Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2014, 08:29 PM

877 posts, read 1,316,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
I also like the look of Victoria's Secret model legs as long as they're not too bony. I just know that I will never have legs like them because I'm only 5'2" Is it possible for a short girl's legs to look long if they are skinny?
Eh, well keep in mind VS models also have contouring (I think there was a 'how to' on GMA just recently), so it can make the muscles appear more defined. I have a few girlfriends who do that to their midsection. It's basically using a body bronzer brush and powder.

I'm a small girl myself. I think we can of course have skinny legs, but the lengthy appearance is unlikely to happen without the use of heels (even then it only helps to some extent)

Oh also, stay away from lifting heavy. I'd recommend power/bikram/hot yoga, pilates or barre.

Last edited by coffeendonuts; 05-31-2014 at 08:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 07:38 AM

324 posts, read 877,531 times
Typical Woman:

"I have the ability to build muscle, look attractive and become healthy.

but I want to look like a borderline anorexic girl who is photoshopped in magazine."

Old 06-01-2014, 07:48 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by League54 View Post
Typical Woman:

but I want to look like a borderline anorexic girl who is photoshopped in magazine."
That's why I say, "Get healthy, be strong, embrace your DNA."

Old 06-01-2014, 09:57 AM

2,234 posts, read 2,405,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post
Eh, well keep in mind VS models also have contouring (I think there was a 'how to' on GMA just recently), so it can make the muscles appear more defined. I have a few girlfriends who do that to their midsection. It's basically using a body bronzer brush and powder.

I'm a small girl myself. I think we can of course have skinny legs, but the lengthy appearance is unlikely to happen without the use of heels (even then it only helps to some extent)

Oh also, stay away from lifting heavy. I'd recommend power/bikram/hot yoga, pilates or barre.
Yeah, I just keep getting mixed opinions, so I'm not sure what to do. I always hear that women need to lift weights to get toned and defined legs and that it's nearly impossible to get bulky. I usually don't lift more than 10 pound dumbbells in each hand.

I'm really trying to work on toning my body so that it looks thinner and more defined... do you really think yoga/pilates are good for that? Is power yoga faster and more intense than regular yoga?

Old 06-01-2014, 10:14 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,233,292 times
That's because a lot of girls confuse fat with muscle in their lower body. If they were actually under 20% body fat, they would realize all that fast muscle gain wasn't what they thought.

Have been properly training for a decade and have fairly 'toned' legs as some would call, lifting heavy. 99/100 times a girl claims her legs muscle bulks up, she has significant lower body fat. No girl under 20% would claim that as it becomes quite obvious it isn't the case. The more fat they are, the more they claim bulk. DEXA scans would be a good lesson to them.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:42 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,937 times
I do squats without weights, that's because I don't own any barbells, I live remote so going to a gym not really options , so far very happy with results, more fimer and toner and getting some defined muscles mass .I just wanted to firm up myself fell out some , since I'm on the small side..I do use weights when working upper body...

Old 06-01-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by League54 View Post
Typical Woman:

Ok, and? How many guys do you see throwing away Sports Illustrated or VS catalogs because according to internet white knights, the models look "anorexic" simply because they're thin (and not fat like the rest of the US population)?

It's called a preference. I am a naturally smaller girl, so it would only make sense that I would want to be petite versus looking like the hulk

Old 06-01-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
Yeah, I just keep getting mixed opinions, so I'm not sure what to do. I always hear that women need to lift weights to get toned and defined legs and that it's nearly impossible to get bulky. I usually don't lift more than 10 pound dumbbells in each hand.

I'm really trying to work on toning my body so that it looks thinner and more defined... do you really think yoga/pilates are good for that? Is power yoga faster and more intense than regular yoga?
Yes, yoga and pilates would be better for your goals.

I switched from weight lifting to mostly Pilates and I honestly could not be happier. I do Pilates on a reformer and we still do lots of squats & lunges, even with light weights sometimes.

Some of the posters on here are acting like women will fall apart if they don't lift weights. 2/3 of Americans are overweight, so not lifting weights isn't gonna be the thing that kills.

I think Pilates has changed my body more than squatting 150 lbs (which I use to do) ever could have.

But I also run long distance so that may have affected the shape of my legs as well.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:56 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times
Quote:
I have muscular legs but I find the appearance of lean legs to be more attractive. I don't know a single guy who would turn down the long, lean legs of a Victoria's Secret model (aside from those on the internet).

That's why I stopped lifting weights. I gain muscle easily and it's just a huge no no for me.
As a skinny ectomorph with slim thighs, I have never developed big quads no matter what exercise I was doing. So I think we should all accept the legs we have, and just be grateful we even have legs. lol

Old 06-01-2014, 10:57 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times
Quote:
Yes, yoga and pilates would be better for your goals.

I switched from weight lifting to mostly Pilates and I honestly could not be happier. I do Pilates on a reformer and we still do lots of squats & lunges, even with light weights sometimes.

Some of the posters on here are acting like women will fall apart if they don't lift weights. 2/3 of Americans are overweight, so not lifting weights isn't gonna be the thing that kills.

I think Pilates has changed my body more than squatting 150 lbs (which I use to do) ever could have.

But I also run long distance so that may have affected the shape of my legs as well.
When I ran long distance, my calves got bigger, but my thighs stayed slim, and my butt got smaller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness