Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 11:39 AM

686 posts, read 1,231,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali2jersey View Post
IDoes anyone do standing ab exercises? Do they work? Suggestions for ab workout needed
Standing abs exercises? Care to post a youtube video of what that might be? Ive never seen any "standing" ab exercises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 11:46 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chum Kiu View Post
Standing abs exercises? Care to post a youtube video of what that might be? Ive never seen any "standing" ab exercises.
I know I thought that at first too, but I think by abs she real meant 'core'...

Some of them are are common and effective enough (esp. for obliques), but I'd definitely lie down or hang for anything targeting the abs so that you can curl your torso up.

Last edited by otterprods; 03-26-2014 at 12:54 PM..

Old 03-26-2014, 12:43 PM

240 posts, read 423,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Ab Wheel Rollout « Bodyweight Strength Training « Beast Skills

It isn't a novice ab exercise for sure. One has to have very strong abs to do just one properly.

I've gotten strong abs doing this exercise, and a man that loves doing core exercises, my ripped seven pack didn't come from lifting/exercises; 80% of it came from diet. Everybody has a great set of abs to begin with; just need to get rid of the fat to reveal it. You can do all the ab exercises you want, exercise and run all you want, but you'll never out exercise a bad diet or out run your fork.

Oh yea. I know what that is. Thanks for the link. That move looks pretty intense.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:53 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
I'm doing the 6 week 6 pack abs also. Jillian Michaels. I found that level 1 was tougher than level 2. Level 2 has more standing moves than level 1. I've actually been substituting some of the standing moves with russian crunches and scissors.

I've improved my eating habits quite a bit, too. It does make a significant difference.
I don't like Jillian at all. She relies too much on plank exercises for my taste, and I get bored with any instructor who repeats the same types of exercises a million times. I have several of her videos collecting dust in my drawer. I have Bob Harper, and he has a great ab video called Totally Ripped Core that involves doing a lot of standing ab work using weights. He also has you work on your balance. I really like him, and he's harder than Jillian. But I agree with everyone else. Abs are made in the kitchen and cardio is very important to get rid of the fat and make your muscles defined. It's not just about strength training.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:57 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,629,795 times

This is a great exercise piece of equipment and it fits any standard door. Here you can do bend over cruches as well as angled crunches and also oblique crunches all from a standing position. Plus you can do a lot more ab training and other body parts too. Other alternatives to that machine are those cheap resistance bands that you can buy at many stores. Hook it up to the ceiling or high point, or secure it to a low object and do the exercises that I mentiones and see how that works

Old 03-26-2014, 12:57 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I don't like Jillian at all
Yeah same here… to the point where I just deleted her video url off my last post. But mostly it was just her 'tough chick' persona and something about her attitude on video that bugged me. The exercises seemed ok but I only watched like a 30 second snippet. I don't like exercise videos much in general anyways.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
If you're interested in working up to those, you can use a torso track and a step and it will give you elastic assistance to do basically the same move. It's a lot of equipment and $$ just for that one exercise though so if it's not worth it then maybe try the wheel rollout from your knees and work up from there. It is tough though, which is why I have a torso track
Rolling out from the knees definitley looks more doable. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
The problem with standing ab exercises is your legs are supporting all your weight. Depending on what type of exercise you're trying to do, you may not be using enough weight. You need to contract your ab muscles with each rep to get the most out of the exercise. In other words, tighten your abs and hold the position for a second before releasing.
That makes sense. The trainer always says to keep the abs tight with each crunch which I do. When I work out I like to feel a burn so that I feel like I'm getting something out of it. Never feel that when doing the standing crunches. I keep my abs tight but I guess the position is not being held long enough.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I know I thought that at first too, but I think by abs she real meant 'core'...

Some of them are are common and effective enough (esp. for obliques), but I'd definitely lie down or hang for anything targeting the abs so that you can curl your torso up.

Don't know what happended to the video you attached to your comment but that was exactly what I'm talking about. Doesn't look intense enougn to help sculp abs does it? A lot of ab workout videos includes these exercises. I agree, using the floor works better. I haven't tried hanging. I guess one of those things you put in the doorway would work for that?

Old 03-26-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I don't like Jillian at all. She relies too much on plank exercises for my taste, and I get bored with any instructor who repeats the same types of exercises a million times. I have several of her videos collecting dust in my drawer. I have Bob Harper, and he has a great ab video called Totally Ripped Core that involves doing a lot of standing ab work using weights. He also has you work on your balance. I really like him, and he's harder than Jillian. But I agree with everyone else. Abs are made in the kitchen and cardio is very important to get rid of the fat and make your muscles defined. It's not just about strength training.
I've actually become bored with her 6 week 6 pack video. Especially after I started level 2. Lost interest after that. Half the time I wasn't even tired when I completed the workout. I like to feel exhausted after a workout. I also have her Ripped in 30 video but haven't started it yet. I'm using cardio videos and other target area videos also. All of which I've gotten from YouTube. I'm trying to get in the right flow with my workout regimen. Never heard of Bob Harper. I'll look him up. I have Sean T's Insanity video which I attempted several months ago. Got burned out after the warm up...lol. I'm still determined to start and complete it though. Thought it might be better if I started out with something less intense and work my way up. I'm not overweight or anything. I just want to tone up and get sculpted and eat healthier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
This is a great exercise piece of equipment and it fits any standard door. Here you can do bend over cruches as well as angled crunches and also oblique crunches all from a standing position. Plus you can do a lot more ab training and other body parts too. Other alternatives to that machine are those cheap resistance bands that you can buy at many stores. Hook it up to the ceiling or high point, or secure it to a low object and do the exercises that I mentiones and see how that works
That looks interesting. Where would I find that? I'm gradually setting up a fitness room in my home. Looking for some equipment ideas. I'm considering getting the 'Total Gym' piece that Chuck Norris promotes in that infomercial. Seems that is an all-in-one piece of equipment.

Quote:
Yeah same here… to the point where I just deleted her video url off my last post. But mostly it was just her 'tough chick' persona and something about her attitude on video that bugged me. The exercises seemed ok but I only watched like a 30 second snippet. I don't like exercise videos much in general anyways.
Oh now I know why the video was gone

Old 03-26-2014, 02:33 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,629,795 times
Quote:
I've actually become bored with her 6 week 6 pack video. Especially after I started level 2. Lost interest after that. Half the time I wasn't even tired when I completed the workout. I like to feel exhausted after a workout. I also have her Ripped in 30 video but haven't started it yet. I'm using cardio videos and other target area videos also. All of which I've gotten from YouTube. I'm trying to get in the right flow with my workout regimen. Never heard of Bob Harper. I'll look him up. I have Sean T's Insanity video which I attempted several months ago. Got burned out after the warm up...lol. I'm still determined to start and complete it though. Thought it might be better if I started out with something less intense and work my way up. I'm not overweight or anything. I just want to tone up and get sculpted and eat healthier.

That looks interesting. Where would I find that? I'm gradually setting up a fitness room in my home. Looking for some equipment ideas. I'm considering getting the 'Total Gym' piece that Chuck Norris promotes in that infomercial. Seems that is an all-in-one piece of equipment.

Oh now I know why the video was gone
I bought mine at the sports authority on clearnce because it was missing the instructional dvds but you can see some of the workouts on youtube. Check on craigslist, you'd be surprised how many times people will sell those things cheap. As far as Jillian Michaels goes, she is a no nonsense straight forward woman who does not candy coat the truth. She will tell it like it is and you either like it or you don't and I like that about her. My drill sergeants in the army didn't have a nice attitude especially the women drill sergeants but they got the job done and I respect that. A good trainer tells you what you need to know and not what you want to hear. Keep going and kick butt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness