You have to perform strength training for that."

Of equal interest to runners, Tanaka found that resistance training increases both short-and long-term endurance, as well as improving lactate threshold. This makes resistance training an exception to the law of specificity, which requires that we recruit the same muscle fibers in training that we'll use in competition. Unlike other forms of cross-training, resistance training actually improves our running.

But hold your horses. This doesn't mean we should go all Arnold Schwarzenegger.

"I just go straightaway to strength training that mimics running," says Schwartz. "I do quarter squats [lowering to 45-degree angle], lunges, heel raises and hip extensions."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness