Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 05:17 PM

7 posts, read 7,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
The posters focussing on the o.p. motives and goals have at least a consensus. The posters offering diet advice are all over the map and some (a couple) are downright misinformed. Agreed. It does not appear that the o.p. needs a quick ten pound weight gain. I would advise learning this life lesson right now so self deprecation doesn't become an obsession and interfere with future emotional, professional or personal growth. To wit: "beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself".

That said, Ensure does not make a person lactose intolerant. You either are or you are not lactose intolerant. I don't know that Ensure has much lactose in any case. I plain cannot stand the way it tastes. Boost is my meal replacement of choice because it is the best tasting one out there. Period. It doesn't taste as good as it did in the 80's but who does? I know I don't. Boost has a high protein formula that is worth the extra buck or two per six pack.

If your face is looking drawn, are you properly hydrated? Do you drink enough water? 20 somethings are not known for their nutritional savvy. Your sample diet could use a lot of improvement. There are literally gigabytes of sound nutritional advice available for free online. Start researching. Learn to cook. I'm serious, a serious eater, which you want to become, should also be a serious cook. Over reliance on processed foods is going to put a LOT of Millenials in early graves. FWIW.

H
I do all the research I can and take recommendations and advice from others in order to improve myself. Regardless if its food, exercise , whatever the case may be, I am open in order to obtain the results i wish for. My picture does not reflect how i look everyday, that was just one day where i may have looked my best.

I have been drinking ensure for the past week, two bottles daily, and it does have lactose in it. I am not that sensitive to lactose but if i consume a great amount, i have a nauseous reaction. I just switched to boost, speaking of which, but i don't feel as if it does much justice for me, which is why i am asking if there are any alternatives such as protein powder, not as a meal replacement but to have after a meal. I only eat home cooked meals so i know what goes in it, and i prepare them daily.

for those who see me everyday can agree with what i am saying, which is why i ask. I have more than enough people asking me if i even eat because i look too skinny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 07:25 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,211,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yagirlliizzii3 View Post
I do all the research I can and take recommendations and advice from others in order to improve myself. Regardless if its food, exercise , whatever the case may be, I am open in order to obtain the results i wish for. My picture does not reflect how i look everyday, that was just one day where i may have looked my best.

I have been drinking ensure for the past week, two bottles daily, and it does have lactose in it. I am not that sensitive to lactose but if i consume a great amount, i have a nauseous reaction. I just switched to boost, speaking of which, but i don't feel as if it does much justice for me, which is why i am asking if there are any alternatives such as protein powder, not as a meal replacement but to have after a meal. I only eat home cooked meals so i know what goes in it, and i prepare them daily.

for those who see me everyday can agree with what i am saying, which is why i ask. I have more than enough people asking me if i even eat because i look too skinny.
You don't look too skinny. Some people are just like that, till of course menopause hits. Trust me, I've seen family members put on a good chunk of bodyweight once it begins. My mom was like you when I was a small boy 20 years ago. Now, in her late 40's after menopause, she suffers from obesity issues due to poor eating habits. Enjoy your current body.

Old 03-07-2015, 04:50 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,737,395 times
Find out what your body fat percentage is, if it is under the average for you age and height I would suggest putting on a few pounds of healthy fat.

Old 03-07-2015, 05:15 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Lol good luck with that.

I tried everything to gain weight when i was a kid, and nothing worked. I'm still like that now, but I accepted my fast metabolism decades ago.

At 57, you should have done that long ago. Yeesh.

Old 03-07-2015, 09:27 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,073,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Lol good luck with that.

I tried everything to gain weight when i was a kid, and nothing worked. I'm still like that now, but I accepted my fast metabolism decades ago.

Put your glasses on. She is 5 FOOT 7 INCHES, not 57yrs old...lol

OP...have you had your thyroid checked? My sil had/has graves disease (hyperthryoid) and was having a hard time maintaining her weight. There are other symptoms that go along with graves that can be very dangerous.

I'd make a visit to the doc. You could be dealing with more than just aesthetic issues.

Old 03-08-2015, 02:45 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post

OP...have you had your thyroid checked? My sil had/has graves disease (hyperthryoid) and was having a hard time maintaining her weight. There are other symptoms that go along with graves that can be very dangerous.

I'd make a visit to the doc. You could be dealing with more than just aesthetic issues.
Lol!

I love technology but these mobile devices can be a pain!

Old 03-09-2015, 09:05 AM

7 posts, read 7,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Lol good luck with that.

Yea uh I'm 22 lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post

I will def look into that, thank you.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:23 AM

685 posts, read 721,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
I'm always skeptical about super natural metabolism

@anyrate, that ensure stuff is absolutely junk. I personally, don't like drinking calories. If you want to add good calories? Add nuts, brown rice, avocados, EV olive oil to you're meals. A simple Google search should do the trick.
hawaiiancoconut: When I was in my early 20s, my weight was really low. I went in for thyroid tests and some count was way off. Sometimes it happens for real because it did for me. I question people who say they have a high metabolism, too, and if she's real, no reason not to respond.

Ensure is absolute junk as you said! My father was not exactly as brilliant at the end of his life. He was 80ish. He drank it. I was astounded when I did (no truth in marketing) and that's marketing for you... Nuts are high in fat (especially sunflower seeds) and you hit many other fattier foods.

If the OP wants, go to minimally Vitamin Shoppe to see a less sugar bath Ensure can be found. You may be able to catch them on sale and try one in case the taste is not what's liked.

Old 03-21-2015, 01:32 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
I've been pretty close to that myself - my sophomore year of high school, 5' 5'' and about 116 lbs. As others have said, you track your calories and then increase the number. 500 more per day will allow you to gain approximately 1 pound each week, because the rule of thumb is 3500 kcal = 1 lb. of body fat.

If you want to gain more muscle, of course, you'll need more, plus a decent combination of aerobic and anaerobic exercises.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:43 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,427,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yagirlliizzii3 View Post
I have the fastest metabolism that's out of control. I am 5'7, and just reached 115 lbs literally yesterday. I gained 2 pounds within this past week remarkably. I started eating 4 meals a day, drinking 2 ensures between meals and snacking on protein bars, fruits or whatever i can find that's healthy and I've seen a slight change just in this past week in my body.

if i don't eat for more than 5 hours i lose 2-3 pounds so i have no choice but to eat and its honestly the worst sometimes where i don't feel like eating as much or have time to meal prep everyday. Whatever i lose in a day, i can only gain back within a week or so.

Now i am looking for an alternative to ensure because its making me lactose intolerant and had been suggested to look into vegan protein powders but also seen a lot of good reviews for whey protein. If anyone has a similar problem, info that would help me out and can recommend some products that are beneficial to boost and maintain weight gain lmk. TIA.
You have parasites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness