Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 01:15 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,557,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
What's the point of threads asking what people have worn today or trends in nail color polish? If it's not remotely interesting to me I don't post.
I just don't see why someone would care what anyone else's BMI is, unless they just want to broadcast their own. Why not just ask all the fatties to please raise their hand?

It interested me enough to ask the question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 01:17 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,306,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
Why not just ask all the fatties to please raise their hand?
Seems like you're the one with the issue.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:22 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,557,967 times
Quote:
Seems like you're the one with the issue.
Nope, I'm just fine.

Old 10-31-2012, 05:37 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,909,858 times
BMI only works on people who don't exercise or have muscle mass. It doesn't account for muscles which are heavier than fat.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:30 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,508,595 times
The BMI applies to the average person who does not really workout and eats healthy.

Your BMI could be in the Overweight class and you could have like 10% Body Fat. What matters is Body Fat percentage.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:17 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,783,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
BMI only works on people who don't exercise or have muscle mass. It doesn't account for muscles which are heavier than fat.
It actually does account for muscle, just not an athletic amount. Running a few miles a week won't exempt you from the dreaded BMI. Being a professional athlete or bodybuilder will. You can also be muscly and have an unhealthy body fat percentage.

There are certainly people out there who can completely disregard their BMI because of the skeletal and muscular build, there are just more people who think they qualify for that than actually do.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:20 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
I have no idea and don't really care I am not morbidly obese like I used to be but I am not a really skinny girl either. I feel great, I look great (to me and my husband), I eat healthy, I move as often as I am physically able and my Doctor who treats my auto immune illness is quite happy with my current health and that is all that is important.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:31 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,846,198 times
Well obviously the "thinner" people posted their BMI's. Why wouldn't they, they don't have "bad" BMI's so they have nothing to be ashamed about. (in response to Ellemint).

I finally took the time to look up my BMI and the BMI pretty much says I'm overweight, which I already knew. I think it's accurate enough for me, according to the scale I need to lose 8 pounds before I am at a "normal" weight, and probably 2 extra to fit clothes properly. I've known that for a while. It's funny though, because everyone I know that knows I'm trying to lose weight, doesn't think I need to lose anymore at all. I've been told I'll "disappear" if I lose anymore weight, and that I look great being the way I am(I am in the south and a woman of color though--having a bigger butt and being thick is typically viewed favorably) etc. Losing the last 10 pounds of weight that I need would put at a "23" or "24" BMI and I would be a size 6. Which on me looks pretty "small"(not thin just very small). I can't imagine some of yall having "19" BMI's, that just seems so thin to me. The smallest/thinnest I have ever been was a size 4, and I thought that I needed to gain maybe 5 pounds or so because I didn't like how "thin" I looked, I can't imagine being super thin... Just doesn't seem like it would even look right on me.

In

Old 10-31-2012, 08:55 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,909,858 times
before I started jogging regularly and strength training I weighted 120, now I'm 135. I'm not a super trainer either. My lower body is more defined, that's the only change.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:54 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
20.4 currently. Has been as low as 17.2 and as high as 24.9 (borderline overweight).

I will admit that according to BMI I am way overweight. if you look at me tho, I look like I am a bit overweight, but not by much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness