Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 09:43 PM

95 posts, read 204,305 times

Advertisements

I know it's kind of a gross topic, but I developed one of these about a year ago and it has been plaguing me since. It's painful when I run, and sometimes when I hike! I've never had one before (I blame the community center's shower). I'm about to start training for a marathon for the early spring, and would like to rid myself of it before then, but it's persistent. I've tried salicylic acid and Dr Scholl's Freeze Away, which haven't worked, to filing it off with a pumice stone (which doesn't get rid of it, but makes it much more comfortable for running). I haven't gone to the doctor yet, since I have a high deductible insurance plan (I'm kind of cheap) and I've heard freezing it off with Nitrogen at the clinic doesn't always get rid of it either. Now I'm trying the duct tape method, where you keep a piece of duct tape over it and occasionally file it with a pumice stone, and I think it may actually be working (I've heard the acid in the duct tape's adhesive irritates the skin and prompts an immune reaction against the wart), since my foot's been a lot more comfortable lately. It's too early to tell if this will really get rid of it, but this thing has been driving me nuts. Has anybody had one of these, and what's worked to get rid of it? Sometimes I wonder if I'm just trying all these different methods and none of them are working, and eventually it will just go away (a majority of them do after 2 years, I've read) and I'll be convinced that whatever snake oil method I'm employing against it actually worked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 12:52 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean33 View Post
I know it's kind of a gross topic, but I developed one of these about a year ago and it has been plaguing me since. It's painful when I run, and sometimes when I hike! I've never had one before (I blame the community center's shower). I'm about to start training for a marathon for the early spring, and would like to rid myself of it before then, but it's persistent. I've tried salicylic acid and Dr Scholl's Freeze Away, which haven't worked, to filing it off with a pumice stone (which doesn't get rid of it, but makes it much more comfortable for running). I haven't gone to the doctor yet, since I have a high deductible insurance plan (I'm kind of cheap) and I've heard freezing it off with Nitrogen at the clinic doesn't always get rid of it either. Now I'm trying the duct tape method, where you keep a piece of duct tape over it and occasionally file it with a pumice stone, and I think it may actually be working (I've heard the acid in the duct tape's adhesive irritates the skin and prompts an immune reaction against the wart), since my foot's been a lot more comfortable lately. It's too early to tell if this will really get rid of it, but this thing has been driving me nuts. Has anybody had one of these, and what's worked to get rid of it? Sometimes I wonder if I'm just trying all these different methods and none of them are working, and eventually it will just go away (a majority of them do after 2 years, I've read) and I'll be convinced that whatever snake oil method I'm employing against it actually worked.
I had one about 30 years ago on the bottom of my big toe that became extremely painful. Because of the location, it was difficult to treat with OTC products. I was walking with a limp before I finally went to the doctor. He tried several things to get rid of it (freezing? burning? can't remember) but eventually had to cut it out using a local anesthetic.

I hope your duct tape works, but if it doesn't you may have to bite the bullet and see a doctor.

Old 12-18-2014, 12:56 PM

30,527 posts, read 16,226,596 times
I had one that came back even after a dr's visit.

Some one told me to take a regular old sewing needle, sterilize it in alcohol, poke the wart until it bled. It worked!
Had to do it 3 times but it got smaller each time and never came back.

The explanation was that the blood flowing through the wart actually killed it. Not sure if it's true but, as I said, it got gone!

Old 12-18-2014, 01:26 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,931,272 times
Duct tape does not work. There's literally very little medical science why it would.

I had a tough time with one a little while back, but I eventually did get it with extra strength salicylic acid solution, the wart removal bandaid type things, and a pumice. You just have to be very consistent with your regimen and must be persistent--it may take months to get rid of it. If it still comes back, go to your doctor, they may have more advanced antiviral therapies available.

Old 12-18-2014, 01:43 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Go to doctor or clinic and they will freeze it off, several return trips might be necessary but ultimately it will be gone.
As for cost? i cant believe it would be very expensive.
The motherlode of wart information.=
http://www.emedicinehealth.com/warts...article_em.htm

Old 12-18-2014, 01:51 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Duct tape worked for the corn that developed on the side of my foot (same virus). I was limping quite a bit early this year, and the salycylic acid pads and treatments did not work. It would peel and fall off but grow back. I finally went to the doctor, who told me to put duct tape on it. Leave it on and change it when you bathe or the tape stops being sticky. He explained that it will irritate the area to the point that the body launches an attack and kills the virus. Pumice it, too. My doc said it could take months (and sometimes does not work--he mentioned one patient who had corns for years). At that time he estimated I could still be using duct tape at Christmas. It only took a month or two ... it's long gone, no trace of it.

Old 12-18-2014, 01:57 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,440,764 times
Soak the warts in straight vinegar or a dilution of bleach in water (about a capful of bleach to about 2-3 cups) multiple times a day. Since it's on your foot, get a plastic pan you can use solely for this purpose and put a shallow amount of the vinegar or bleach water in the bottom - just enough to rest the bottom of your feet in, not so much that it covers the foot or even reaches the toenails.

Old 12-18-2014, 05:47 PM

95 posts, read 204,305 times
Hey thanks for the advice everybody! I really appreciate it. I never realized a wart would be this bothersome.

I snorted at the duct tape method when I first heard about it, but then I read this (though the article's pretty old)
Duct Tape Gets Rid of Warts
We'll see if it works for me.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:21 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,404,637 times
I had one of these, years ago. I went to a podiatrist and he cut it out. I tried everything but the duct tape and had to get something done because I was on my feet all day every day. Never came back or had any additional trouble. Good luck with the tape.

Old 07-10-2019, 05:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,463 times
Hi Sean 33 i know it was a while ago. I have the same problem now. how did you go with getting rid of your wart? I will appreciate any details you will provide. thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness