Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 08:42 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,908,318 times

Advertisements

I'm 135 pounds/24 years old (I was 121lbs, 20 years old before I started running and strength training)

I'm 5'4"

My measurements are 36-28-39

Am I fit?

I could have sworn my legs are mostly muscle but now I'm noticing cellulite on my upper quads and lower area of my bum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 10:16 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,485,386 times
Healthy is relative. How fit are you? How is your blood work? Diabetic? Asthma? BF%? How is your hair, skin and nails? Can you carry a gallon of milk with ease? Can you walk several stories up steps?

Measurements can tell a degree of healthiness and I would say based on that you sound fine. To put into perspective, Amy Winehouse was thin, but not healthy. To the other extreme, Harumfuji Kohei is a Sumo 6'1, 290lbs, and is relatively healthy. Now if he leads this lifestyle after retirement, he will be miserable and in bad health.
If you do not know him here is a wiki link (Harumafuji K).

Old 01-12-2013, 11:12 PM

632 posts, read 1,030,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I'm 135 pounds/24 years old (I was 121lbs, 20 years old before I started running and strength training)

I'm 5'4"

Am I fit?

I could have sworn my legs are mostly muscle but now I'm noticing cellulite on my upper quads and lower area of my bum.
Impossible to tell if you are healthy OR fit with just your weight and measurements.

Are you FIT?:
Can you run a mile? If so, what is your time? Can you run 5k? What's your time? How many pushups can you do? How many pullups? Can you touch your toes? Can you put your palms flat on the ground while keeping your legs straight? Can you squat your body weight? Can you deadlift you body weighit?

Are you healthy?:
Only a doctor can tell you this, not strangers like us on the internet. Do you eat healthy? Do you smoke? Do you get at least 45-60 minutes of moderate to intense exercise per day? Are you taking any meds?

You say you started running and strength training 3-4 years ago, so you should have somewhat of an idea of how fit your are. How often do you run? Do you time your runs? What is your strength training routine?

Old 01-13-2013, 02:16 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:

I'm 5'4"

Am I fit?

id say you were fit.... ever been to Maine?

Old 01-13-2013, 10:40 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
Quote:

I'm 5'4"

Am I fit?

So basically what you really want to know is where that lumpy crap came from and this has very little to do with being fit?(jk)

;P

Those measurements do nothing for helping figure out body fat measurement calculations. And even then its only part of it.

Check your body fat. Is your body fat high? What was your body fat before the lumps? What is it now?

Also as skin ages, your diet, drinking, smoking and birth control (hormonal) can make cellulite pop up.

You can't stop age but the other things can be adjusted or eliminated.
__________________________________________________ ______________________

If I was you I would be working on starting losing body fat and see what happens.
I would also be looking at how the dietary quality is hardcore.

Do some fitness tests like already posted if you want to know if you are fit. Or go to a doctor and dietitian to review stats and dietary intake.

If you want vanity fitness advice...I would do a little shrinking/body fat reduction based on your dislike of the appearance of your cellulite. Its not exactly like you are dangerously thin or anything. You would have to lose 25+ lbs to get there. Check your body fat first though. The 25# is pulled from BMI charts and could be slightly less or more depending on your personal body fat level.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:06 PM

61,723 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
id say you were fit.... ever been to Maine?
Huh??

Old 01-13-2013, 12:23 PM

632 posts, read 1,030,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Huh??
LOL. Sales pitch. He's a real estate guy from Maine.

Can I talk to you about saving for retirement or opening a brokerage account?

Financial Services sales guy.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:02 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,908,318 times
Yea, I guess I want to know if I'm considered chubby. I was on the pill for about a year and got a little bigger all over. I used to be a size 2.

Also, I'm pissed about my ass and upper hamstring lumps. I just got back from a 4 mile run. I run 10 minute miles and usually run for 3 or 4 miles twice a week.

Also I have muffin top. I'm too small for muffin top. Its like I have weird hips or something. I actually have great hourglass hips but then I have love handles even though my tummy is almost flat.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:42 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
Quote:

I'm 5'4"

Am I fit?

I think you are overweight. I'd be more interested in what's going on inside and what you feed your body, than your exterior.
What goes in, must come out, so what are you feeding that machine?

Old 01-13-2013, 09:06 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:

I'm 5'4"

Am I fit?

You've gained 14 pounds in 4 years while running 6-8 miles a week and strength training. You may have added some muscle but it sounds like it is mostly fat. Think about where you will be in the future if you continue to gain 11 pounds every 4 years. It sounds like you need to watch your diet more carefully. The running is good but I would try to add at least one more day of running even if you do it on a treadmill. Listen to some of the advice on here about exercises like squats. Squats and diet will address you concerns more than anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness