Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2013, 12:51 AM

4,039 posts, read 3,791,691 times

Advertisements

I used to do Jillian Michaels ab workouts when I lived in a house with my parents because I could jump around. I moved out and now I'm above someone. It's an old building and I want to be conscious of other people in the building. I jog and sometimes go to spinning class, but I don't have a lot of money to get a gym membership. I've been watching what I eat too, but I was wondering if there are any free workout videos on YouTube I could use that wouldn't make a lot of floor noise that would target my abdominal area? I tried Pilates but it didn't feel right because I didn't sweat that much, maybe because there wasn't cardio involved, but since I jog every few days, that should get it in. I guess I haven't been too patient with Pilates. Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 10:24 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,844,291 times
I used to live in an upstairs apartment but I loved the Jane Fonda step videos (long time ago) and did them late morning. Of course I had a flexible schedule and a 2 year old. I think if you can do your exercises at a time when no one is home downstairs or when it wouldn't be an imposition like meal times or bedtimes it should be okay. Apartment living is give and take and residents should accommodate others within reason. It's not like you will be jumping up and down for hours.
That said there are lots of moves you can do to get killer abs without making any noise. The plank and all the variations you can do stemming from it are the BEST core exercises out there. If you invest in an exercise ball you can also do all kinds of moves that will strengthen your core. Push ups are great for overall upper body and core strength as well. Start with modified ones and work into the real deal. I am sure you can find all kinds of videos on Youtube.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:14 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,869,493 times
If you really, really want to do Pilates, I'd recommend doing a mat class with an instructor. Many noncertified "Pilates" instructors don't know what they are doing, so you can get hurt (it happened to me), so if you use online videos, make sure they are from a highly qualified studio, here's an example (this company teaches & certifies Pilates instructors) Podcasts for Enthusiasts | Podcasts | Community | Balanced Body

Just buy a thick exercise mat & put it in a carpeted area, and you should be fine doing core work at home. You may want to pick up some additional pieces of equipment to expand your routines...such as a swiss ball, a foam roller, a medicine ball, kettle balls (just don't drop them!)...things like that. See here for ideas: Accessories | Store | Balanced Body

Or....you can always do boot camp style exercises outside, in a park or really anywhere you have some grass.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:13 PM

149 posts, read 260,305 times
You can find workout videos on YouTube, by searching exercises or muscles groups. ZuzkaLight Youtube channel is one I like. The trainer makes a new workout video every week. The exercises can be done at home and most noise is from counting reps or sweat hard breathing LOL

Old 01-04-2013, 06:32 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,037,460 times
TaeBo, Slim in 6, yoga are all good and quiet workouts. When I say TaeBo, I mean the original TaeBo. I know there has been many more made but with the original it's a good workout and you don't need a lot of room and it doesn't make a lot of noise.

Last edited by carlitasway; 01-04-2013 at 06:48 AM..

Old 01-04-2013, 08:17 AM

632 posts, read 1,033,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asimegusta View Post
You can find workout videos on YouTube, by searching exercises or muscles groups. ZuzkaLight Youtube channel is one I like. The trainer makes a new workout video every week. The exercises can be done at home and most noise is from counting reps or sweat hard breathing LOL
Best post of the entire discussion.

You can find EVERYTHING on Youtube. There is no need to ever buy an exercise DVD again.

I HIGHLY recommend ZuzkaLight. Zuzana, the gal who does the workouts is somewhat of a celeb online and she does workouts that are very good and relatively easy for someone who is beginning. Not to mention that she is a beautiful girl with a body to die for.

The quality of her website is amazing and her workouts are great. Dont spend money on DVDs.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:45 AM

1 posts, read 4,874 times
take a look at sweatn.com

sweatn.com has tons a free exercise videos so you should be able to find a good workout

Last edited by jcruz2us; 01-06-2013 at 01:49 AM.. Reason: changed link

Old 01-06-2013, 08:01 AM

1 posts, read 4,904 times
Hi I just started a blog where I go through a fair amount of muscle group specific exercises in writing and in a video [url=http://www.ebirthingball.com/exercises-workouts]Exercises and Workouts - BIRTHING BALL[/url]. All you need for these is some kind of yoga or non-slip mat and a wall.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:39 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,172,708 times
I have been doing "Biggest Loser" power yoga. You can find it for around $8 on amazon. Have a set of light weights and a mat (if you want), and that's all you need.

It's an hour long and you will be SWEATING and sore the next day. Absolutely no jumping around. It's challenging if you really push yourself. I've been doing it a few weeks a few times a week and can already see the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness