Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 12:42 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
So if you are a late 20's male, 5'11 and not fat or chubby but 20-30 pounds to lose what kind of body would you expect to have after 4 months of doing this workout and eating healthy and only 1,500-1,700 calories a day?

Saturday: 60 minutes swimming
Sunday: 60 minutes swimming
Monday: 60 minutes cardio (elliptical and stairmaster)
Tuesday: 60 minutes Row Machine
Wednesday 60 minutes Cardio (same as Monday)
Thursday: 60 minutes Row Machine

What kind of body do you think one would have after that stint?
You will be a more aerobically fit skinny fat person who lacks muscle mass. Your diet, your overemphasis on cardio, too little recovery time and, most importantly, your lack of resistance exercise will assure that you will end up this way, ultimately feeling tired and frustrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 03:37 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,824,885 times
Thanks everyone for your input. So I am swapping my workout:

Sunday: Rowing 60 minutes
Monday: Cardio Machines 60 minutes
Tuesday: Weightlifting 60 minute worth of
Wednesday: Rowing 60 minutes
Thursday Cardio Machines 60 minutes
Saturday: Weighlifting 60 minutes worth of

So that is what I am going to change it to.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:36 PM

230 posts, read 343,494 times
Quote:

I don't know your athletic background or anything, but according to your posts it seems you are not currently in great physical condition and people that are in pretty good shape typically take more than 1 day of rest per week. Your chances of quitting or injuring yourself will be greatly increased. I also don't understand your obsession with 60 minutes. What has convinced you that this is the ideal amount of time for every kind of exercise?

You should focus more on what you are actually going to do. What is 60 minutes of rowing? Does this consist of any intervals or change of pace or just going at a leisurely pace until the clock counts down to zero? What is 60 minutes of lifting? A full body weight lifting workout? What lifts? Did you consider how much of that 60 minutes will be used for rest time? What tools do you have available to perform these lifts? See where I am going with this? Don't use time as a way to convince yourself that you are making the best use of your time because that is not always the case. If your routine lasts 35 minutes before you feel like death than you still worked out hard, right? You didn't fail because you didn't reach the hour mark.

On the other hand if you have absolutely no idea what to do and are unaware of your conditioning level then that is fine too. You don't need a plan. Decide you are going to lift weights today and familiarize yourself with some exercises or machines. No big deal. Don't feel pressured to make a schedule or a routine on your 1st day. All these athletes and workout enthusiasts that are in great shape just tried it one day and took it from there. They didn't say they were going to work out for 60 minutes 6 days a week before they started and they didn't decide how many of those days were for lifting before they even knew how to lift.

Old 10-27-2013, 04:51 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:

I believe you should take at least one more day off (two days of rest a week, in other words) and think about trying to change your cardio days to less time, more intensity. 30 really hard minutes of rowing and cardio machines - as opposed to 60 moderate minutes - is more than enough to increase your fitness level, and it will also improve your metabolic rate during the minutes and hours you are not working out.

I do believe you should shoot for a certain amount of time for cardio but in terms of your lifting you should do a certain routine or routines and finish them when you finish them. No reason to plan to lift for an hour, for example.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:22 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,001,526 times
If you're a naturally "thicker" guy, extra cardio won't hurt. The guys that only preach heavy lifting with minor cardio or interval training are usually hard gainers that struggle to retain mass.

I'm a stockier guy, so I can do tons of cardio, do compounds lifts (squats, deadlifts, clean and jerks, bench press etc) and build muscle. I feel the difference when jogging and swimming. Don't give it up, but definitely incorporate heavy compound lifts. And please, don't do those body splits...i.e., working certain areas of the body on different days. Stay away from the isolation lifts unless you have areas where you want to see extra growth like biceps or calves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness