Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 08:22 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times

Advertisements

Just an FYI: your house isn't going to burn down any slower just because someone is able to contact you to tell you that your house is burning down. I'm sure the planet will continue to spin just fine, without your cell phone. In fact, evolution itself occurred without cell phones.

Your patient who you performed heart surgery on? He's in the hospital, and there are other doctors there. If his life is THAT dependent on you being available 24/7, and he can't survive without you, personally, then don't go for a run, and just move a cot into his room.

You CAN leave the house once you get back home from your run, and grab that quart of milk.

Your son's scraped knee will continue to be scraped, so that you can kiss it all better, even if you don't know it's scraped until you get to him.

If you fall and sprain your ankle, I'm sure someone will be along sooner or later to help you out. And in fact, there'll be a stranger running toward you a lot sooner than it'll take for you to call someone at home, have them find a babysitter or arrange the kids into the minivan, drive around looking for you, find you, get out of the minivan, and approach you. In fact, by the time someone from home gets to you, it's entirely possible that a stranger who happens to be a nurse will already have treated the sprain.

If you just need to be able to get 911, get a LifeAlert and tape it to your chest while you run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 08:38 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,973,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
If you fall and sprain your ankle, I'm sure someone will be along sooner or later to help you out. And in fact, there'll be a stranger running toward you a lot sooner than it'll take for you to call someone at home, have them find a babysitter or arrange the kids into the minivan, drive around looking for you, find you, get out of the minivan, and approach you. In fact, by the time someone from home gets to you, it's entirely possible that a stranger who happens to be a nurse will already have treated the sprain.
I once sprained my ankle on an early morning run on trail that ran behind my house. It was a long walk off the trail and I passed absolutely no one and then I had to find a store that was open and beg to use their phone to call my roommate (thank god I actually remembered the number) to come get me. I wish I had my cell phone with me that day.

And what exactly is a nurse going to do for a sprained ankle in the middle of the woods? I'm doubting she keeps an ace bandage on her at all times.

Just because you have a phone on you doesn't mean you are talking on it. A phone provides an additional level of security and if someone more comfortable running with one they should absolutely do so. No one is telling you to run with a cell phone.

Last edited by beth98; 12-04-2012 at 09:35 AM..

Old 12-04-2012, 09:05 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,232,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
The only way a cell phone will help you in a life threatening emergency is if you hit your attacker with it.

If you are being attacked, what good will calling the cops do? Your still being attacked till the cops get there!
Sure, if you come across someone having a heart attack, you could call for help. It's very rare I see any pedestrians at all when I run.
Sure, if you hurt yourself, you could call for a ride. You don't need instant access for that. Nathan and a couple others make a water bottle holder with an iphone-sized sleeve.
I disagree in part. I agree that you still have to avoid or fight off the attacker until the cops arrive. However, I have personally seen attackers run off when they realized you were on the cell phone.

Several years ago I witnessed 2 grown men mugging a teenager. I stopped my car in the middle of a busy residential street and pulled up one of those fake cell phones that had candy in it. Within 10 secs 3 more cars had stopped behind me and were honking. They looked over and ran off.

Nowadays I have a real cell phone and carry it with me almost all the time. I don't talk and drive. Heck I can't even talk on it while riding a bike. But it is handy both in an emergency and for more mundane purposes.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:48 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,636,137 times
You guys are negative nancies! just because you can think of situations in which a cell phone may not seem helpful doesn't mean that's the only situation that can occur. I've been out on a run in where I was glad I had my cell. Sometimes you can run away and call someone and get help just in time. At other times just seeing you on your phone can scare people off. Don't knitpick at someone's question, just answer it!

Old 12-04-2012, 03:04 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
After you have shot the would-be rapist/mugger with your Kel tec P3AT, you still need a cell phone to contact the county to come pick up the body.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:47 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
Arm band is nice - I assume by big rectangular phone you mean a "smart phone"

If so, an arm band still gives you pretty good access - I just bought one and they do a nice job protecting the phone, also since smart phones are operated by touch it's very easy to just look at your arm and swipe yourself some quick access

the main thing I like about taking my phone with running is the map my run app - keeps track of route, time and a whole bunch of other things .... also keeps a record of your training so you can benchmark progress, etc

regardless of the reason for carrying your phone, do what feels right to you

Old 12-04-2012, 07:51 PM

I think you should just have your secretary do your running for you, so that you can keep your phone on the desk where it belongs.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:13 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
Quote:
I think
That is your problem, right there ..... I found it while browsing on my phone, watching a program on my DVR after finishing a little run ...... You can thank me later

Old 12-05-2012, 05:24 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,166,650 times
Quote:

Your patient who you performed heart surgery on? He's in the hospital, and there are other doctors there. If his life is THAT dependent on you being available 24/7, and he can't survive without you, personally, then don't go for a run, and just move a cot into his room.
My boyfriend is a practitioner who frequently works on call. He must answer his phone, just like the cardiologist needs to pick up his when my boyfriend has a question. Bad things really might happen if you don't answer. If your patient was entering a life threatening status, you'd bet that the surgeon would go into work, especially if he was on call. Nobody knows you better than your doctor.

It also seems you're missing the point of the thread, at least from what the OP stated. Running alone as a female who also lives alone, you bet I carry my cell phone. My father or boyfriend tell me to text them/call them if I take a detour, my boyfriend knows my approximate running times. Other than that, I am not on my cell phone.

And I live STATES away from these people, not just down the road. So I completely understand.

I think being distracted by your phone when running is silly, but I also turn my music off if it's starting to get dark and I run alone. As long as the OP is being smart in that sense I see no reason why they shouldn't bring their cell phone.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:29 AM

I don't own a cell phone. I used to live in the city, and I used to walk to the Store24 in the middle of the night, alone, to get munchies for the dorm-mates during mid-term week. I didn't have a cell phone then, either; they weren't invented yet. I also had to walk to work, when I was a concession clerk for the Rocky Horror Picture Show weekly Friday night showing at the movie theatre five blocks away, when I lived in the same dorm, during college. And walk home, after the movie was over. Not once, in the entirety of my college years living in a city and walking around alone at night, did I have, or miss, a cell phone. Oddly enough, most people managed to get along just fine without them too. I didn't even have a beeper back when those were popular. I found them intrusive. I find cell phones intrusive. I wish they were never invented, and I really wish they'd return pay phone booths.

If your patient is in a hospital, then he's already where he needs to be. He's surrounded by doctors. One of them, I'm sure, will have the qualifications to maintain him until you check in. Just like patients worldwide managed, before cell phones were invented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness