Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 07:44 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,409,250 times

Advertisements

Low body fat.. but I think it looks gross. Once you are really veiny, that it too little body fat IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 03:24 PM

98 posts, read 95,425 times
No I've never taken steroids and my veins normally pop out like what you explained. I also don't work out some people have veins like that.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:23 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,409,250 times
Steroids are just bad.. do not ever use them

Old 08-14-2014, 07:58 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,679,772 times
There is dangers in everything you ingest as well as benefits. There are a lot of myths surround steroids.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:26 AM

187 posts, read 626,503 times
Wrong!!! Steroids are worse than narcotics & cause more overall long term damage. Ask Sergio Oliva, Trevor Smith, Nasser El-Sonbaty, Casey Viator, Greg Kovacs, Mike Matarozzo.....no don't becuz they're freakin' dead due to exogenous hormone use. Fool's Gold.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:16 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,984,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FS250 View Post
Wrong!!! Steroids are worse than narcotics & cause more overall long term damage. Ask Sergio Oliva, Trevor Smith, Nasser El-Sonbaty, Casey Viator, Greg Kovacs, Mike Matarozzo.....no don't becuz they're freakin' dead due to exogenous hormone use. Fool's Gold.
You are kidding right? Steroids are produced within our own bodies. Some people produce more, other people less. Putting more into your body (for such things as HRT) is not the end of the world and most of what used to be said negatively about steroids when I was in school back in the 80s was absolutely 100% fiction. We were all told it would permanently shrink your bits and pieces and make you unable to have children (it has no such affect). We were told all the gains from them would go away if you ever stopped using (again, not true, you just need to cycle off slowly so your body has a chance to increase its own hormone production). We were told it would cause us to lose our hair (again, not true - that's a genetic issue - take a look at the full heads of hair some of the worlds biggest and most famous bodybuilders of all time had). We were told you would get kidney failure if you used (not true if you inject). Lastly, if you did steroids you would become crazy and mean (a ridiculous assertion - the guys who were users and who had tempers/or were mean were as such because it was in their nature and for no other reason). About the only thing which was true was that they were illegal.

No one talked about the obvious positives when I was young: 1) the guys who did steroids built frames of muscle that were awesome compared to non-users of similar age 2) Especially in high school the choice girls loved the bodies of the steroid using guys as they were much more developed than the rest of the young herd. 3) when they cycled off during the athletic seasons (because of drug testing), using athletes kept their gains and still were much more developed than the rest of the guys and many were able to carry those gains into college athletics and some even into pro sports.

That stated, there are good methods to take them and bad methods as well as many different types and sources. The people who died in their 70s such as Sergio, had abused their bodies, but they also lived full lives as I know plenty of people inside and outside my family that died in their 70s if not from one thing, than another (various organ failures and/or diseases). Those above also didn't just use steroids, they used all sorts of other supplements and drugs and did lifestyle-things to make their bodies insanely muscular... who is to say that the steroids killed them? Perhaps their life styles, eating habits, or genetic deficiencies had something to do with their deaths instead. We know that orally taken steroids (common back in my high school days - but everyone knew the related issues) can damage the kidneys but who takes those these days? I think it is way more likely that these body builders supplemented with questionable powders and pills which damaged their kidneys and that those with heart failure or embolisms (if it wasn't a genetic issue) didn't do enough cardio to support their massive bodies.

Just my two cents.

To the OP - Now regarding popping veins... I know from experience that noticeable veins comes from athletic exertion and your muscles needing more blood. It takes quite a bit of exertion in combination with low body fat, but anyone can get them. Steroids can help thin your skin/remove body fat which makes the veins more noticeable as well, but most people would be working out at the same time so I suspect that you need both for it to happen. If you see a guy like me with low body fat and veins bulging from my arms/forearms/hands, it has a lot to do with my lifestyle and nothing to do with steroids. Making pottery and sculpting each day are the core cause, followed by good diet and exercise. Nothing rocket science. You cannot accurately assume anything regarding steroid use by just looking as some people naturally have more body fat while others have less.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:46 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,376,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
You are kidding right? Steroids are produced within our own bodies. Some people produce more, other people less. Putting more into your body (for such things as HRT) is not the end of the world and most of what used to be said negatively about steroids when I was in school back in the 80s was absolutely 100% fiction. We were all told it would permanently shrink your bits and pieces and make you unable to have children (it has no such affect). We were told all the gains from them would go away if you ever stopped using (again, not true, you just need to cycle off slowly so your body has a chance to increase its own hormone production). We were told it would cause us to lose our hair (again, not true - that's a genetic issue - take a look at the full heads of hair some of the worlds biggest and most famous bodybuilders of all time had). We were told you would get kidney failure if you used (not true if you inject). Lastly, if you did steroids you would become crazy and mean (a ridiculous assertion - the guys who were users and who had tempers/or were mean were as such because it was in their nature and for no other reason). About the only thing which was true was that they were illegal.

No one talked about the obvious positives when I was young: 1) the guys who did steroids built frames of muscle that were awesome compared to non-users of similar age 2) Especially in high school the choice girls loved the bodies of the steroid using guys as they were much more developed than the rest of the young herd. 3) when they cycled off during the athletic seasons (because of drug testing), using athletes kept their gains and still were much more developed than the rest of the guys and many were able to carry those gains into college athletics and some even into pro sports.

That stated, there are good methods to take them and bad methods as well as many different types and sources. The people who died in their 70s such as Sergio, had abused their bodies, but they also lived full lives as I know plenty of people inside and outside my family that died in their 70s if not from one thing, than another (various organ failures and/or diseases). Those above also didn't just use steroids, they used all sorts of other supplements and drugs and did lifestyle-things to make their bodies insanely muscular... who is to say that the steroids killed them? Perhaps their life styles, eating habits, or genetic deficiencies had something to do with their deaths instead. We know that orally taken steroids (common back in my high school days - but everyone knew the related issues) can damage the kidneys but who takes those these days? I think it is way more likely that these body builders supplemented with questionable powders and pills which damaged their kidneys and that those with heart failure or embolisms (if it wasn't a genetic issue) didn't do enough cardio to support their massive bodies.

Just my two cents.

To the OP - Now regarding popping veins... I know from experience that noticeable veins comes from athletic exertion and your muscles needing more blood. It takes quite a bit of exertion in combination with low body fat, but anyone can get them. Steroids can help thin your skin/remove body fat which makes the veins more noticeable as well, but most people would be working out at the same time so I suspect that you need both for it to happen. If you see a guy like me with low body fat and veins bulging from my arms/forearms/hands, it has a lot to do with my lifestyle and nothing to do with steroids. Making pottery and sculpting each day are the core cause, followed by good diet and exercise. Nothing rocket science. You cannot accurately assume anything regarding steroid use by just looking as some people naturally have more body fat while others have less.
Great posting, only one correction I would really make is that the orals and stuff are typically much harder on your liver, not kidneys. The kidney issues comes from dehydrating a ton for a ton of competitions. Which, of course is avoidable for the average user that isn't stupid about that.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:48 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,376,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FS250 View Post
People can OD on tylenol and shorten their lives, or kill themselves.

People can shorten their lives from excessive alcohol intake.

There's a million things that if people us in excess, will kill them or shorten their lives. Countless. It's those that abuse them heavily, compete a ton and get insanely dehydrated, that it can have long term effects..

Every single person you listed above blatantly abused steroids. Period.. So your point is not valid whatsoever.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:45 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,984,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Great posting, only one correction I would really make is that the orals and stuff are typically much harder on your liver, not kidneys. The kidney issues comes from dehydrating a ton for a ton of competitions. Which, of course is avoidable for the average user that isn't stupid about that.
Yes - I knew that but honestly forgot when writing this morning. Perfect correction.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:05 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
The kidney issues comes from dehydrating a ton for a ton of competitions. Which, of course is avoidable for the average user that isn't stupid about that.
Is it the natural dehydration or is it the diuretics that they take running up to a show that really do it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness