Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 08:41 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I think it depends. I think women who are overweight become more invisible than the equivalent men do. I also think men have more of an opportunity to be judge on something other than their size than women do. Or have an opportunity to have a multi-faceted persona.
I'm speaking in terms of dating, not entertainment.
Quote:
Let's compare the comments about someone like Melissa McCarthy vs Jack Black.

Every article about McCarthy seems to want to make her weight/appearance relevant to the movie. And for Jack Black, they focus on whether or not he is funny.
I actually saw a review of McCarthy's last movie that talked about her weight and how she brandishhed it during the comedic scenes, but also said she had a beautiful face. Never seen that type of assessment thrown at a male actor. Of course, most critics are males, but never seen any female critic ever call an overweight actor appealing physically or facially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 10:12 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,898,714 times
In respect to OP, and the pictures the way celebs are expected to dress puts different sorts of pressure on them. A taller guy can disguise 25 pounds under a tuxedo pretty easily. A woman has a more difficult time with the sort of attire that she'd be expected to wear at an awards show....often strapless or form fitting, those sorts of dresses aren't very forgiving.

But in general I'm not sure that is more acceptable for either to be overweight. I'd hate to be a very overweight guy in swim trunks. I think each gender has their own challenges in this respect.

My dad was quite tall, and had periods where he was overweight, sometimes just a little, sometimes more. He already had a large frame, and a few extra pounds, he was just perceived as a "big guy", which he was. Put those same amount of extra pounds on my mom...a completely different effect.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:18 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_s View Post
I have had this experience myself. My soon-to-be-ex was morbidly obese yet still insulting my appearance on a regular basis, as well as the appearance of random women out and about, while he was binging and getting ready to have gastric bypass surgery. He would always say, "I'm big but I'm not that fat." It was maddening.
it is funny how a lot of fat people see themselves as "not that fat." its a defense mechanism that allows them to live with themselves as they are.

i think its unacceptable for both genders to be fat but women probably get more abuse for it overall. but if you are a fat guy and you get into an argument with someone, the first thing that will come out of that person's mouth is "you fat x x x x"

Old 02-20-2013, 10:31 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,898,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post

Personally, I like thin women -- sizes 2 to 4. I can find a size 6 attractive, but that's starting to get a bit chunky for my tastes. Women, people don't lynch me. I know these are very strict standards, but I'm being honest here. Thin and svelte with no lumps is what I like. I'll say this for myself, I keep myself in very good shape. I keep my body fat percentage around 10 percent and work out 6 to 7 times a week. I'd imagine that a healthy size 8 and up would have no interest in dating me because she'd think I would be too judgemental about her diet and exercise regimen. She'd be right. I don't want to be a fitness nag, so I have no interest in women who don't have high fitness standards.
A woman can be thin without being a size 2 to 4. That is an odd statement to make without referencing frame size or height. I could never get into a size 6 no matter what I weighed because it wouldn't fit my shoulders or bust, especially if it was something very fitted like a tailored dress, pea coat or blazer.

It is sort of like what you said in your earlier post about your waist size....you wouldn't expect a man much taller than you to conform to the same waist size. Even waist size in a man is dependent on hip/frame size.

A funny thing I notice about my kids's clothes. If you brought a tshirt in size 2-4..a small or extra small for a woman....it is really not cut that much differently in terms of the amount of fabric than a tshirt I'd buy for my ten year old son. If I'm ten inches taller than my son...why would I be expected to fit into the same size tshirt he does?

Old 02-20-2013, 10:34 AM

2,222 posts, read 3,601,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I think it depends. I think women who are overweight become more invisible than the equivalent men do. I also think men have more of an opportunity to be judge on something other than their size than women do. Or have an opportunity to have a multi-faceted persona.

Let's compare the comments about someone like Melissa McCarthy vs Jack Black.

Every article about McCarthy seems to want to make her weight/appearance relevant to the movie. And for Jack Black, they focus on whether or not he is funny.
Well actually, since you mention Jack Black, I heard recently that he's felt pressure to lose weight, as he's been told by casting people that he's too fat for several roles.

Quote:
I cannot tell you how many overweight women I have encountered who snub overweight men and then get dismayed when "thin" or "fit" men don't want them.
Interesting that you say that, as I've noticed it a bit myself, especially ones from more affluent backgrounds.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:39 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,730,092 times
From the vantage point of the human body, it is not acceptable (or safe!) for neither men or women to be overweight. We need to put the sexist/gender issue aside and look at this one simple question:

Is being overweight good (acceptable) for MY body?

Old 02-20-2013, 02:07 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
Well actually, since you mention Jack Black, I heard recently that he's felt pressure to lose weight, as he's been told by casting people that he's too fat for several roles.
That is definitely new! Think about all of those starts in the 80s/90s/2000s that were cleaning up in the movies. Hollywood is definitely a special place. But it is very representative of how the general public feels about things. LArgely, being an overweight (or older woman) makes you become invisible. With a couple of exceptions here or there.

There are definitely more opportunities for overweight guys to get different types of roles, but for women there is a limit on who/types you get to play.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:18 PM

632 posts, read 1,030,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
it is funny how a lot of fat people see themselves as "not that fat." its a defense mechanism that allows them to live with themselves as they are.

i think its unacceptable for both genders to be fat but women probably get more abuse for it overall. but if you are a fat guy and you get into an argument with someone, the first thing that will come out of that person's mouth is "you fat x x x x"
Man, everything you say is so true. Rep points are in order.

The wife and I are "upgrading" our life insurance, so just this morning a person came out to do physical and when the wife stepped on the scale and it read 119 pounds at 5' 2" tall she gave me high five and said "Thats right!!"

Old 02-20-2013, 02:23 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,025,477 times
Ladies, you need to look at the issue at hand and ask yourselves who is doing the "accepting" here...it's you. You accept fat men by saying things like "I love a big man with extra meat on his bones" or something along those lines. Most women still find the "bigger" guy more masculine, and therefore go for the bigger guy.

As a lean, fit guy on the skinnier side, I wish women WOULD be less accepting of overweight men, but it is what it is. Like others have said, I think it's pretty unacceptable for both genders, pretty much equally.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:52 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
Ladies, you need to look at the issue at hand and ask yourselves who is doing the "accepting" here...it's you. You accept fat men by saying things like "I love a big man with extra meat on his bones" or something along those lines. Most women still find the "bigger" guy more masculine, and therefore go for the bigger guy.
Sometimes that is true, but it depends on the fitness level of the big guy. When I was a fat gym rat I did much better with women than when I was less bulky but still tubby.
Quote:

As a lean, fit guy on the skinnier side, I wish women WOULD be less accepting of overweight men, but it is what it is. Like others have said, I think it's pretty unacceptable for both genders, pretty much equally.

I'm on the other side of that spectrum from you, and I wish women would be MORE accepting of overweight men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness