Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 02:30 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,099,146 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've run off and on the past few years, I wouldn't say I'm a runner because I'm not consistent. Well, latetly I've been doing a better job at becoming a runner and was running several times a week. Last weekend I went to run trails in a local park with my dog and got home to horrible pain in my left calf (on the inside part closer to the front of the leg). I iced my leg and didn't think much of it. I ran again on Sunday and Monday. By Monday night I was in a lot of pain and have since been using the elliptical at the gym since it doesn't put so much pressure on my legs.
My question is, how do I get this pain to go away and what could have caused it? Do I need new running shoes (I did wear pretty old ones because it was kind of a muddy day)?

I have a 10K in a month and don't want to injure myself but I need to keep training. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 02:39 PM

632 posts, read 1,030,863 times
Old (and/or cheap) shoes is pretty much a guarantee that you'll develop some shin problems.

I've been running all my life and have never had any shin injuries. I owe this to always and I mean ALWAYS running in good quality shoes and NEVER running in them when they are past their prime.

First, go see a doctor about your shin pain, then buy yourself some new dedicated running shoes.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:41 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,713,966 times
Stop using it for anything and go to the doctors before it becomes a permanent problem. The pain should not be lasting that long if it was nothing. Does it still hurt? Have you tried and epsom salt soak? I really would go to the doctor though. Don't mess around if that 10K is your goal.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:08 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,099,146 times
Ok I will definitely call my doctor first thing tomorrow. Yes it is still bothering me. I'm definitely scared to run in those shoes. I guess, their time is up.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:36 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
Hi all,

I've run off and on the past few years, I wouldn't say I'm a runner because I'm not consistent. Well, latetly I've been doing a better job at becoming a runner and was running several times a week. Last weekend I went to run trails in a local park with my dog and got home to horrible pain in my left calf (on the inside part closer to the front of the leg). I iced my leg and didn't think much of it. I ran again on Sunday and Monday. By Monday night I was in a lot of pain and have since been using the elliptical at the gym since it doesn't put so much pressure on my legs.
My question is, how do I get this pain to go away and what could have caused it? Do I need new running shoes (I did wear pretty old ones because it was kind of a muddy day)?

I have a 10K in a month and don't want to injure myself but I need to keep training. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
You describe the pain as being in your left calf. Shin splits will not be in the calf muscle but is bruising on the inner part of the tibia.

People get shin splints for a variety of reasons. The main reason is due to shoes. You need to buy shoes that handle you form of pronation. The best way to do that is to go to a running shoe store where they analyze your running. You are more likely to get shin splints the heavier you are.

Even if you have the right kind of shoes, they will wear out even if they look like they are in good condition. 3-400 miles is probably the most you should run in a pair of shoes. I find it helps to ony use my running shoes for running since I develop different wear patterns on the shoes from walking, etc.

You might have to rest for a few days or more, ice after every run, get the proper shoes, take NSAIDs and only run on trails. Stretching of the lower leg and running barefoot help some people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capablanca View Post
Old (and/or cheap) shoes is pretty much a guarantee that you'll develop some shin problems.

I've been running all my life and have never had any shin injuries. I owe this to always and I mean ALWAYS running in good quality shoes and NEVER running in them when they are past their prime.

First, go see a doctor about your shin pain, then buy yourself some new dedicated running shoes.
I agree with everything you say except for going to a doctor. Unless you are going to a podiatrist who is prescribing orthotics, there is nothing that a doctor can do except tell you to stop running until the pain goes away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Stop using it for anything and go to the doctors before it becomes a permanent problem. The pain should not be lasting that long if it was nothing. Does it still hurt? Have you tried and epsom salt soak? I really would go to the doctor though. Don't mess around if that 10K is your goal.
Shin splints will not become a permanent problem. They go away if you stop running.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:46 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
Hi all,

Thanks,
Hmm. I used to get shin splints all the time when running track and it was never pain in my calf, it was ON the shin area. And it's not a fun pain. Wrapped them up really good before track practice and also did a lot of therapy pool.

And yes, check your shoes...make sure they fit right, not just "size" but that they actually FIT right.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:58 PM

632 posts, read 1,030,863 times
VillageIdiot1 should change his name to VillageWiseMan1. Great post above in post #5.

Rep points to you.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:18 PM

486 posts, read 832,491 times
Run don't walk to a running store and get fitted for the correct type and size of shoe. I used to have problem all the time with my shoes until I went to a running store and they said I need a wide shoe that was 2 sizes bigger than I was wearing.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:43 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Here's an excellent article that should give you more ideas.

A Primer on Lower-Leg Pain | Running Times

My advice is don't try to run through pain. Take a little time off, and then try it again. Better to rest and heal than to risk a chronic problem. Also, avoid running on pavement as much as possible. Run on grass, dirt, or treadmill. The hard pavement transmits a lot of shock to joints, feet, and legs.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:59 AM

1,280 posts, read 2,443,406 times
I use to suffer from shin splints while jogging. I decided to focus most of my stretching on my shins and discovered this one stretch that eliminated my shin splints.

Ankle exercise - shin stretch - YouTube!

After you see your doctor, try to find a stretching routine that works for you, and be sure to stretch before and after your jog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness