Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 11:33 AM

14,568 posts, read 23,094,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
There is a lot more to it than that. The old calories in vs. calories out thing is for the simpleton noobs who really need it put in the most simplistic terms for them. I totally and completely disagree with you on this when it comes to weight loss.

You MUST have a combination of quality of foods (i.e., WHAT you eat) and quantity (i.e., how much) you eat. It could be a recipie for failure to just think calories in vs calories out. Think about what kind of people we are talking about here, its almost ALWAYS those who know NOTHING about nutrition, NOTHING!!! So they will think "Hmmmm.......I have a green light to continue drinking the 3-4 diet Cokes I consume daily because it says zero calories". This is horribly wrong. People MUST learn how to eat properly first, then learn about quantity (better if they do both at the same time), instead of just learn how to stay below x amount of calories daily.

For people new to working out, trying to lose weight or in need of assistance in getting healthy, I always tell them to FIRST work on proper nutrition. Learning what to eat (and what NOT to eat) first is more important than just watching calories.
I'm not even sure what you're debating here. You agree with me that calories in v. calories out is the basis for weight loss, and agree with me that weight can be lost in unhealthy ways (see: HCG diet) so what exactly is your contention here?

Moving beyond that, what exactly is your issue with diet sodas? I've seen you rant against them before but you never replied to me when I asked for an explanation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 06:02 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,833,165 times
Quote:
Ive been training people for almost 20 years and stick to my guns because of the great results. Calories in vs. calories out is just too simple and you KNOW, as I have said before, the obese will use whatever mind tricks they can to make themselves think its okay to continue eating the crap that got them obese. The Diet Coke thing is a perfect example. They mistakenly think "oh it has zero calories so I can drink 4 and still be okay", NO!! You will NOT be okay!!!

I will always be an advocate for eating RIGHT and putting "high grade fuel" in the body to fuel its workouts for fat loss and fitness improvement. Not the "you can continue to eat all the sh*t you've been eating, but lets just stay below a certain amount of calories" nonsense that some people believe because that is not conducive to learning and establishing healthy habits for HEALTH!!

Portion control and junk food ARE the biggest problems as well as not being active, but my approach is always to attack the junk food part immediately.
I am not arguing against you. I agree 100%. However there is no getting around the fact of calories in vs calories out. My point is that there is no magic diet, no pill, no supplement that will ever change that fact.
People can lose weight if they just limit their calories but still eat junk, but it is the WRONG thing to do. I do not know where I ever posted that it was okay to do that.
Its also easy to attack the junk food, but hard to make it stick if people are unwilling to cook for themselves, are under the misinformation that it is more expensive to eat healthy, when their choices are limited and of course denial the #1 reason people end up becoming obese in the first place..

Old 12-21-2011, 08:17 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,311,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I am not arguing against you. I agree 100%. However there is no getting around the fact of calories in vs calories out. My point is that there is no magic diet, no pill, no supplement that will ever change that fact.
People can lose weight if they just limit their calories but still eat junk, but it is the WRONG thing to do. I do not know where I ever posted that it was okay to do that.
Its also easy to attack the junk food, but hard to make it stick if people are unwilling to cook for themselves, are under the misinformation that it is more expensive to eat healthy, when their choices are limited and of course denial the #1 reason people end up becoming obese in the first place..
I agree. You can't work off a bad diet. Period.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:46 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,372,873 times
squats, /end thread

Old 12-22-2011, 07:38 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,311,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
squats, /end thread
Squats are iffy. On many women they can actually add bulk to the lower body.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Squats are iffy. On many women they can actually add bulk to the lower body.
Really? I do weighted squats and lunges and my lower body is smaller and toned. No bulk. Women generally do not bulk up. This kind of thinking prevents a lot of women from doing the most effective exercises out there.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:37 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,985,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post

Moving beyond that, what exactly is your issue with diet sodas? I've seen you rant against them before but you never replied to me when I asked for an explanation.
Sodas are not part of a healthy nutrition plan. PERIOD! For people I train, its one of the very first things I tell them - NO MORE SODA!! For many fat women, Diet coke is like cigarettes to them. Its like they cant live without it. Ridiculous. For ANYONE looking to lose weight and/or get healthy, especially those just starting out, they need to create healthy habits and get rid of their horrible nutritional habit and soda drinking is on my list of a horrible nutritional habit so it MUST go.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Sodas are not part of a healthy nutrition plan. PERIOD! For people I train, its one of the very first things I tell them - NO MORE SODA!! For many fat women, Diet coke is like cigarettes to them. Its like they cant live without it. Ridiculous. For ANYONE looking to lose weight and/or get healthy, especially those just starting out, they need to create healthy habits and get rid of their horrible nutritional habit and soda drinking is on my list of a horrible nutritional habit so it MUST go.
I get where you are coming from but your all or nothing approach will have people quitting before they even get started. I agree diet sodas are a big no-no. I myself love diet coke but I never drank when I was trying to lose weight, but I do drink it occasionally now.
Whenever you tell people that they absolutely cannot have a certain food item they are going to feel deprived and then find away to fail.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:01 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,985,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I get where you are coming from but your all or nothing approach will have people quitting before they even get started. I agree diet sodas are a big no-no. I myself love diet coke but I never drank when I was trying to lose weight, but I do drink it occasionally now.
Whenever you tell people that they absolutely cannot have a certain food item they are going to feel deprived and then find away to fail.
Its that "I feel deprived" feeling that people need to work to get over or they will NEVER lose the weight. Mindsets must be changed and that is done through education and creation of new healthy habits.

Its not really an all or nothing approach, but it is an immediate no more sodas and no more fast food approach. If they cant do that then I dont want to waste my time in trying to train them because it lets me know they arent serious about losing weight and getting healthy.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:33 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,412,571 times
Drink More Diet Soda, Gain More Weight?

#1 There is NOTHING good for your body in any sodas, diet or otherwise.

#2 There are studies showing that using artificial sweeteners may actually cause you to crave more calories.

#3 We don't know the possible long term side-effects of most of the artificial sweeteners being used today.

There is just no reason to drink soda, of any stripe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness