Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 12:36 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,008,466 times

Advertisements

The Best Chest Workout for Nice, Square, Manly Pecs -

Arnie Flies are supposed to be the best but what are your thoughts on them? So far my chest is getting bigger but not flat and the lower pecs seem a bit loose.

I was thinking maybe to do pushups in different variations and increase weight for more resistance, in place of the bench for a while but I don't know if pushups really do give you a flatter chest.

What about pec deck? It's basically a fly machine. Does it work just fine? A combo of peck deck and bench press/incline?

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 03:28 PM

515 posts, read 1,004,545 times
Bodybuilding is a lot more art than science; you have to find what works for you and it'll take some time to figure it out.

I think push-ups are a great idea. Arnie flies...whatever, if they work, sure. Or maybe incline bench will work for you better; you'll have to play around with it.

Finally, stay the hell away from the pec dec and don't do flys on a cable machine either unless your form is perfect; the range of motion on the pec deck and cable flys can put way too much strain on your shoulder if you go back too far.

Old 11-15-2014, 04:37 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,375,836 times
If the bottom is a bit "loose" that's just fat. I have the same problem and it's my biggest pet peeve.

Other than a little fat on the bottom my chest is massive. Probably proportion wise my biggest muscle group.

I don't do much special lol. Genetics. My dad has a huge muscular chest as well.

I would really just suggest flat and incline bench, dips, and various flies.

Any more I just hit incline on the hammer strength and do some flies. My muscles in my chest outdo by joints/tendons and hammer strength is much easier on them. Last time I tried benching I did 275x10 and that was after not doing it forever. I just don't have too much need for it myself.

To others really wanting to work on it, I'd suggest those 5 exercises above.

Old 11-15-2014, 07:44 PM

My upper chest is pretty big too, I have no complaints. It's just the lower pec is a little fatty. I will do more cardio and cut back on carbs.

Post Workout I had chicken, brown rice and beans. But for dinner tonight I am having steak and sweet potatoes. Is that too many carbs after a pretty strong workout?

Old 11-16-2014, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
My upper chest is pretty big too, I have no complaints. It's just the lower pec is a little fatty. I will do more cardio and cut back on carbs.

Post Workout I had chicken, brown rice and beans. But for dinner tonight I am having steak and sweet potatoes. Is that too many carbs after a pretty strong workout?
Depends on the amount of carbs in each of those meals

Plus your age, height, weight, BF, etc. A lot of things come into play.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:55 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,733,179 times
If you want a bigger lower chest (not fat, but muscle) focus on decline bench and pushups with your hands closer to your knees. As always, always change up your workouts and do cardio 1-3 times a week. It doesn't matter what type of cardio: elliptical, swimming, jogging, sprinting, whatever.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:30 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,914,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
If you want a bigger lower chest (not fat, but muscle) focus on decline bench and pushups with your hands closer to your knees. As always, always change up your workouts and do cardio 1-3 times a week. It doesn't matter what type of cardio: elliptical, swimming, jogging, sprinting, whatever.
Take a look at that article Radiolibre linked to. Decline press is one of the exercises the author recommends not doing. The upshot of the article is that significant muscular development in any part of the chest except the upper chest cause moobs, so only the upper chest should be worked. The guy even recommends avoiding dips and the flat bench press. He suggests doing only incline press and flyes.

Let's see . . . deliberately avoid developing some muscles, avoid tried-and-true staples like dips and bench presses, and limit chest workouts to incline press and flyes. Silliest thing I've ever read. Okay, maybe not the single most ridiculous thing I've ever read, but right up there. And muscle development creates moobs? Bweh! As Houstan-Dan pointed out above, it's fat, not muscle, that makes moobs.

Radiolibre, just because you read one article, even by an author who's supposed to be some kind of expert, that doesn't mean it's accurate. Even people with some knowledge of fitness sometimes develop their own pet theories that fly in the face of knowledge that has been tested and confirmed over time.

No one can tell you exactly, precisely how to do this. That's because not all bodies are exactly alike, and different people have different goals. There are some general guidelines it's useful to follow while you learn from experience what works best for you. One of those guidelines is to go for balanced muscle development. If anyone advises you, in person or in writing, to deliberately avoid developing some part of the body, that should raise a serious red flag, because it contradicts a basic principle of exercise that has been tried and tested and repeatedly established as true, over many years.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:38 AM

706 posts, read 1,042,013 times
decline bench press with a barbell and dumbbell and dips target the lower pecs but you have to train the entire pec muscle as a whole.

Old 11-17-2014, 01:46 PM

Yeah I kinda figured the article was a bit strange considering I always assumed hat dips helped the core thus shrinking the
lower pecs.

How long should you rest before you exercise again? I had a great workout, one of the best on Saturday, but I am wanting to hit them again today Monday. Should I? Or should I just wait another day. I have no soreness, that was all Sunday.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Yeah I kinda figured the article was a bit strange considering I always assumed hat dips helped the core thus shrinking the
lower pecs.

How long should you rest before you exercise again? I had a great workout, one of the best on Saturday, but I am wanting to hit them again today Monday. Should I? Or should I just wait another day. I have no soreness, that was all Sunday.
Before you train again in general or train chest? I would take at a MINIMUM 3-4 days off between the same muscle group. If you don't need more then you aren't training hard enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness