Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 06:12 AM

332 posts, read 498,598 times

Advertisements

I'd echo most of the above sentiments. Start with brisk walking, do some cycling, elliptical, swimming etc. More of your low impact stuff. Then you can work up to doing walking/running intervals (like couch to 5k).
Running/jogging is high impact and if you hurt yourself (more likely with extra weight and stress on joints) then you're far less likely to maintain motivation for exercise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 07:23 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
I have run marathons and half marathons. People of all shapes and sizes run. Start slowly and build up! Couch to 5K is an excellent program.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:47 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,104,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
I had a friend doing triathlons when she was about 250 lbs. It took her a long time to work up to that and she lost almost 100 pounds in the process.

I disagree with someone who said 5k is a good place to start. If you are obese and mostly sedentary, do not get out and try to run 5k all at once the first time. The Couch to 5k plan works, according to people I've spoke with.

Talk to your doctor and start slow. Just don't stagnate and keep running the same path and the same distance forever.
I can vouch for the Couch to 5k program. I took a little longer than the suggested time period, but went from someone who had never run in my entire life to running a 5K (without stopping) in 16 weeks.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:18 AM

19 posts, read 17,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
I am obese and was thinking about running this summer. However, I don't think it is possible since my body isn't adapted to any kind of running at all. When I see pictures of runners they are all extremely thin. I never see anyone running that is obese.
That is absolutely not true. You can run but you have to start slowly..Maybe at first do more like fast walk and then easy running until you will be ready for something more.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:59 AM

1,608 posts, read 3,078,179 times
You'll have a heart attack!

Old 05-08-2015, 09:42 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,688,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
I am obese and was thinking about running this summer. However, I don't think it is possible since my body isn't adapted to any kind of running at all. When I see pictures of runners they are all extremely thin. I never see anyone running that is obese.

Baby steps. Start by doing regular walking, increase the time and the distance you walk fairly regularly, after awhile start doing more fast paced walking, just this alone should cause you to drop some weight if your diet is in check. Once you've been doing this for a month or two, start doing light jogging, first for 5 minutes and then 10, 15, 20 minutes....etc.

You'll work your way up to it in no time. Make sure you do consult with your doctor before starting any exercise regimen, particularly if you're taking any sort of medication, also make sure to buy some comfy running shoes, this is markedly more important when you are overweight. Go to a New Balance store or another place where someone can help you find the right fit for your feet.

Old 05-10-2015, 08:33 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,692,335 times
Maybe start off by walking short distance first, even if its just around the block. Take it slow but continue it and slowly build up each time a little longer and quicker.

Old 05-11-2015, 01:07 PM

22,339 posts, read 29,439,446 times
I would definitely start with walking first and consult your doctor.

Old 07-26-2015, 12:34 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,920,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
You'll have a heart attack!
Grrr

Start slowly! I'm pretty chunky and I can jog slowly for a couple of miles. The trick is not to get your heart rate sky-high early in the run, or you'll have to stop. Buy a heart monitor and aim for 65% of your maximum heart rate (that is, .65 x [220 minus your age]). I know there are more sophisticated formulas but that one is pretty good.

I keep my heart rate closer to 80% of maximum but that's just me being macho ;-)

Good luck.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:50 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
I recommend couch to 5k. This is a great plan that alternates walking and running till you can run for 30 minutes.
Here is a link: C25K: Couch to 5K

Not sure where you are today. For me, starting with "walking" is pretty useless. I walk a lot just during my daily activities (Per my step tracker, I average over 80k steps a week, it is rare for me to have under 10k in a day).

A few tips. I am still making my way through. And I have started, stopped and get sidetracked. The first go round, I found the first couple days were fine, then I hit a wall. And it was my shoes. I got some running shoes, and the foot pain went away. Now I don't have much foot pain to deal with. I am a special case as I have occasional bouts of plantar fasciitis. Mine isn't so serious that I have bothered to go to a physical therapist, as it lasts for a few days and goes away as long as I wear the right shoes. But finding the right shoes is critical and there is no overlap between shoes to run in, shoes to walk far in, and shoes to workout on gym equipment in.

One thing that isn't too helpful for me, is that I live in a hilly area. Finding a flat route near home is hard, I have found the flattest choices, but there are some gradual inclines. This makes my legs more tired, and I need a rest day! Depending on if your legs are "strong" you may find it helpful to combine the 200 squats workout with your running. Or run on the street instead of the sidewalk. The pavement is hard and a softer surface helps.

And definitely take your rest days! It is w=easy to get injured. This happened to a friend of mine and she needed knee surgery. My goals are a 5k and possibly a 10k. I also know those are distances that are easy for me to walk.

So if you can walk 45-60 minutes at a pace of 20 min per mile, you are fine to start running in my book. If that is too hard for you right now, start with walking, build up your speed till you get around that time and speed. Then do couch to 5k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness