Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 02:54 PM

436 posts, read 1,174,408 times

Advertisements

However my weight is around 133 ibs or 60 kg. Now I have been working out for a few months, and I sweat like crazy. Within 5 minutes of my spin class I am so wet that the floor underneath me is wet. Everyone around is normally okay, and gets sweaty at 20min through the class. Is there something wrong with me or is this okay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 03:12 PM

324 posts, read 883,729 times
I sweat a lot too, but not that much. My trainer said that sweating is actually a sign of fitness. I'm not sure if the amount you sweat is normal or not, but maybe it is just something to mention next time you are at the doctor's office.

Old 11-29-2007, 04:08 PM

295 posts, read 1,450,498 times
It is not a bad thing.
Just remember to hydrate during the workout.
You can usually tell if you are dehydrated by a chill sensation. If you start getting the chills during your workout, you have probably gone too far without hydrating. If you stop sweating, and have hot, dry skin, you should stop working out immediately and drink water (heat exhaustion).
jim

Old 11-29-2007, 08:02 PM

49 posts, read 261,774 times
There's nothing bad about sweating a ton. Though I don't sweat that much, I do sweat more than the average Joe. My T-Shirts last me about 1 month before I start seeing the sweat and deodorant stains on them and that's just my day to day t-shirts, not my work out shirts. I now use, though I am female, the mens speed stick antiperspirant. I still sweat a lot, but it's helped. I can be cold, and I'll still find sweat on my shirt within a few hours of wearing it if I'm just walking around or even just sitting in class or at the computer or where ever.
The biggest challenge for people like us, is learning to deal with it. Those of us that sweat a lot, must drink a lot. But not just water, we need to keep our bodies well "fed." If you've recently eaten before a work out, you are safe to drink just water during short work outs, but my rule of thumb is if I plan on working out longer than 1 hours, then I need to drink more than just water. I need to mix a little Gatorade or something similar into my work out drinks.
If you've gone several hours with out eating before your work out, then you will want Gatorade to drink in addition to water, even if the work out will be less than 1 hour because your body sweats more than just water so you need to replace what you are sweating.
Obviously, you sweat more than I, so this may be different for you. Just play around and see what works.
A general rule of thumb is to drink every 15 minutes of a work out, but for those of us that sweat more than the average joe, we've got to make sure we are drinking more. We can still keep our drinking breaks to 15-20 minutes apart, but we need to be drinking more than just a sip or two.
Though you didn't really ask for that much info, I hope it helped some
Sweating is not bad, it releases toxins and is good for the body. Your body just produces more sweat. It may just be some kind of dysfunction with your sweat glands, but usually there are no health concerns with that as long as you keep hydrated
But like someone else said, mention it to your doctor. They may be able to give you a prescription deodorant and give you the peace of mind that there's nothing wrong with you
Rebecca

Old 11-30-2007, 09:32 AM

674 posts, read 805,087 times
I agree with the above. Talk to a doc if you are really concerned. There are also prescription strength antiperspirants that can be used....and don't feel bad-- pigs don't actually sweat (little piece of trivia)-- you are a normal human!

Old 11-30-2007, 06:42 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,254,417 times
Do pigs actually sweat? Heehee ... my husband sweats "like a pig", too, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. I would, however, question someone saying that sweating is a sign of fitness. My best friend is a health nut and she doesn't sweat much but some really fat/obese people, sweat like crazy - two ends of the spectrum there.

Old 11-30-2007, 06:52 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
You're okay, Foma. Sweating is good for you - helps you lose weight and keeps your body cool while you're working out.

Old 12-01-2007, 01:06 PM

311 posts, read 1,058,371 times
I sweat a lot too.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:41 PM

436 posts, read 1,174,408 times
Man! thank you guys so much, you ve really made me feel human and normal. thankfully the sweating thing is something that happens mainly when i work out, and if it was happening when i was not active then i would be depressed. so thats the good side! on the bad side its clear i am going to have to keep high stock of gym wear. lol. anyway thanks guys again, you are most appreciated.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:53 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,488,243 times
Default Why We Sweat - from How stuff works

When sweat evaporates from the surface of your skin, it removes excess heat and cools you. This is actually due to a neat principle in physics, which goes like this. To convert water from a liquid to a vapor, it takes a certain amount of heat called the heat of vaporization. This heat energy increases the speed of the water molecules so that they can escape into the air. For water, this value is 540 calories/gram or 2.26 x 106 joules/kilogram. So, if you can produce one liter of sweat, which is equal to 1000 g or 1 kg (density of water is 1 g/ml or 1 kg/l) in one hour, then 540,000 calories of heat can be removed from your body. This is an extreme example using the maximum amount of sweat that a person can make. Typically, all of the sweat does not evaporate, but rather runs off your skin. In addition, not all heat energy produced by the body is lost through sweat. Some is directly radiated from the skin to the air and some is lost through respiratory surfaces of the lungs.
A major factor that influences the rate of evaporation is the relative humidity of the air around you. If the air is humid, then it already has water vapor in it, probably near saturation, and cannot take any more. Therefore, sweat does not evaporate and cool your body as efficiently as when the air is dry.

Finally, when the water in the sweat evaporates, it leaves the salts (sodium, chloride and potassium) behind on your skin, which is why your skin tastes salty. The loss of excessive amounts of salt and water from your body can quickly dehydrate you, which can lead to circulatory problems, kidney failure and heat stroke. So, it is important to drink plenty of fluids when you exercise or are outside in high temperatures. Sports drinks contain some salts to replace those lost in the sweat.

Excessive Sweating
Excessive sweating -- usually on the palms of the hand or the armpits -- that is not caused by emotional or physical activity is called diaphoresis or hyperhidrosis. It is often an embarrassing condition. The cause or causes are unknown, but the condition may be due to the following:

hormonal imbalances (e.g., menopause in women)
overactive thyroid gland (The thyroid hormone increases body metabolism and heat production.)
certain foods and medications (e.g., coffee with its high amounts of caffeine)
overactivity of the sympathetic nervous system
This condition can be treated by medications and surgical procedures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness