Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2009, 11:23 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,741,942 times

Advertisements

Folks I have a question.

I do at least 6000 metres on the indoor rower at a rate of 37 to 40 s/m every day.

Since I concentrate on other cardio equipment as well, I break this up into 2 parts of 3000 each, morning and evening.

At the end of each session my leg bones feel extremely worn out. Does anyone see eventual problems in excessive use of this particular machine?

During the day I don't feel any pain at all. Just at that end time it feels like my tibia is screaming in pain or about to crack.

Any long time indoor rowers here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 11:32 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,650,824 times
Rowing machines are great, but most have really unforgiving seats, which is why I use them in moderation. The other issue is that you're using muscles that you don't generally use in other forms of cardio. When I do the rower, not only is my back sore, but so is my butt and the area where my hamstrings meet my butt. But it's a good kind of soreness cause I know I'm working muscles that probably aren't as developed as they should be. If you're worried about the rower being hard on your body, don't use it too often and make sure to find a good one. Poor equipment is often what leads to injury. You could run a bad treadmill and ruin your knees or run on a good one and become a great runner.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:14 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,741,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Rowing machines are great, but most have really unforgiving seats, which is why I use them in moderation. The other issue is that you're using muscles that you don't generally use in other forms of cardio. When I do the rower, not only is my back sore, but so is my butt and the area where my hamstrings meet my butt. But it's a good kind of soreness cause I know I'm working muscles that probably aren't as developed as they should be. If you're worried about the rower being hard on your body, don't use it too often and make sure to find a good one. Poor equipment is often what leads to injury. You could run a bad treadmill and ruin your knees or run on a good one and become a great runner.
It's a great piece of equipment, I think no other equipment touches on the various parts of the body like this one does.

I have never had issues with my back or the seating, but the issue is the "strap" thing which fastens your leg to the pedal. The damn thing gets loose in just minutes and this is what take itself out on my tibia I guess.

Due to this, I break each 3000 into 3 parts. I rest a minute or two in between the 1000, I take a walk around the hall or go drink water

Old 07-26-2009, 06:07 PM

1 posts, read 17,514 times
Hi Antler,Im a long time rower and run an Indoor Rowing Centre in Melbourne, Australia..You have a few common issues with your rowing as mentioned....Your soreness is coming from strained ligaments in the front of your leg and is not actually your tibia as such and is quite painfull and easy to cure!To stop the straps coming loose and remove all pain from the front of your leg.....Slow the stroke rate down to 22-24, focus on keeping the legs relaxed when you roll forward (recovery) and push harded with the legs through the drive. It's the drive phase (pushing back) that needs to be aggressive and is where you work hard. The recovery phase (rolling forward) should be relaxed and slow, use your arms to extend the handle forward and follow by pulling your torso forward from your abdominals, then you simply unlock your knees and roll forward. NO PULLING with the feet. A good exercise is to row without your feet strapped in!! This prevents you from using your legs coming forward and teaches you to use your core!!Any questions, email me on [email]info@ergfit.com.au[/email]. Thanks, Scott

Old 07-27-2009, 01:58 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,236,754 times
I'm a long time indoor rower, I use the rowing machine twice a week as part of my overall routine.

I had developed pain in my knee area, just behind the kneecap, and found that moderating my routine fixed the issue. I was working too hard, trying to do too much.

I've been rowing for a little over 20 years now, starting with the old piston type of rowers. Now, I use a Concept 2, Model D air resistance rower. I set in on max resistance (has a setting of 1 through 10) and row 5,200-5,300 meters in a 30 minute period. Generally, this equates to just under 30 strokes a minute.

I do this exercise twice weekly, and I also use an exercise bike twice weekly. The other three days of the week are for weight lifting. All of my routines take under 40 minutes to complete.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:51 AM

3 posts, read 28,882 times
Default technique

You are doing too fast at 37 to 40 spm. That's why you are having pain. Be gentle and you'd still get result. I do 1 hour indoor rower daily at 24 to 27 spm at resistance level 10. I can't imagine doing 37 to 40 spm. I'd kill myself if I do that. Also rowing is so exhausting, fulfilling and overwhelming that a person after using it 1 hour has no energy or desire to use another cardio machine. You maybe putting way more stress on your body than it can handle if you use cardio machine after rowing.

Rowing is cardio too. You sweat buckets from the ab area and the entire body. Its very taxing on the body. You'd get great results. I quit using every other cardio machine and with rowing alone i lost 11 lbs. Also for your hands wear special rowing gloves to avoid calluses, blisters and tendinitis. Getagrip website has great ones.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:15 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,311,920 times
Haven't used one in years, but personally, I would like to add one to my routine again. Definitely a great cardio workout.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:18 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,873,351 times
My son ergs 2 times a day. Every day. Has for a couple of years. Plus he rows on the water three times a week. He has not had any problems, but it is nto super long term. He got a sore back once. And he lost 56 pounds if that is a problem. Since it is sitting in the middle of our parlor, I sit donw and pull it a few dozen times once in a while. I have seriously bad knees. At times I cannot make it up a staircase without a handrail to lean on. It does not hurt my knees at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness