Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 08:11 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,465,381 times

Advertisements

"Cardio memory" is not a common figure of speech. Indeed, this is the only place I've ever seen it, and it returns no results in a google search.

I ran track too, bud. I suppose your "cardio memory" was how you casually beat the world record in the 100M in your age class, even though you never ran it before? The training you describe has nothing to do with "cardio memory", it is just exercising fast twitch vs. slow twitch, working on form (biomechanics) and developing aerobic and anaerobic capacity. You've mentioned typical running training concepts but you have the reasoning behind those routines completely wrong... you are just making up nonsense!

You are also using "muscle memory" wrong. Muscle memory is what you get playing the violin or touch typing or shooting a basketball 100,000 times. It has nothing to do with what you do in the weight room or crossfit. You don't do enough reps in either one to develop muscle memory. Why would you need muscle memory to do a bench press or a pull-up, anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 08:21 PM

339 posts, read 334,444 times
^^^^^

Muscle memory actually begins at the cellular level; in the mitochondria, and has to do with ATP (adenosine tri-phosphate) production and uptake. I can get more technical if you want but I doubt you'd get it, especially if you cannot comprehend the concepts of cardio memory.

If you have to Google anything about running that I have trouble with your track experience claims. But so be it.

And if you think the 3-prong running regimen has to do with fast-twitch and slow-twitch muscles, of which the percentage of and abilities of in our bodies are fixed, and a result of genetics. You cannot build more fast-twitch muscles. Myo-fribular compositon is basically "hard-wired"--despite some bogus claims by various past fitness training trends.

They are also of little use to a middle- or long-distance runner as I was. It's the sprinters--800M and under--who are the fast-twitch guys. That type of muscle fiber is more conducive to excelling in their events. This can be seen with a cursory glance at the typical build of various runners: you will notice we get thinner and more mesomorph as the distances of our events increase. It is a directly proportional relationship.

Again...any more Q's---just ask!!

Gonna go do some interval training now. Yasso 800s tonite! (Maybe you should Google those too!) LOL.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:27 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,465,381 times
Give me a break dude. You know you are just making up the cardio memory thing. If it was a real thing, it would be... on the internet. I could also google "muscle memory" and cut and paste some words like "mitochondria" from wikipedia. LOL. Nice try.

You, the guy who claims to have ran a 10.8 100M on turf at 46 years of age, never having trained for it before, shouldn't have trouble with someone else's track experience claims.

This kind of nonsense is why people hate crossfitters. You fit the stereotype so well: 46, IT guy, just doing it for 6 months, smug, know-it-all, and are hitting all the nonsense points, I'm finding it hard to believe this isn't just an elaborate troll.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:54 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,174,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Vogel View Post
I'm guessing you don't work out much, either? And it definitely sounds as if you have never set foot inside a box.

The problem that many people who go to normal gyms have is that they are not pushed enough. They stay in their comfort zone. The lift what they want when they want and do cardio when the feel like it for as long as they can before taxing their limits at all. This is where CrossFit excels.

See, there is a thing called muscle memory and 'cardio memory" as well. That is, if you keep doing the same routines day in and day out--as the vast majority of gym-goers do--your body becomes very efficient at those tasks. Ask any gym-goer and they will tell you that, when they first began their fitness regiment, they saw some results after a few weeks and maybe got a bit more fit for a while, but then, usually somewhere around the five- or six-month mark, they leveled-off and, depending on what their goal was, stopped "losing weight" or "getting stronger." We call this "plateauing." And it happens to everyone, no exceptions, who go to normal gyms and train be themselves.

But you don't get this in CrossFit. That's because it "keeps those muscles confused" as Glassman call it, by varying the workouts via different WODs. In real life, to have optimum functional fitness you need to be able to excel at random, differing tasks. How many times have you seen a gym rat get totally whipped after one day on the job as a laborer at a construction site? Or landscaping? Or having to go play some full-court basketball?

See, with a good CFer, this would not happen; they would be up to the task at hand because of the variance. I realize I am tooting the CF horn yet again but I cannot help it on this subject, as I honestly believe this to be true.
This is why people hate Crossfitters. This whole post is basically a sh*t sundae, and I'm not sure how you gathered anything about my own workout experience based on the quote of mine you posted.

However, I am responding for one reason only, and that is to point out that I don't think you are properly appreciating the specificity principle. Yes, your body must be placed under greater demands in order to continue adaptation, otherwise plateauing will occur, but there must be some continuing commonality to the training in order to improve at a specific activity. In other words, if you want to get better at running, running is the best exercise. Sure, if you run one mile at a 7 minute pace every day and never change things up, you won't get better. But you improve by either increasing intensity or increasing volume (or both). You don't improve by swimming instead. I'm not saying there is no value to cross-training, but the idea that lifting weights in a gym will only yield improvement for six months is silly. If that were the case, there wouldn't be guys who could bench press a thousand pounds or have a powerlifting total of 2400 pounds. Did those guys get there in six months? Of course not! They varied their workouts while still performing specific training for a specific goal.

Btw, I know plenty of people who are in fantastic shape simply due to working out in a gym. Crossfit does not have a patent on fitness. And I stand by my previous claim -- if one's goal is simply to be prepared for life (things like landscaping and pickup basketball), then one can easily have that kind of fitness from working out in a gym.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:49 AM

515 posts, read 1,004,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
And I stand by my previous claim -- if one's goal is simply to be prepared for life (things like landscaping and pickup basketball), then one can easily have that kind of fitness from working out in a gym.
Nope, you probably plateaued years ago from "lack of functionalitis." You've probably never heard of it; only crossfit knows what working out is about

Old 03-13-2015, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
Give me a break dude. You know you are just making up the cardio memory thing. If it was a real thing, it would be... on the internet. I could also google "muscle memory" and cut and paste some words like "mitochondria" from wikipedia. LOL. Nice try.

You, the guy who claims to have ran a 10.8 100M on turf at 46 years of age, never having trained for it before, shouldn't have trouble with someone else's track experience claims.

This kind of nonsense is why people hate crossfitters. You fit the stereotype so well: 46, IT guy, just doing it for 6 months, smug, know-it-all, and are hitting all the nonsense points, I'm finding it hard to believe this isn't just an elaborate troll.

LOL---yeah, I actually was sort of making-up the "cardio memory" thing.

It's just a personal theory of mine; something I seem to have noticed in my particular modes of training over the years. I was assuming others have been afflicted with it as well.

Oh..but all that mitochondira/ATP stuff is legit! LOL

Old 03-13-2015, 04:54 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,174,777 times
Quote:
LOL---yeah, I actually was sort of making-up the "cardio memory" thing.

It's just a personal theory of mine; something I seem to have noticed in my particular modes of training over the years. I was assuming others have been afflicted with it as well.

Oh..but all that mitochondira/ATP stuff is legit! LOL
Then why did you say the following:

Quote:
If you have to Google anything about running that I have trouble with your track experience claims. But so be it.
So you made up a concept and then implied someone else wasn't knowledgable because they hadn't heard of it?

Combined with your claimed 10.8 100M dash (on grass, no less), I'm beginning to question anything that you say.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:24 PM

I have a new digital stop watch and have run the 100 yards (yes: yards, not meters, since I used the football field at nearby Mile High School)--using it a total of four times since I got my spurious 10.8 a while back. (which, btw, was also on the same field..sorry, I mis-spoke with M's & not Y's.)

these are my times...on grass-with shorts and t-shirt and my old soccer cleats:

11.84....11.73.....11.90....12.02------in order, two runs a day, on this past Wed. and Thurs.

timing myself by holding watch in right hand and just clicking at start and at crossing goal line.

Last edited by Der Vogel; 03-13-2015 at 08:38 PM..

Old 03-14-2015, 06:57 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
There is probably a positive correlation between kipping pull ups and slap tears. You may want to do some research.

At the end of the day, it's your body. People change as they get older. If there was anybody who didn't, they wouldn't grow old and die.

I'm 6'4", about 225lbs, 40 yrs old and have been doing CrossFit for ~5 years now. When should I be expecting those slap tears?

I've been to probably a dozen different gyms in 8-10 different states and have not come across anyone that got slap tears from doing kipping pull-ups.

I have no doubt that doing kipping pull-ups when you're not strong enough to control your body could lead to slap tears, but the same can be said for lots of different movements/exercises.

Old 03-14-2015, 07:03 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
...If a person wants to build muscles - Crossfit is NOT for them. There is no focus on growing/sculpting muscles.

Yeah, look at these pencil necked dweebs! No muscle growth there.....

Now is Glassman's comment about CrossFit being great for hypertrophy and second only to dedicated bodybuilding routines ridiculous? Absolutely. That doesn't make your statement above true, however.
Attached Thumbnails
CrossFit: Heaven sent? Or the AntiChrist? LOL-froningkhalipagarrett.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness