Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 12:19 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,988,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackGoldPride View Post
I went to my gym today (local Y) after not going for a couple of weeks due to training for a new job plus generally wanting to avoid the crowds. Now that my training is over and I'm on my normal work schedule (I work second shift/evenings for the most part), I decided to go, hoping that the resolutioners would be gone.

Well, I went and pretty much every elliptical, treadmill, bike and even the two stair climbers were taken. I couldn't even get a hanger for my coat and sweatshirt. Not to mention the girl I saw on the way out who was talking on her phone while using the treadmill and the girl on the Arc Trainer next to me who had a chit chat session as well.

Tomorrow is my favorite day of the week to go to Zumba and I am dreading it. When I went a couple weeks ago, the girl in front of me had no concept of personal space and was nearly stepping on me, not even apologizing.

I started working out in May so I don't see why everyone has to wait until January to do something about their weight/health.
I didn't realize that one had to build up seniority at the gym prior to using the ellipticals, treadmills and bikes. I wonder if they realize that the equipment is only for people that have been going since last May.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 12:24 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,624 times
Now is a good time to get out of an exercise rut. If you usually use the treadmill or elliptical you could try using the rowing machine instead.

I switched to a workout using strictly dumbbells for the same reason. I like to see this as an opportunity to get creative.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:23 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
To be honest, you guys are a bunch of arrogant, elitist snobs. This is why I have a personal trainer come to my home, so I don't have to deal with some anal-retentive fussbudget who doesn't approve of the way I exercise.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:26 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,610,796 times
Count me in as a New Years Resolution gym goer.

However I didn't start going because of a resolution. I started going because 2 weeks ago I was diagnosed with a disease that can be reversed if I started working out again. So the timing just happened to coincide with New Years by pure coincidence. Bear in mind I already had a gym membership since May, but that particular gym is not convenient to my house, and I have been working from home since August.

I never had a problem with the New Years resolution rush crowd. I know it always dies down shortly after Valentine's Day when people think they can get instant results in a few weeks. So quit complaining, it's usually the regulars that are grunting all the time.

I swear if half the people on this forum worried more about their own workout and less about what others are doing in the gym, we would see a lot less complaints.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:11 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
24 Hour Fitness gets ridiculous in January and February, but I joined a new gym this week and it's not crowded at all; if there are resolutioners there, they certainly aren't intruding on my space.

Resolutioners can be annoying, but you just have to cope with it for a few weeks at the beginning of the year. Most of them give up on it after 4-5 weeks, and even a lot of the die-hards have dropped off by March.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:13 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,556,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
Count me in as a New Years Resolution gym goer.

However I didn't start going because of a resolution. I started going because 2 weeks ago I was diagnosed with a disease that can be reversed if I started working out again. So the timing just happened to coincide with New Years by pure coincidence. Bear in mind I already had a gym membership since May, but that particular gym is not convenient to my house, and I have been working from home since August.

I never had a problem with the New Years resolution rush crowd. I know it always dies down shortly after Valentine's Day when people think they can get instant results in a few weeks. So quit complaining, it's usually the regulars that are grunting all the time.

I swear if half the people on this forum worried more about their own workout and less about what others are doing in the gym, we would see a lot less complaints.
No kidding. I joined the Y this week because they have the classes I want. I don't consider myself a Resolutioner. I have been working at it for the last year and have lost 50 pounds. There were some changes at the place I was taking classes and it is no longer worth the money for me to go there, so I went with a family membership at the Y. I guess I don't really care if the regulars are annoyed or think I am one of the "idiots" who will quit in a few weeks. I am there now. Deal with it!

Old 01-25-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
No kidding. I joined the Y this week because they have the classes I want. I don't consider myself a Resolutioner. I have been working at it for the last year and have lost 50 pounds. There were some changes at the place I was taking classes and it is no longer worth the money for me to go there, so I went with a family membership at the Y. I guess I don't really care if the regulars are annoyed or think I am one of the "idiots" who will quit in a few weeks. I am there now. Deal with it!
I don't have a problem with resolutioners per se; I just don't like crowds. None of us were born going to the gym; we were all newbies at one point just like a lot of the resolutioners are.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:30 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,556,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I don't have a problem with resolutioners per se; I just don't like crowds. None of us were born going to the gym; we were all newbies at one point just like a lot of the resolutioners are.
I don't care for crowds either, and I actually don't care for "the gym." LOL When I have belonged to gyms in the past, I have always gone late in the day to avoid the after work crowd. That's what I am doing now, and I mostly plan to go for classes anyway.

Everyone has to start somewhere. Just because I had my "epiphany" about my weight and health in Feb/March last year doesn't make me better than someone who had theirs two weeks ago. My Weight Watcher meetings are also crowded right now, but I know they will thin out in the next month or two. My success does not depend on others sticking with their programs or exercise routines, so I really don't care who sticks around and who quits. I focus on myself.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
I don't care for crowds either, and I actually don't care for "the gym." LOL When I have belonged to gyms in the past, I have always gone late in the day to avoid the after work crowd. That's what I am doing now, and I mostly plan to go for classes anyway.

Everyone has to start somewhere. Just because I had my "epiphany" about my weight and health in Feb/March last year doesn't make me better than someone who had theirs two weeks ago. My Weight Watcher meetings are also crowded right now, but I know they will thin out in the next month or two. My success does not depend on others sticking with their programs or exercise routines, so I really don't care who sticks around and who quits. I focus on myself.
Exactly. So do I! Though it's easier to focus on your own workout when you don't have to wait for a machine or are elbow-to-elbow in a crowded group fitness class.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:52 PM

11 posts, read 18,009 times
This thread title is hilarious
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness