Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 02:53 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,786,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
That is not very good advice. ANY exercise is better than no exercise.
no, it isnt. sure, it is if you dont really care about achieving anything and just want to go through some motions so you can say "i tried." but in reality, any exercise isnt better than no exercise. first, you establish a diet that will get you to where you want to be and that you can actually stick with long term. if you dont do that first, then exercising is worthless because you clearly arent willing to take physical fitness seriously. the OP would walk 3mph on a treadmill for 30 minutes and then reward himself after with more additional calories than he burned walking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 09:56 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,900,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I have skimmed through several of your posts, and think you are simply looking for any excuses NOT to exercise. Or, looking into some cheapo wonder machine, that you can put into your place, and it will do the magic.
Well, here's the wisdom: IT DOES NOT HAPPEN THAT WAY. Like a great chairman Mao said, in order to learn how to swim, you have to swim. So, like others told you - tough, get out and walk fast. Use your body weight and you can do plenty with just that metal thing you hang on the door, whatever the name is. But DO it, instead of coming up with continuous "I do not want to do this, or that". Don't be like my wife, that has full membership paid for at LAF, one mile away, always "wants" to go there, always has "good cause" not to, and goes there 3-5 times a year. Better off, will NOT allow to cancel it, and costs family budget $360 a year money spent on nothing.
No, not looking for excuses not to exercise, and am not looking for a magic machine. In fact at this point, I doubt that I'll buy anything that falls into the machine category.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
I'd recommend a dumbbell set and resistance bands.

The dumbbell set will allow you to do many exercises. You can find used sets on Craigslist or a used sporting goods store like Play It Again Sports. Do not buy the vinyl covered weights. These are usually filled with concrete and tend to break over time. Solid steel plates will last a lifetime. A 90 lb set should be all you need. A straight 5' barbell can be added for even more options.

Resistance bands are great for low impact, high rep exercises. You can start with low resistance bands and work up to the heavier resistance bands. They travel easy too so you can take them with you if you go out of town or if you want to exercise outside in the fresh air.
I found a resistance band program in a magazine, and have ordered a resistance band. I'd never heard that before about the vinyl weights.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
The only reason I can think of as for why you couldn't run outside is if there is snow on the ground - the cold by itself shouldn't be a problem if you layer your clothing properly - even at 1 degree F.

If snow is the issue and you are considering buying machines, how about instead purchasing a pair of cross country skis and use the snow to your advantage?
Well given the fact that school has been delayed/cancelled recently due to the extreme cold, I'm not the only one that is averse to being out and about in very cold weather.

On those sorts of days when it is not only very cold, and the windchill is bad, you don't see the neighborhood exericise junkies out and about.

Part of the point of this thread is to have a better plan in place for the times I can't exercise outdoors.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
p90x is not hardcore. As someone with a crappy wrist and knees, I can tell you that the modified movements (which they show you how to do) are still good.
Thanks for the info about modified movements....that is just the sort of information I am looking for.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:07 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,706,452 times
How long is your house? I walk briskly back and forth for an hour a day in my house when it is too cold to walk outside. I have done this in winter for years. I even have a treadmill, but prefer walking the house. You might get bored, but I use it as thinking time.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcdguy View Post
How long is your house? I walk briskly back and forth for an hour a day in my house when it is too cold to walk outside. I have done this in winter for years. I even have a treadmill, but prefer walking the house. You might get bored, but I use it as thinking time.
Not too long. If I incorporated walking up and down the stairs though with walking in the house, it would be a doable "walk".

Old 02-04-2013, 02:01 PM

1,320 posts, read 3,706,452 times
If your leg and knees could take it, might even help. But whatever you do, start slowly. Walking around your house will certainly not be as good as a treadmill or walking outside, but it is WAY better than nothing. Also if you have a mall nearby, you could put in a good walk a couple times a week. I started my "walkabouts" at 10-15 minutes, and slowly expanded to an hour. YOU DO NOT NEED a gym membership or costly equipment to stay in shape. Housewives years ago, and some today, got exercise from cleaning, lugging around heavy laundry and vacuum cleaners. And farmers got exercise in the fields.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:03 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,725,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
no, it isnt. sure, it is if you dont really care about achieving anything and just want to go through some motions so you can say "i tried." but in reality, any exercise isnt better than no exercise. first, you establish a diet that will get you to where you want to be and that you can actually stick with long term. if you dont do that first, then exercising is worthless because you clearly arent willing to take physical fitness seriously. the OP would walk 3mph on a treadmill for 30 minutes and then reward himself after with more additional calories than he burned walking.

Well I am a bit more positive minded and know most have to fall down a few times before they can stand up.

Some exercise is better than no exercise for sure. Trying different ways to be fit is how you find your natural love of being active enough to be healthy. You don't have to be serious to be healthy. It can be fun and easy if you keep trying healthy habits and just building up a collection of them you LIKE to do. The problem isnt the trying a little exercise. The problem is if you only try a couple and give up. Giving up is the problem. Dabbling is just dapper.

Like what you do...you will always do it.

As far as diet, you just have to know how to not overeat for your activity level and ensure you get what your body needs nutritionally.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:38 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,786,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Well I am a bit more positive minded and know most have to fall down a few times before they can stand up.

Some exercise is better than no exercise for sure. Trying different ways to be fit is how you find your natural love of being active enough to be healthy. You don't have to be serious to be healthy. It can be fun and easy if you keep trying healthy habits and just building up a collection of them you LIKE to do. The problem isnt the trying a little exercise. The problem is if you only try a couple and give up. Giving up is the problem. Dabbling is just dapper.

Like what you do...you will always do it.

As far as diet, you just have to know how to not overeat for your activity level and ensure you get what your body needs nutritionally.
the only way some exercise is better than no exercise is if you eliminate the realities of human beings and what happens when they do "some exercise." the reason most people in the gym dont lose any weight is that they compensate for any exercise with more calories. most people in the gym arent losing any weight. they need to establish a diet before they can expect to get anywhere.

i have been going to the gym 5+ days a week for about 12 years now. i do not like it. but i am committed to not being a fat slob and to looking better shirtless than most people. so i go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness